Leaving cat home alone all weekend?

(9 Posts)
Fluffycloudland77 Tue 22-Jan-13 16:36:10

I think it's actually illegal not to have someone check them every 24hrs. There was a poster on here last year who had the RSPCA making enquiries into her pets after a holiday.

I don't leave ours in case he got injured or poisoned and I wasn't there to deal with it. I do worry about anti freeze this time of year though which might just be me.

I've looked after my friends cats for a few days at a time and they were fine! I popped in morning and evening to feed and water, a few cuddles etc. took no time at all and they were fine. Much better and less stressful for them and none of the peeing all over the place u get after cattery stay and the toilet confusion.

Just be prepared for them to ignore u for a few hours after grin

RingoBaa Tue 22-Jan-13 13:50:17

Thank you! It sounds really positive. I really don't know my neighbours at all so wouldn't feel comfortable giving any of them a key to our house.

I'm sure the cat would be happier home alone than in the car. I will have a look for a feeder.

Hopefully he will be ok.

Could a neighbor pop in once a day to Feed and water. They be fine by the way in their own just neec someone to pop in or a timed feeder

Our cat is more attached to her home than she is to us. So we have a cat food timer which we use if we are going away for a weekend. Any long and we use a pet feeding service.

LPplusOne Tue 22-Jan-13 06:25:54

You can get a 2-day or 5-day automatic pet feeder. That, plus an electric water fountain and your cat should be fine.

TheNebulousBoojum Tue 22-Jan-13 06:18:00

We have a cat water fountain that is fantastic for supplying clean, filtered water.
Not sure how you'd do two days of food though.

TwoFacedCows Tue 22-Jan-13 06:04:55

i have left mine alone for that long before. I leave the bathroom tap dripping so that he always has fresh water, as well as leaving water bowls and food.

He is always sparko on bed when i return, but is very pleased to see us!

RingoBaa Tue 22-Jan-13 04:53:22

We are going away for the weekend to visit family. The cat hates the car. The last time we went we took him and he literally cried the whole 6 hour journey. It was awful. I don't know our neighbours well as we only recently moved in, so I can't ask them to cat-sit.

So do you think he will be ok for 2 nights away if we leave him plenty of food and water or is it better to find a cat hotel (expensive) or drug him up for the journey (poor thing)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now