June Top Trumps. Pack you bird books and binoculars...

(108 Posts)
SaggyCeratops Thu 31-May-12 23:56:09

I'll start. Today, I saw a green woodpecker, and got really close to a little owl. I came into close proximity to about a million mosquitoes, and have just removed a wood louse from the bathtub! confused

GrimmaTheNome Mon 25-Jun-12 22:40:34

Blimey Viva, I think that lot is going to scoop this months prize. Five different types of bats and you knew what they were? not to mention all those birds... we haven't had woodcocks or turtle doves before, nor (I think) nightjars.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 25-Jun-12 23:04:11

Turtle doves are very rare. I've never seen one before.

You can ID bats by their flight patterns as well as size of bat. We also had a bat detector with us which helps as you can hear them chattering on it. Different species have their noise at a different frequency so what frequency you're picking the noise up at is a big give away. Plus the actual sounds they make are different.

violetwellies Wed 27-Jun-12 22:24:15

We had a bat survey as a precaution before restoring some barns and our result came last week - one bat, grin I know I didn't really want a breeding colony to work round, but one bat is a bit pathetic

violetwellies Sat 30-Jun-12 20:49:31

Where has everyone gone? Have you all been washed away? Its not July yet so you can't be there. I'm feeling very lonely.

chixinthestix Sat 30-Jun-12 22:50:10

Hi Violet I'm still here. Nothing remotely interesting wildlife wise to update on though unless you count pelting rain and mud. Hoping for a better July......

Hi Violet still here (in the swamp). Nothing remotely interesting except one cinnabar moth which I put on some ragwort and sheltered with umbrella through the storms. It has laid eggs so I am hoping for black and yellow caterpillars.

Or is it July?

GrimmaTheNome Sun 01-Jul-12 20:26:05

It's July! Go on barbarian, start a new thread. smile

GrimmaTheNome Sun 01-Jul-12 21:38:26

Thanks - new thread is Here smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now