Scared to return to work

(12 Posts)
icepole Thu 03-Jan-13 16:11:58

I have been off since Oct with post viral fatigue. Tried to return to work before Xmas with a phased return from dr, agreed to do mornings only but school changed this when I arrived and gave me much more, when I said it was too much they said I had to do it. I was in tears by 9:15 and felt hellish by lunchtime. Union were involved and the dr signed me off again, I haven't been back since.

I had some acupuncture before Xmas and it had helped a lot although I am not symptom free. A much better place though.

Tomorrow I see my dr and I am very stressed. I am scared to return to work. I have asked for support from occupational health three times but school won't process it. I have lost confidence in my ability to cope with the job. I am terrified of setting myself back health wise, not feeling sick every day is very nice. On the other hand I plan to leave, get out by Easter I hope. I want to sort out my senior classes, end the job well.

I teach secondary, practical subject so no hiding place or quiet days. I was finding the j

icepole Thu 03-Jan-13 16:13:32

Posted too soon, I was finding the job very stressful, I am not confident I can get through a full week but maybe it is better to push through, the longer I am off the harder going back will be.

ash1971 Sat 05-Jan-13 23:28:29

How did it go with the doctor? Will you be going back?

mercibucket Sat 05-Jan-13 23:33:37

why not just stay off sick until you feel well? school are not helping you , and they won't care if you run yourself into the ground, so why do it?

icepole Sun 06-Jan-13 09:23:04

That is what my dr said! I am just worried about my classes but I am not up to a full week. Going to make another push for OH to support me.

cardibach Sun 06-Jan-13 15:07:35

Get your Dr to insist on a back to work meeting before you go back - they will be reluctant, but if he refuses to sign you back to work otherwise, they will have to. make it clear at that meeting, with a letter from your Dr if you can get it, that you will not be coming back unless OH are involved and you have an agreed phased return that is adhered to. mercibucket is right - the school won't care unless you make them. long term this is better for the children you teach - you look after them by looking after yourself.

icepole Mon 07-Jan-13 17:56:30

God advice thank you. Unfortunately did not have much joy today, they insist no discussion can be had on phased return until I give them a return date. Still no OH involvement and they are going to cut my favourite class.

donteatthefiggypudding Mon 07-Jan-13 17:59:10

are you in a union? get them involved if so. i returned to work today after 9 months off. no phased return, straight in covering a class. Walked out at 11.30! Union are very good.

icepole Mon 07-Jan-13 18:08:17

Bloody hell that is awful! I have been in touch with the union who advised me to self refer to OH but council have said I can't do that.

What did your union say?

The class they are cutting is the only one I have sent extensive work for. They don't need to cut it but there is no point in fighting it. I used to like teaching. This job has destroyed me.

donteatthefiggypudding Mon 07-Jan-13 18:36:18

I wrote to my (new) manager, and requested a staged return. I suggested a possible timetable - shadowing for the first week, for example. i cc'd my union in, and made sure that my boss knew that.
i haven't heard back yet, but I think it will be ok. i have said that i won;t be in tomorrow, but suggested i go in on wednesday.
have you tried your self-referral? if so, and OH won't see you, then you need to go back to your union. use them - you pay their subs every month!

icepole Tue 08-Jan-13 14:37:50

Have you heard back yet? I think I will ask the union for advice again as I am worried about trying to negotiate a phased return with SMT.

donteatthefiggypudding Tue 08-Jan-13 17:16:13

manager is ringing me later! yes, go back to your union.
hope you are feeling better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now