Kittens and new sofas/rugs etc.

(33 Posts)
TryingagainN1mtb Thu 27-Dec-12 14:50:39

Hello,

I'm thinking of getting a pair of kittens in the new year. I've grown up with cats/kittens and my parents still have them so know what is involved generally but we've just bought new sofas/rugs etc. and I'm worried that the kittens will destroy them. My parents never attempted to train cats properly and have scratched up sofas and carpets (well, to some extent) although they have had the carpets (and cats) for 27 years!

Is it possible to stop kittens ruining nice new sofas?! Does a sharp clap of the hands and a firm "NO!" or some water spray really train them not to? I was thinking of trying that along with having a good scratching post which I'd try to encourage them to use (with treats or something). However, I do know cats are not like dogs and cannot be trained in the same way (or to the same extent!

I'm going to be a stay at home mum for a bit from January so I thought now was a good time to get kittens if we're ever going to. Husband is not keen at all so we haven't had them before. (He didn't want the responsibility - quite funny, given that we have two smallish children who you have to show a little more responsibility towards...)

I'm qutie confident about all the other new-kitten related issues! My cat when I was growing up had kittens (when I was 11) and then there were a few more litters in our home.

Any experience would be gratefully received! Thank you!

Oh yes, I'd be getting kittens from a local rescue home so they'll be moggies.

tabulahrasa Mon 07-Jan-13 08:06:37

Mine don't stratch the furniture, ones a Siamese one isn't...but they do run across it and leave marks.

TryingagainN1mtb Mon 07-Jan-13 08:15:37

Great - thanks for all the tips! Definitely buying a XXL scratching post!

I live in south east London I'm afraid! (Big garden though.) I like the idea of getting kittens or a kitten from a local shelter if I can but I'd be very happy to take a neighbour's kitten if it needed a home (although pretty sure most people round here will have neutered their cats). Very happy with a moggie too, as that's what i've grown up with, although siameses do sound fun! I'm sure they'll be lots of people after Siamese kittens in the north east though!

Any thoughts on one or two cats?! Thank you!

moonbells Mon 07-Jan-13 08:30:26

We had an old lady who would scratch an old sofa. In the end we got fed up of the ugly thing and scrapped it, but not before taking off all the material, which I then covered a standard scratching post with.

She went unerringly for the post after that. So it was a texture thing.

We are also wanting kittens (Miss died 15mths ago) and have an extremely beat-up torn suite and we're not swapping it until well after kittens have turned into cats! that and we can't afford a new one

moonbells Mon 07-Jan-13 08:31:05

ooops blush old lady cat and we scrapped the ugly sofa. Not the cat!

TryingagainN1mtb Mon 07-Jan-13 08:40:40

I didn't think you meant that moonbells! Hmmm. V interesting!

gobbin Mon 07-Jan-13 19:29:34

Two kittens who are siblings should work out ok. We've had non-sibling cats of different ages in the past and, whilst they all got on with each other, it was more a case of tolerating the others. Our current sibling kitts (and mum) are a very strong unit and whilst they now like to spread out around the house they also spend a fair bit of time cuddled up in (ever-changing) pairs or sometimes all three together. Sweet!

TryingagainN1mtb Tue 08-Jan-13 18:57:58

Thanks Gobbin. I guess we just had bad luck then... We've always had siblings or mother/child pairs but, at best, they tolerated each other. And that's been the case with all my parents' cats for the last 40 years!! Maybe it's more to do with them (although they are caring cat owners, honest....)!

A pair it is then!

VenusRising Wed 09-Jan-13 21:34:10

Scratching post and clip their claws (careful with this, just the sharp piont, not to cut the quick).
We have no problems with our kitty who is a tonkinese. She loves her sisal cat tree, and we clip the sharp points of her claws.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now