Reality of being a parent And a teacher - School concerts etc

(28 Posts)
tjah04 Thu 06-Dec-12 08:49:13

I just wondered how many of you had understanding Heads of School who allowed time off to see Xmas plays and realistically how often you can expect them to allow this a year?

MushroomSoup Thu 14-Feb-13 20:58:07

I'm a primary HT. I insist my staff go. I'll cover myself, if necessary!

BeattyBeatty Sat 16-Feb-13 21:07:14

Goodness! I must be very very lucky! My ht is lovely and has always let me go to all! However I am part time so I rarely need the time as all 'performances' seem to take place at end of the week!
He is a very good head though and allows everyone time out assemblies etc. Even very understanding when dcs ill and I have to look after them.
I do firmly believe that he recognises if you treat your staff well... You get it back in willingness iykwim! I have never taken the mick... And if he needs me to be flexible I'll always try to accommodate!
I'm leaving in July! So I'll make sure he knows how much I've appreciated it! grin

HedgeHogGroup Wed 20-Feb-13 21:30:06

I'm a HT myself and have 2 DC (7 & 3) I always insist that staff go to these things as I want to go myself (my 3yo is in my school nursery pt).
The staff in my school do not take the piss and I would be really sad if they didn't feel they could ask me.
Some other HTs think I'm a soft-touch but all my staff are 'good' or 'outstanding' and I think they deserve my support smile
I've worked for both types of HT - those who bend over backwards to let you go and those who point-blank refuse and I have to say... a little bit of goodwill goes a long way!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now