October Top Trumps

(5 Posts)
Nigglenaggle Sun 21-Oct-12 20:03:04

Clearly everyone else is having as unexciting a month spot-wise as I am as it is now the 21st and no thread has appeared! But felt sad that there wasnt one so started it anyway ^^

No exciting animal spots at all but I have started mushroom foraging for the first time this autumn and having been absolutely sure there were none at all in the area, was delighted to find a Blusher and some Shaggy Ink Cap 5 minutes from home. Still too scared to eat anything so far though lol

chixinthestix Sun 21-Oct-12 22:40:36

Hello Nigglenaggle. An unexciting month so far here too but today was glorious and our trip to the beach yielded a couple of chough and two stonechats 'chatting' to each other from the top of some fence posts.
Saw a beautiful parasol mushroom too, but as there was only one it seemed unfair to pick it. I'd be too scared to eat anything else too!

PeriPathetic Sun 21-Oct-12 22:51:10

Crested Tits in my garden <happy face>
Geese are migrating overhead in great and noisy V formations.
Red squirrels with fabulously bushy tails making holes all over DH's newly planted lawn (haha!)
Too many jays being loud and irritating.
Autumn is lovely grin

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Fri 26-Oct-12 00:04:02

Well. I had to come find you guys, because I'm convinced that I saw an otter the other day! In ESSEX!
I was driving to work in the early morning, drove down a quiet little lane, and this critter ran across the road and disappeared into the hedge. I saw a perfect sihlouette.
It definitely wasnt a rat (tail to thick), cat (legs too short), mink, polecat or stoat (body not long or skinny enough, and too big) . It had quite a deep body, and its tail was very thick, elongated triangle. Otter is the only template that fits the shape!
Anyway. A couple of days late, I was talking to a friend who lives a few miles away, not far from the river, and she reported seeing an otter eating her Koi from the garden pond! I never knew that they were in this area. My friend with the pond reckons that a local farmer told her there were several in the local brook! <<pleasantly surprised>>

Nigglenaggle Fri 26-Oct-12 13:38:19

Woohoo! Surely a winner smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now