Need to rehome cat

(43 Posts)
iloveavocado Fri 08-Mar-13 17:18:58

Hello, I am distraught writing this but I just don't know what to do. We have a lovely friendly 6 year old female cat. We've had her since she was a kitten and she is part of the family. The problem is with my DD (14 months). Since she was born DD has had sticky eyes, terrible skin conditions and has begun to develop some breathing problems - namely a persistent cough. A couple of weeks ago her breathing was so bad she had to go to A and E. The doctor there said the cat has to go.

We went away last week and my mum looked after the cat and even just in 2 week DD's conditions have significantly improved. The cat's back and last night DD scratched herself until she bled.

As much as I love the cat DD has to come first, but what now? I don't want to advertise on Gumtree and have her taken away to be ripped up by fighting dogs. I want her to go to a loving home.

Please don't judge me. I'd really lie some advice.

Thanks in advance...

iloveavocado Wed 13-Mar-13 18:17:41

You're right, it is mixed emotions. It's hard to see a member of the family go and DD and DS both really love her but they're both young enough to get over it pretty quick. I think and she's going to be going somewhere where is is loved and happy and DD's health will be much better so I am happy, but very sad as well to be saying goodbye.

EmpressMaud Tue 12-Mar-13 18:54:32

Was just wondering if I might manage it as I have two indoor cats, but am so glad you've now found a home for her.

cozietoesie Tue 12-Mar-13 18:15:26

Wow! Good news - although with mixed emotions as Sparkling said.

smile

Sparklingbrook Tue 12-Mar-13 18:13:38

Yay!! That's good news. Mixed emotions for you though. xx

iloveavocado Tue 12-Mar-13 18:12:57

Thanks Sparkling.

Someone has been in touch and it looks like we've found a new home for the cat. I'm so relieved. Thank you to everyone for all your help...

Sparklingbrook Tue 12-Mar-13 13:51:19

Sparklingbrook Tue 12-Mar-13 10:30:16

iloveavocado Tue 12-Mar-13 09:04:22

Thank Penelope, that's a good idea.

PeneloPeePitstop Tue 12-Mar-13 08:47:19

In the meantime whilst you're waiting try to reduce the dander. If she'll let you wipe her with a damp wipe a couple of times a day (nt wet) to remove it that might help with allergens.

iloveavocado Tue 12-Mar-13 08:41:25

Hi, I'm in Chapeltown but would be happy to drive within an hour of Leeds, maybe even more if I knew she was going to a good home where she'd be loved and well looked after.

I'll check out the Mumsnet Local page and see if there's a Leeds one and if I can post there. Thanks for all your suggestions. I hope we get this sorted soon...

manticlimactic Tue 12-Mar-13 08:02:19

I tried to get a cat from CP but was refused as I already had two cats and they said that my tenancy agreement wouldn't allow more than two pets. I showed her my agreement that had no such clause. They still refused. Not surprised they have a waiting list.

I would have the cat, I'm in Leeds but I've got 4 now and already have the title of the mad woman with all the cats grin

Try on Mumsnet Local for Leeds (if there is one) out Yorkshire if not. They might help by posting on their social media and stuff too

StripeyWindow Mon 11-Mar-13 21:37:40

Which side of Leeds are you?

iloveavocado Mon 11-Mar-13 20:46:06

Oh LackaDAISY that's so sad for you. Thanks for asking round. I've asked all my friends and family and no one wants the commitment right now.

cozietoesie Mon 11-Mar-13 20:37:13

That would be a kindness, LackaDAISYcal.

LackaDAISYcal Italy Mon 11-Mar-13 20:36:07

Oh, I wish I could take her, but two of our cats have been killed on the road and I fear I would be sending her to a certain death sad

I can ask around locally though smile

cozietoesie Mon 11-Mar-13 20:31:47

Good luck, avocado.

Sparklingbrook Mon 11-Mar-13 20:31:30

sad There must be.

iloveavocado Mon 11-Mar-13 20:30:31

I know. I thought that. I guess there's a lot of unwanted cats about. It's really sad isn't it...

Sparklingbrook Mon 11-Mar-13 20:23:30

I don't get the CP 8 months plus thing. Do they never rehome any cats? confused

iloveavocado Mon 11-Mar-13 20:20:42

Cats protection said their waiting list is too long - 8 months +.

Sparkling - that's a good idea - I'll do the chat thing now. Thanks...

cozietoesie Mon 11-Mar-13 20:11:11

Keep trying to think positively, avocado. Difficult situation for you. Have Cats Protection got back to you at all?

Sparklingbrook Mon 11-Mar-13 19:52:53

Would it be worth starting a thread in Chat appealing to people in Leeds and linking to this thread?

iloveavocado Mon 11-Mar-13 19:50:20

Sill no joy. I called all the local cat rescue places today and all are full and not even accepting cats on to a waiting list. I've put up a sign in the vet.

I feel terrible going to such efforts to find somewhere else for the poor little thing to live and she's so lovely and loving. Please if anyone can help get in touch and put us all out of our misery.

iloveavocado Sun 10-Mar-13 14:03:02

Oh no worries QueenStromba. Hope your new cat is settling in.

I've just posted on Catchat.

Thanks again everyone...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now