Keeping kitten away from the road

(16 Posts)

That's a good idea, I hadn't thought of doing that.

fackinell Mon 18-Feb-13 19:17:26

Yes, Tough, but I was going to use it on the drive to stop him crossing to the road. DP thinks it a waste of time as he can get out from neighbour's garden but it may also keep the dog out of our's. my poor boys tail was a mess!! hmm

fackinell Mon 18-Feb-13 19:15:14

Ooooh vair naice, Cozey!! I had a Victorian flat in Dunfermline. Had a big hatch in the living room floor and you could explore under the house. Gotta love those high ceilings and shutters. I aim to have a place in Edinburgh like the flat in shallow grave!!

Sensors I mean.

Would that be the ones that you buy to deter cats in your garden?

cozietoesie Mon 18-Feb-13 19:03:09

Well to be fair, it is naice. Scottish Victorian beats most and it's original .(Sadly the roof is also original.)

fackinell Mon 18-Feb-13 17:57:16

grin Cozie, I was thinking what a naice home you must have there. Yeah I'm going to have to trust him on this. We have a cat flap to the backies so let's hope he finds the trees and gardens more exciting than the road.

cozietoesie Mon 18-Feb-13 13:44:15

Sorry - when I say 'big old house' I'm not talking Blenheim here. It's a Victorian terraced house - just nice and roomy with stairs to provide 'galloping' options.

cozietoesie Mon 18-Feb-13 13:23:07

I think that that's right Lone.

fackinell

Not everyone can have a housecat. I work from home, I have a big old house which provides lots of room and play - and I've long had Siamese who are blissed out if they have a person to love 24/7.

You'll just have to go with the flow on this one.

fackinell Mon 18-Feb-13 12:41:01

Oh dear, Cozie!! Your poor mum and kitties. I guess I'm just going to have to trust him. I am paranoid about roads but my old lad survived 2 busy roads either end with ours as a short cut, (old house) before having to be pts for a heap of illnesses. Wing and a prayer I guess then.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 18-Feb-13 12:14:45

Cozie your Mum's experience backs my theory that a really busy road is much better that a road that is 'quiet', but occasionally a car drives down it really fast.

cozietoesie Mon 18-Feb-13 11:55:11

You can't.

My mom had a whole host of Siamese and all of them (apart from my seniorboy) were car'd within a year or two. She lived on what was supposed to be a quiet country road as well but it seems that the local fly boys used to use it as a drag place - because it was quiet and the police weren't around.

Anyway - she decided, eventually, to make seniorboy a housecat. He's now a very happy 18 year old.

fackinell Mon 18-Feb-13 10:50:12

Thanks for your reply, Lonecat. I'm hoping he sticks to the back but round the front is very exciting with a high wall and chicken coop so I anticipate he will. I will stop letting him out the front door though.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 18-Feb-13 08:39:45

I live on a main trunk route with artics going past day and night to an M&S depot. So a death trap to cats. Firstly I never ever let them out the front of the house, secondly for the first 70feet the fences at the back of the house are 6 foot high. In 7 years the cats have never gone to the front of the house near the road.

fackinell Sun 17-Feb-13 23:37:33

Bump

fackinell Sun 17-Feb-13 21:05:06

We live at the end of a fairly long drive, maybe 45m or so. At the bottom of the drive is a long, straight road that cars and emergency services regularly do at least 40-50 mph along.

Our 5mth old kitten is starting to have supervised exploration outside and today headed straight down the drive to the road. I ran in front of him as calmly as possible and scooped him up before he could get there.

I'm now panicking about letting him out. There are two large gardens at the house end of the drive but he will at some point explore the driveway.

My other cat had his tail badly bitten by the neighbour's dog from the house further down the drive too!! I know you can get those sensors that deter cats and dogs from passing a certain point. Anyone have any idea what they're called and if they're any use?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now