Bike trailers?

(3 Posts)
Artura Mon 15-Apr-13 08:28:01

I'm also looking for a bike trailer. We were thinking of a Croozer for 2 but need to check if I can fit it in the back of my car (have towbar for bikes). Peapod looks a bit cheaper though. Any other trailers you've considered?

I don't know about the Peapod but we used a Burley trailer to take kids everywhere, not just locally but bike touring around the world on road and trail and all sorts. These kinds of convertible trailers are a brilliant way to get out and about. As regards safety I don't know of any stats but personally think the most important thing is route choice and your skills as a cyclist in traffic. I think kids are more protected in a trailer (especially one with a roll bar) than they are on a bike seat in the event of an accident. I always tried to avoid riding in traffic where possible and did some Bikeability training that a real confidence booster to handling the traffic when there was no other option.

pookamoo Mon 24-Sep-12 22:48:54

DH would like to get a Peapod to use as a trailer on off road tracks (family trails, we're not talking singletrack mtb here! grin ). We have two DDs, aged 1 and 3.10 (but she is tiny - about the size of a 2 year old, really)

The appeal is it can also be used as a buggy / pushchair for one or two children and have space for a bag behind.

Has anyone used one? What do you think? I know there are a lot of Giant fans on here. DH's bike is a Giant, and he would be towing, probably DD2 while DD1 is on her balance bike.

What are the safety stats like for children in bike trailers? Anyone know? I shudder to think of one in an RTA.... sad, yet you always see people out in town with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now