July Wildlife Top Trumps Drag Your Wellies from the Swamp

(55 Posts)

I declare one common newt. Who's going to bring out the basking sharks?

violetwellies Sun 29-Jul-12 09:28:35

Loads of ringlets at the bottom of our lane, lots of little birds taking advantage & in the hair dressers a dragon fly. I dont go for a haircu t very often( first visit this year)

I saw seals (Atlantic greys) and a lovely blue jelly fish, and I looked hopefully for basking sharks but no luck. Loads of lovely wildflowers on the Cornish road sides but hardly any butterflies. Can we have a butterfly spot? I can start with one Ringlet and one Large White.

MegBusset Wed 25-Jul-12 21:03:11

I saw a sparrowhawk the other day, flying over a field. Never seen one before!

reluctanttownie Wed 25-Jul-12 13:18:21

Quite new and only just discovered this bit!

Not very expert but went recently went to Iceland where we saw Harlequin Ducks. First time we were next to some real twitchers who were beside themselves with excitement although they were miles away and tiny even through binoculars. Second time they were really really extremely close, so we were lucky.

violetwellies Mon 23-Jul-12 21:43:10

Sun glorious sun :-) grin ladies bedstraw in profusion and butterflies, ringlet I think, they were fluttering about.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 23-Jul-12 13:15:37

Dragonfly nymphs are amazing - the top predator of the pond I guess. We first found one when dipping in an Exmoor stream, it was on a totally different scale to everything else we'd found, a water dragon indeed!

chixinthestix Fri 20-Jul-12 23:04:00

I love shelducks and the haunting sound that waders always seem to make. Been a bit short of decent bird spots here lately.

Sounds like your bats are making themselves at home Grimma. Still they are probably the least obnoxious mammal to have living in your house!

Saw another fab dragonfly today - a male broad bodied chaser, bright blue and v big. It sat nicely on a twig while I took a photo before zooming off. Then took DCs pond dipping in the nearby pond and found several huge dinosaour like dragonfly nymphs and a tiny newt. Fantastic watching the dragonflies ruthlessly hunting and eating the midge larvae in the bucket. Nature in the raw. Had to quickly rescue the newt and pop it back in the pond.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 19-Jul-12 14:22:15

Yesterday, a lot of shelducks and shelducklings. Also oystercatchers, redshanks, cormorants, swans - the usual estuary gang.

GrimmaTheNome Tue 17-Jul-12 07:53:39

Selks - ah, we appreciate it though.

Yesterday we saw....compound eyes and antennae.

DH went aloft to deal with - as he thought - another invasion of mice. But finding a heap of little poops in one place (right under the apex of the roof) rather than scattered around, at my suggestion he brought them down to examine under the microscope. Definitely the output of insectivores so it looks like the soffit bats are coming a bit further in.

Selks Mon 16-Jul-12 22:59:55

Saw a six spot burnet moth on the window at work, 'twas very pretty. Said I, to colleagues " oh look a six spot burnet moth!". I got a row of faces looking like hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm
at me...... sigh

chixinthestix Mon 16-Jul-12 22:38:29

It was sunny here on Sunday! Ok well, mostly cloudy but a bit sunny and not wet . Back to normal this morning. Splish splosh.

Lizards! Basking!

That all smacks of sunshine and warm stones.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 16-Jul-12 11:26:01

I've seen quite a lot of squashed hedgehogs round here recently - I was wondering if there was some season when they're more likely to be on the roads, either searching for a mate or youngsters dispersing. ( I've only once seen one in our garden, but that could be because when the last dachshund was a pup DH blocked up all low-level holes to prevent escape).

Don't think its a badgery area.

chixinthestix Sun 15-Jul-12 22:22:56

I didn't realise that, we have loads of badgers and no hedgehogs at all, perhaps that's no coincidence.

Saw the most beautiful little lizard in my garden today. I have a v nice potting bench with a shelf above it with small potted plants on it. As I stood potting up a container on the bench the lizard appeared from between the flower pots on the shelf and sat basking about 18 inches in front of my nose. It stayed for about 10 minutes, while I quietly carried on with what I was doing.

I have read about the threat to hedgehogs from badgers, but we have no badgers that I know of.

MooncupGoddess Sun 15-Jul-12 12:33:50

I just saw a spider entrap a large bumblebee in my conservatory, just a few feet away. It was a swift and terrifyingly efficient procedure, although the spider now looks slightly intimidated by the enormous lunch it has in store.

violetwellies Sun 15-Jul-12 09:17:17

Says

violetwellies Sun 15-Jul-12 09:16:50

My esteemed dp days They are eaten by badgers, along with ground nesting birds. We have no hedgehogs, no gardens within half a mile (so no slug pellets)

Very excited - saw a hedgehog in my Dad's garden this evening - but how sad is it that I am excited about seeing a hedgehog. Used to be commonplace - you don't even see the fecker squashed on the road anymore sad

NaturalNatures Sat 14-Jul-12 19:27:43

blush hang on, sorry, there's rl debate over wether they were eagles/buzzards/owls pub debate sorry, insects and wolves are amazing though.

violetwellies Fri 13-Jul-12 21:24:42

Exceedingly envious of the golden eagle, not so sure I want to spot wolves, enough problems with old Reynard.

Haha yeah that's very true!

GrimmaTheNome Fri 13-Jul-12 16:45:20

Chix - yeah, but if those magnificent beasts present themselves, there's not much skill in spotting them - I still think your collection of insects is the best yet! grin

chixinthestix Fri 13-Jul-12 13:18:23

Eagles, wolves !! The July thread is suddenly starting to take off! What amazing things to see.

We saw two wolves by the side of the road a couple of weeks ago. They were really big! Not seen them in the wild before.

Disclaimer - I live in Canada so we have some pretty interesting wildlife

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now