How much work should a TA take home?

(61 Posts)
beamme Sun 18-Nov-12 16:24:06

Out of interest what is reasonable? I'm all for a little bit of cutting out, but we have been asked to do children's learning journey's at home. Is this usual?

Durab Sun 18-Nov-12 20:55:51

At the school where I work TAs do nothing over and above the their contracted hours unless they can claim overtime - honestly, if they stay 10 mins late to talk to a parent they will claim it, you really shouldn't be taking anything home.

Pozzled Sun 18-Nov-12 21:02:46

Some of the TAs at my school stay late occasionally, but it's always completely voluntary- like helping out with the Yr 6 performance or a special coffee morning. No teacher would dream of asking them to work in their own time.

GW297 Sun 18-Nov-12 21:31:21

NOTHING! Even if you are a TA in nursery with your own key group.

exoticfruits Sun 18-Nov-12 21:32:36

Show her the thread since she doesn't appear to realise!

Durab Sun 18-Nov-12 21:48:22

Beamme, I do the finances for our school - an average teacher here would need to work 18+ hours a day to be earning less per hour than you do, and they don't grin

zingally Tue 05-Feb-13 14:10:06

I'd never dream of asking my TA to take work home. I've been very lucky and sometimes have had TAs who offer to take home cutting out to do in front of the TV, but I've never asked them to, or thought any worse of TAs who don't offer.

madwomanintheattic Tue 05-Feb-13 14:14:28

Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing.

I am stunned.

ShakeWellBeforeOpening Tue 05-Feb-13 14:29:22

I know alot of staff who work in playgroups (qualified) - they get paid less than a TA and they take learning journeys home to update as they do not have the time to do it whilst at their setting. They get no extra for it - there is no extra money for it.

ninah Tue 05-Feb-13 15:59:51

I used to do all my Learning Journals and reports at home when I was a nursery TA. We got an hour's admin time a week which is not enough. I also contributed to the planning and wrote reports. But I wanted to teach so I was glad of the experience.

HellesBelles396 Fri 15-Feb-13 19:38:47

I'm an hlta and none of the teachers would dream of asking anyone in the sen department to take work home. as many have said, we're paid hourly. I have 3 free hours a week to do admin, meetings etc.

DizzyHoneyBee Tue 26-Feb-13 20:30:17

Nothing but I often do work during my lunch break; usually planning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now