Prince Charles's black spider memos

(7 Posts)
sieglinde Wed 17-Oct-12 13:14:27

Why are we not allowed to see these? we're being told that it's because it would make it clear that he's not politically neutral. But this pretty much gives the game away, surely? He SHOULD BE politically neutral. I think he's a threat to the monarchy.

AuntieStella Wed 17-Oct-12 13:18:47

I don't think any monarch's or heir's correspondence has been released contemporaneously, and the Monarchy doesn't seem to have been particularly threatened over the centuries because of that.

Inneedofbrandy Wed 17-Oct-12 13:24:14

I don't think anybody can personally be nutreul about politics. There is a big diff from personal life an work life though and so what if he's a Tory/labour/green?

sieglinde Wed 17-Oct-12 15:11:01

Reserve powers, Inneedofbrandy. Suppose that at the last election the Lib dems and the Tories had been unable to form a coalition and suppose the Lib dems and labour had also fallen out. It would then fall upon the monarch to choose a leader to form a minority government, and here a track record of support for a particular party could be a problem.

Auntiestella, you are evidently not aware of the publication of Charles I's captured letters to Henrietta Maria after the battle of Naseby, and the huge impact they had on public opinion?

sieglinde Thu 18-Oct-12 10:06:07

Oh look. Everybody's gone.

AuntieStella Wed 12-Mar-14 14:37:07

I'm reanimating this thread to link a news article today as the Appeal Court has ruled that the ban on publication is unlawful

I wonder if they will now be released, or if there are further legal avenues.

sesw Wed 12-Mar-14 14:44:03

Sieglinde.

Very interesting post and history pointer. I liked the reference.

For what it's worth I think they should remain private.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now