Really want a kitten, but is this a bad idea?....

(14 Posts)
cozietoesie Sat 29-Dec-12 19:48:26

Pee is unlikely to be your problem but you might have issues if they're sick (as most cats are on occasion.) Then you have the problem of cleaning up the stuff which has drifted down the holes into the bottom of the sisal layer. It can be done - more easily if you have sisal rugs and an outdoors where you can drag them out on a sunny day and give them a good scrub with hot water - but be warned.

Convert Sat 29-Dec-12 19:24:56

I have three cats (I know, I'm straying in to crazy cat lady territory grin ) and none of them has ever pee'd anywhere but in the litter tray.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 29-Dec-12 19:24:38

Cats can have accidents though and if stains worry you then don't get one because you will have to clean up wee, sick and poo.

Our cat never sprayed until he was 3, he had diarrhoea in the kitchen sink once and has sprayed the curtains due to stress, plus the bed.

Sparklingbrook Sat 29-Dec-12 19:23:21

And when you get the kitten it's MN rules that you put a pic on your profile. Good luck. grin

ODearMe Sat 29-Dec-12 19:22:23

Great reassuring advice, I will attack DH with it!

Thanks all smile

LegoAcupuncture Sat 29-Dec-12 19:10:51

Most kittens as litter trained when you get them, they learn more or less as soon as they stop relying on their mum to do it.

As for the flooring, get a scratch post and direct them there should you find them scratching.

Sparklingbrook Sat 29-Dec-12 19:02:21

Even little kittens clamber into the tray to do their business. smile

notapizzaeater Sat 29-Dec-12 19:02:20

And we got her when she was very young (6 weeks) from a rescue

notapizzaeater Sat 29-Dec-12 19:01:38

We brought her home and just picked her up and put her on the litter tray a few times in the first hour then about 2 hours later she went straight to the tray and peed in it - honestly ht easy! Nw she as a tray which I check every few days blush but she never goes in it prefers the garden ....

MrsWolowitz Sat 29-Dec-12 18:58:15

No experience of the flooring but why not get a rescue cat? Then it will be a bit older and be more used to a litter tray.

My rescue cat is about 5 (she was a stray so they don't know). She's never once weed or pooed anywhere but her tray. We don't even have a tray anymore as she uses her cat flap and poos at the end of the garden.

Sparklingbrook Sat 29-Dec-12 18:57:42

I wouldn't worry. Cats are generally very good at using their trays and would rather not pee on the floor if possible.

How can getting a kitten be a bad idea? envy

ODearMe Sat 29-Dec-12 18:57:26

That is good news, is it easy to train a kitten to pee in the cat litter?

notapizzaeater Sat 29-Dec-12 18:54:26

Not sure about the flooring for scratching but our kitten never ever peed or popped any where other than her litter tray

ODearMe Sat 29-Dec-12 18:47:15

as we have woven sisal flooring, which will be fab for claws but we are concerned about stains from cat pee.

Anyone else got cats and this flooring and it turn out fine?

Any tips if they do pee on it?

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now