very very sick cat :-(

(122 Posts)
iamapushymum Sun 09-Dec-12 22:32:45

Our year old cat started looking ill on Friday night .Just sitting still with glazed eyes and overnight she vomited bile.Saturday she drunk a little cat milk and water and licked at a roast chicken breast.She managed to walk to the litter tray to wee(once) but didn't poo all day.She stayed in a hunched position and her body kept spasming
Today she has just lain on her side all day eyes open and had 2 tiny drinks of water.No wees no poos and this evening she can't even walk as one of her back legs doesn't seem able to support her weight.If she makes it through the night we'll take her to the vet tomorrow (not open weekends and there is £150 call out for home visit which I literally haven't got, having just had a huge car repair bill.)
At first we thought she had been poisoned because she loves drinking out of the shower tray and DH used a new cleaner and didn't rinse.But I'm wondering now wheter her back leg is fractured.
Anyone get any ideas

ratbagcatbag Wed 19-Dec-12 20:04:30

When I've had to take my cat to emergency vets ooh, they've never even questioned payment, they just treat her and I ring up the next available time and pay, I have also heard them with customers arranging payment plans, they are really good for it.
Poor cat sad please consider insurance so you can take then to the vets in future if they need it.

Lottikins Mon 17-Dec-12 14:21:35

?

JustFabulous Mon 17-Dec-12 13:34:16

Why should it be locked?

MrsGrumps Mon 17-Dec-12 13:29:46

Surprised this thread has not been locked by now.

BeataNoxPotter Mon 17-Dec-12 10:58:22

Ah, I see what you're getting at, Lottikins. It's better financially for a practice to come to an arrangement for payment rather than whizz it straight to a debt collection agency, overall.
I would love a big awareness campaign that stresses the essential nature of insurance for pet ownership. And prosecutions for owners who leave their animals in pain or distress.

Having a pet isn't a right, it's a privilege and far too many people treat their animals as interchangeable and expendable.

Lottikins Mon 17-Dec-12 10:33:30

Sorry I think I have misled you a bit about the practice where I am employed
.Vets obviously do have to pursue debtors (as do all other businesses ) and of course would try to make arrangements when people reallly can't pay.
I am speaking purely from my own experience but people over a certain age were taught at their mother's knee never ever to get into debt and are often too proud or too worried to admit they can't pay and (again in my opinion) this is why we often see pets from this type of owner too late.sad

BeataNoxPotter Sat 15-Dec-12 19:25:23

Lottikins, you need to find a practice that doesn't have that attitude. It's quite unusual - is it a big chain?

The vast majority of vets would rather agree a payment plan with a client than leave your putative 'little old lady' without heating hmm

QuietTiger Sat 15-Dec-12 19:18:20

No Iamapushymum you didn't cause the pain and suffering and damage to your cats kidneys, but you did prolong it suffering and FAILED to get prompt veterinary attention to end the agony it was in. And it would have been agony. Bollocks to your "insulated from the harsh reality of death", you let a sentient being suffer, because actually, you didn't give a shit.

Quite frankly, given your behaviour with your cat who died, you don't deserve to have pets.

cozietoesie Fri 14-Dec-12 21:38:02

<excises that stray 'used'>

cozietoesie Fri 14-Dec-12 21:33:57

I've seen a number of sites that use the term 'guardian' used rather than 'owner'. I thought initially that it might be a bit precious - but with consideration, I think there's much to be said for it.

ThePlatypusAlwaysTriumphs Fri 14-Dec-12 20:14:59

Lottikins- yes, we vets study hard, take an oath to puts animal's welfare first, then set out to rip people off to the best of abilities sad

In the case of elderly people without means to pay, but who are willing to pay it up, we will all be pretty lenient, especially of it's a pet they have had for years. But for people who see animals as disposable... that's kind of hard to stomach.

We have to pursue debts, because it costs a lot of money to keep a practice open- lighting, heating, staff, rent, equipment, and frankly there are lots of people who think it is their right to own an animal and have the enjoyment of owning that animal but then to have us fund the cost of treatment for that animal, for their pleasure.

I see so many that "can't afford" treatmnet for their "beloved" pet. But they have their nails all done, and they are wearing far better clothes than I can afford...

Lottikins Fri 14-Dec-12 19:49:41

(name changer)
I have seen this sort of thing many times particularly with elderly owners who have very modest means and would often be in the situation where paying a vets bill would mean no heating or food.I have to say the practice I work at (part time accounts -not clinical) s pretty ruthless when it comes to pursuing debts.
Things are not always so black and white.nearly nobody enjoys or is indifferent to a beloved pet's suffering.

SDTGisAChristmassyWolefGenius Fri 14-Dec-12 19:47:29

Neutered but not vaccinated, apparently, ThePlatypus. hmm

ThePlatypusAlwaysTriumphs Fri 14-Dec-12 19:43:02

Oh- and can I just ask, OP- are you planning to get this new kitten vaccinated and neutered (as any responsible owner would)? Because you might pay nearly the same for that.....

ellenjames Fri 14-Dec-12 19:41:29

you should be ashamed and should never own an animal again.

ThePlatypusAlwaysTriumphs Fri 14-Dec-12 19:37:16

Horrified, but sadly not surprised, by this thread sad

I am a vet. I see things like this all the time. It makes me feel ill.

An animal is not a right- it is a luxury item. you don't get an animal unless you can afford to care for it. Vets fees are NOT over-the-top, they are part of owning an animal, same as tax and insurance are part of owning a car. Peple are often well-meaning when they take on animals, but just think: I you didn't take them they might just end up in a home where someone could afford to make sure they didn't suffer needlessly.

you didn't damage it's kidneys, sure, but you left it in obvious pain for 2 days it didn't need to be. And of course you've got another kitten, because, hey, animals are disposable, right?? And you want another kitten, so to hell with what you can actually offer it.

It sucks. It does.

JustFabulous Fri 14-Dec-12 19:36:08

My God. I have never read such a disgusting set of posts from someone on this topic in all my life. You are so blase about your animal. "The" cat died. "It's" kidneys. No my, no ^he or she.

My cat is 18 and has cost me thousands over the years. I could have had her pts once she started peeing in the lounge but you know what, a few puddles to clean up once in a while are nothing compared to the joy she has given me and I continue to pay the vet's bills even once the insurers cancelled our policy.

OP, you might not have caused the kidney failure but you certainly didn't help the poor cat

angry.

SDTGisAChristmassyWolefGenius Fri 14-Dec-12 19:35:16

You didn't cause the suffering, but you did prolong it.

Please, please, please tell us that you will get insurance for the kitten.

iamapushymum Fri 14-Dec-12 19:23:17

I didn't cause it to have pain and suffering.I didn't damage it's kidneys!!!

FiercePanda Fri 14-Dec-12 19:12:10

By not seeking treatment as soon as you were aware you cat was ill, you caused it needless pain and suffering. You're not fit to have animals of any kind.

iamapushymum Fri 14-Dec-12 18:56:40

'Even cats who are being treated for kidney failure will make you sob. They are in pain. They feel like they are dying, and they will cry, and fit, and attack themselves'

No it was just very sleepy and lethargic towards the end.I am not denying the cat suffered on the Saturday morning but the fact of the matter is most people over the globe suffer when they die and certainly most wild animals. In our very sheltered lives we tend to be insulated from the harsh reality of death.

CajaDeLaMemoria Fri 14-Dec-12 18:38:16

Larry -

If the OP had taken her cat for treatment on Friday night, the vet would have discussed her options. Kidney failure is one of the first things checked for, especially with the symptoms described. The OP would have been given the options, including prices, and an explanation that by Monday the cat would not be saveable. If it was the OPs decision that they'd rather put the cat to sleep, the vet would have done so. Any treatments would be fully discussed, with prices, so the OP could decide what she could pay for.

Repayments are typically very low. Usually between £8 - 15 a month. Most vets can't offer credit agreements legally and therefore can't affect your credit rating anyway, which is why they aren't keen to accept a repayment plan. But they would have done, because the alternative was to treat the cat for free. The vet could not have left the OPs cat because it was cruelty.

The OP didn't say she'd taken her cat and needed money for treatment. People do donate frequently and generously in those circumstances.

There are also places you can seek help, although they tend to not be well advertised because of the huge amount of people who contact them. I'm not talking about the PDSA, but charities and organisations and vet chains who will treat pets for free or a very low fee. The vet would have looked into this once the OPs inability to pay became obvious.

The veterinary world is far from perfect, I know that. But kidney failure is painful, and absolute agony to watch. Even cats who are being treated for kidney failure will make you sob. They are in pain. They feel like they are dying, and they will cry, and fit, and attack themselves.

If someone bought their cat in that state to any vets, I'd bet my life that the vet would treat it regardless of the financial situation. That can be sorted later.

And cats can be insured from £3, and are generally low-cost unless they are an at-risk breed, so that's extra peace of mind for the owner.

maxmillie Fri 14-Dec-12 18:30:50

Whatever rights or wrongs of original situation, I am astounded that you are getting another kitten next week. Truly. Astounded. You couldn't afford £150 for the last one so why on earth are you getting another one? Most insurance excesses are around £100.

SDTGisAChristmassyWolefGenius Fri 14-Dec-12 17:52:30

iamapushymum - I am afraid that your cat did suffer, and you did do the wrong thing by not taking them to the vet. You could, and should have rung the vet, explained the symptoms, and told them your financial situation, and I am sure they would have done something to help your cat. You could have rung the RSPCA. You just watched this cat suffer. sad

*Please, please, please do NOT get the kitten unless you are prepared to pay for pet insurance.

Breathtaking, just breathtaking. If you can't afford possible vet fees then don't have a pet. My dogs and cats are not insured but they sure as hell don't suffer. I love them all to bits and would do the best for them - we had 2 brother cats, the first died from liver failure after an attempt to treat, but we had him pts as it didn't work and he was suffering. A year later his brother came down with exactly the same symptoms, he went to the vet who said it was 99.99% likely to be the same so we didn't try treatment and had him pts. We were devastated, but at least felt we had done the right thing for them. I am not hugely sentimental and am realistic about how far to go, but to do what you have done, leave an animal in obvious pain for at least 24 hours is appalling.

The very least you could have done is repay that animal's trust in you by having it put out of its' suffering as quickly as possible. Please don't get another kitten unless you are prepared to insure it, or put the money aside. Actually, given your apparent indifference to animals it's probably best not to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now