why is Sophie Wessex called that? Why not Windsor as a surname?

(9 Posts)
FayeGovan Thu 07-Jun-12 18:13:58

Charles isn't called Charles Wales, or Andrew called Andrew York?

so why is their surname Wessex?

notnowImreading Thu 07-Jun-12 18:15:19

I think Charles is called Wales. William and Harry are certainly called Wales - think they have it on their uniforms.

HMQueenElizabeth Thu 07-Jun-12 18:16:20

Charles is Charles Wales (as is Harry), William is William Cambridge and Andrew is Andrew York (as is Beatrice and Eugenie)... It's just why they do.

Chubfuddler Thu 07-Jun-12 18:17:51

I think their surname is mount batten Windsor, and the Sophie Wessex is just tabloid speak. I'm prepared to be wrong.

Princess Diana wasn't actually Princess Diana - she was the Princess of Wales. You can only be Princess + your name if you are of royal blood, like Eugenie and Beatrice.

And William's surname is Wales.

HMQueenElizabeth Thu 07-Jun-12 18:19:41

Yes they're actual surname is not Wessex, Wales, York etc... But it's what they use.

I'm pretty sure William became Cambridge (as did Catherine) when they became a Duke an Duchess in their own right.

topsmart Thu 07-Jun-12 18:22:08

But aren't the papers calling William 'flight lieutenant Wales' (or similar) since he recently passed those exams? So he's still Wales, not Cambridge. Whole thing is confusing!

hugglymugly Thu 07-Jun-12 19:52:03

As far as I know, the main Royal Family don't have an actual surname, as such. The "family" name is Mountbatten-Windsor, which is a bit like the "family" name of the Stuarts - it's to do with being a close relative of the head of the "House of..." rather than acting as a surname.

William and Harry decided to use the term "Wales" as their surname in the Forces, so that's why the press refer to them that way. When the Queen (then Princess) was in the ATS she was Lt Windsor.

MooncupGoddess Thu 07-Jun-12 19:54:41

It's not unusual with aristocratic titles - cf Debo Devonshire, Elizabeth Longford.

GitAwfMayLend Thu 07-Jun-12 19:58:59

Yes, re Deborah Devonshire she changed her surname according to her title, even though Cavendish is the family surname.

So when she first married and her husband was Lord Andrew Cavendish she was Lady (Andrew) Cavendish.

Then when his brother died he took his title so was the Marquess of Hartington so she was Deborah Hartington.

Then when he inherited she became the Duchess of Devonshire and her name was Deborah Devonshire.

Think it is the same with the royals and the surnames Windsor/Mountbatten-Windsor

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now