How much work should a TA take home?

(61 Posts)
beamme Sun 18-Nov-12 16:24:06

Out of interest what is reasonable? I'm all for a little bit of cutting out, but we have been asked to do children's learning journey's at home. Is this usual?

DizzyHoneyBee Tue 26-Feb-13 20:30:17

Nothing but I often do work during my lunch break; usually planning.

HellesBelles396 Fri 15-Feb-13 19:38:47

I'm an hlta and none of the teachers would dream of asking anyone in the sen department to take work home. as many have said, we're paid hourly. I have 3 free hours a week to do admin, meetings etc.

ninah Tue 05-Feb-13 15:59:51

I used to do all my Learning Journals and reports at home when I was a nursery TA. We got an hour's admin time a week which is not enough. I also contributed to the planning and wrote reports. But I wanted to teach so I was glad of the experience.

ShakeWellBeforeOpening Tue 05-Feb-13 14:29:22

I know alot of staff who work in playgroups (qualified) - they get paid less than a TA and they take learning journeys home to update as they do not have the time to do it whilst at their setting. They get no extra for it - there is no extra money for it.

madwomanintheattic Tue 05-Feb-13 14:14:28

Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing.

I am stunned.

zingally Tue 05-Feb-13 14:10:06

I'd never dream of asking my TA to take work home. I've been very lucky and sometimes have had TAs who offer to take home cutting out to do in front of the TV, but I've never asked them to, or thought any worse of TAs who don't offer.

Durab Sun 18-Nov-12 21:48:22

Beamme, I do the finances for our school - an average teacher here would need to work 18+ hours a day to be earning less per hour than you do, and they don't grin

exoticfruits Sun 18-Nov-12 21:32:36

Show her the thread since she doesn't appear to realise!

GW297 Sun 18-Nov-12 21:31:21

NOTHING! Even if you are a TA in nursery with your own key group.

Pozzled Sun 18-Nov-12 21:02:46

Some of the TAs at my school stay late occasionally, but it's always completely voluntary- like helping out with the Yr 6 performance or a special coffee morning. No teacher would dream of asking them to work in their own time.

Durab Sun 18-Nov-12 20:55:51

At the school where I work TAs do nothing over and above the their contracted hours unless they can claim overtime - honestly, if they stay 10 mins late to talk to a parent they will claim it, you really shouldn't be taking anything home.

ihearsounds Sun 18-Nov-12 20:36:07

I have never taken anything home. I am paid for xx hours a week, and after that I either don't work or submit an extra hours sheet.
It has nothing to do with managing your time, but about hours paid for. Any extra work that cannot be done in the class line manager works it into the timetable.
Those who take home stuff to cut out, exactly what are you taking home to cut out and why?

MrsJourns Sun 18-Nov-12 20:14:24

None!
I would never dream of expecting my TAs to do anything at home.

Viviennemary Sun 18-Nov-12 19:12:18

I didn't think it was usual to ask a TA to take work home. I wonder who is doing the asking.

LeeCoakley Sun 18-Nov-12 19:10:37

Is your teacher aware that you are hourly paid op? At our school all the TAs are hourly paid but the Nursery Nurse is salaried and does more outside of 9 to 3 because it's part of her job description. I was just wondering if your teacher thought that you should be expected to do work at home because of your pay structure and doesn't realise you shouldn't have to.

I am a TA and used to bring the odd bit of work home. But we recently had a new SENCO and she arranged for us all to have an hour's prep time in our timetable so now we use that grin

We are all SN / SEN / EAL TA's instead of class based and we are ususally working in one to one situations or with intervention groups which require planning and prep time so we were very pleased with the new timetables!

Sadly we hardly ever do cutting out now. I used to love a good bit of cutting out! Ancillary time has been cut right back and the few times the teachers require a display they do them themselves...

Hulababy Sun 18-Nov-12 19:05:19

exoticfruits - yes, DH says the same. But I like being in one place and also prefer to have the two way relationship with the children I teacher, because of getting to know them, etc. I am also quite particular - once a teacher, always a teacher I think is part of it. This week I am hoping to finish finalising some additional resource time in order to have more time at school, in paid hours, to complete all the stuff that needs doing.

exoticfruits Sun 18-Nov-12 19:03:06

I would do supply work instead Hulababy- certainly not that amount for the pay. They are getting a teacher on the cheap.

exoticfruits Sun 18-Nov-12 19:01:24

And don't let her make you feel guilty- I don't know any teacher who would expect a TA to take work home. Sometimes they are grateful if they cut something out at home, sew a costume etc but they are fully aware that it is their good nature and not part of the job.

Hulababy Sun 18-Nov-12 19:01:14

I am a TA - part time level 3, part time HLTA. I have planning and marking to do for PPA cover (all the ICT planning for the year group), for phonics teaching, for my early morning literacy support group and one or two other groups. I also do general class stuff.

I have less work to do in an evening/weekend than when I was a teacher, but still enough to keep me busy of an evening. I always have some work to do at a weekend.

I get PPA time of mine for the HLTA work - but it is no where near enough time to do everything I need to do.

exoticfruits Sun 18-Nov-12 18:58:45

VioletStar is quite right. Tell her that many teachers become TA (true) because they don't want to take work home.

Hassled Sun 18-Nov-12 18:56:47

Go into the office and get an additional hours claim form. Before you complete it, wave it in front of witch person and say "I'm just completing this for that extra work you asked me to do". She may well have a rethink.

cornykatona Sun 18-Nov-12 18:55:32

<don't know why I put an apostrophe in teachers> hmm

VioletStar Sun 18-Nov-12 18:54:28

beamme tell her as a teacher she works for a salary ie does the job for a set amount each month regardless of hours. (Oh and tell her to quit whingeing). You work for set number of hours and not a salary like her.

ps I am a teacher too - no way should TAs be working outside their set hours!

cornykatona Sun 18-Nov-12 18:54:23

Teachers have to work 1265 hours a year. The teaching day doesn't cover this - teacher's are required to do extra work to meet the 1265 hours. It's called directed time. Remind the teacher of this OP wink
Can you speak to the Head?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now