outdoors shite - I saw the first flight of cranes of the year!

(88 Posts)
FryingNemo Mon 27-Feb-12 18:55:13

Amazing. I heard them first and then saw them - I reckon there was about 100 of them so not a big flight but a wonderful sight nonetheless. Spring is on its way.

smile

WhatWouldFreddieDo Mon 27-Feb-12 18:57:30

Oo, where are you?

5 skylarks on dog walk yesterday (eastern Scotland), so yes, spring def. nearly here <hopeful>

Slubberdegullion Mon 27-Feb-12 19:00:43

Cor.

That sounds amazeballs. I also want to know where you are.

Today I saw two goldfinches
[spectacularly underwhelmed]

FryingNemo Mon 27-Feb-12 19:03:24

I'm in Luxembourg so we're right in the flight path. I love hearing them go over on a cloudy day - it is so eerie.

Spring is coming!

FryingNemo Mon 27-Feb-12 19:04:43

And I have herons at the bottom of the garden.

<smug>

AIBUqatada Mon 27-Feb-12 19:06:23

I heard a woodpecker drilling yesterday <throws in twopenn'orth>

RustyBear Mon 27-Feb-12 19:08:18

Did you see Earthflight - amazing programme - I think one of the episodes followed the migration of cranes.

<<Just a quick question - what has this got to do with 'World Cup 2010'?>>

Slubberdegullion Mon 27-Feb-12 20:04:43

Nowt Rusty.

Those who would like an Outdoorsy Shite topic are squatting in this here redundant topic until the powers that be give us a shiny new one.

EssieW Mon 27-Feb-12 20:06:20

Heard and saw skylarks in Norfolk at the weekend. Plus some little yellow headed birds (don't know names yet).

GrimmaTheNome Mon 27-Feb-12 20:09:54

envy Nemo. The UK was crane-less for nearly 400 years, they are just starting to be reintroduced. I hope to see the flight of the cranes here one day.

AIBUqatada Mon 27-Feb-12 20:11:09

I'm afraid that the working title "Outdoorsy Shite" is going to result in MNHQ choosing "The Great Outdoors" as the actual name of the new topic that you will surely eventually win.
That is so teeth-wiltingly naff that I think you ought urgently to canvass better names.

why the fuck is this in world cup 2010 topic?
and more importantly... why does this topic even exist????

bump

to encourage 'outdoorsy shite' as a topic

we have a disly greatr spotted woodpecker outside the office window.
fancy red pants and everything

it makes me stupidly happy

Grockle Mon 27-Feb-12 20:15:15

Love the randomness of this being in the World Cup 2010 topic grin

< joins the squat>

Slubberdegullion Mon 27-Feb-12 20:23:09

It was RowanMN who first suggested Outdoorsy Shite as a topic name so I'm going with the flow from thems upstairs.

What noise to cranes make Nemo?

Grockle Mon 27-Feb-12 20:28:18

I witnessed that <glares at RowanMumsnet>

AIBUqatada Mon 27-Feb-12 20:29:32

Ah then perhaps they will just call it Outdoorsy Shite, which would work very well I think.

NubblesStryverFlintwinch Mon 27-Feb-12 20:30:49

Loving, living loving the use of redundant topics.

That is all
As you were

Slubberdegullion Mon 27-Feb-12 20:32:56

There'll be teeth sucking a plenty at the meeting I'll bet.

RowanMN will be on taking coffees out to the The People Of The Shed duty until August.

Slubberdegullion Mon 27-Feb-12 20:35:18

But that's all yet to come. Poor old RowanMN. She's a good egg.

What noise do cranes make? And I want a description in Words not some easy peasy link.

FryingNemo Mon 27-Feb-12 20:41:33

Now that's a tough one. Ok, i'll give it a go. Have you ever heard hounds on the bay? Well, it's sort of like that but from far off and slightly higher pitched. It also doesn't rise and fall in volume like hounds do but remains remarkably constant. It is eerie and lovely.

lostinwales Mon 27-Feb-12 20:43:11

I heard a woodpecker last week when I was walking the dog, it made me ridiculously happy. Also a few weeks ago when it was still dark at 5pm I heard a hundreds of Canada Geese fly over without seeing them (also whilst out with the dog, handy creatures dogs) it was sooooo cooool. No idea about the Cranes though, I just wanted to join in with the general birdy appreciation in outdoorsy shite.

FryingNemo Mon 27-Feb-12 20:43:26

<digs out dungarees and doc martens from student days so this can be recognised as a proper sit in >

lostinwales Mon 27-Feb-12 20:46:05

<pitches tent and gets out stove> Hot choc anyone?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now