Had to have my dog PTS today - am beyond heartbroken - please hug me

(62 Posts)
lovemydogs Mon 25-Feb-13 14:49:56

my gorgeous girl, Foxy, a fawn greyhound, who literally changed my life 6 years ago, had a fall yesterday and after a terrible night spent lying on the floor next to her, I had to ring the vet at 4am who said that there was no hope as she had been trying unsuccessfully to get up for 12 hours. To be fair she was 13 - so a grand age - but I am not being dramatic when I say I do not know how I will live without her. I did speak to the vet yesterday when it happened and she said to see how Foxy went overnight.
She was my best friend and she adored me too. She was my first dog that I had in my own right as an adult.
I have a greyhound boy who is bereft. It was just me and the dogs. No OH or kids.
I cannot stop crying. Or rather wailing.
I have lost my mum and my dad - my dad a year ago. My dogs are my life. This feels like a bereavement of similar magnitude to me.
thanks for reading xxxx

lovemydogs Wed 27-Feb-13 16:58:54

ha ha elliepupp - would be getting another rescue greyhound so no puppies here and hopefully no widdles ( well maybe my pelvic floor but not the dogs ha ha)
thanks and glad your story has a happy ending xxxx

elliepupp Wed 27-Feb-13 16:53:57

Ellie was PTS last October after 10 years as my best friend. Didn't stop crying for weeks. I felt so stupid as anything would set me off and I kept thinking 'she was just a dog for goodness sake!'. I felt nothing could ever replace her so wouldn't even consider getting another. BUT, the house was so empty comming home at night and I missed her waggy tail and good morning smiley yawn. We went to LOOK at a litter in December and came home with TWO. I cried again for a week - demanding they be taken back.
Wouldn't be without them now, although I've not forgotten their 'big sister' these animals are not just dogs (for some of us anyway!). Lots of puppy hugs (you won't want the widdles though smile) x

Inthepotty Wed 27-Feb-13 08:48:49

I'm so sorry OP.

Please remember you gave your beloved girl the kindest final act we can do as dog owners- to ensure they are not in pain.

Madondogs Tue 26-Feb-13 23:05:26

So very sorry for your loss. Big hugs for yiu and your lovely boy. Xx

noddyholder Tue 26-Feb-13 20:55:23

smile

lovemydogs Tue 26-Feb-13 18:58:36

thank you all so much again it really helps. Took my boy - Robbie - out today for a ride in the car and to a new park where he met some other dogs and he was really excited and it cheered him up so that is positive. x

ReeBee Tue 26-Feb-13 18:35:42

So very sorry for your loss.

bassetfeet Tue 26-Feb-13 18:24:09

wildfig your post said it all for me about the love we have for our animals .
Thank you for that . It made me cry and my old gal died three years ago.
You defined the emotion we have for our furry companions so eloquently.

Sending a hug for lovemydogs tonight and agree with others that when you are ready ........seek another canine friend for you and the boy dog .

Avago Tue 26-Feb-13 16:01:10

So sorry for your loss sad

wildfig Tue 26-Feb-13 15:55:47

More sympathy from me. It's hard to explain to friends or partners who haven't had dogs what a part of your life they become - you get so used to interpreting the subtle language of their ears and tails and funny grunts that they become part of your own inner voice, even though they can't speak. You can only hear them with your heart, and you can never really tell them how much you care, and vice versa - so it's a relationship built entirely of trust and observation and little displays of affection. I wish some of my friends paid as much attention to my moods as my dogs do.

I hope you find another greyhound friend, for yourself and for your other boy. It sounds as if you gave Foxy everything a dog could wish for.

doglover Tue 26-Feb-13 14:06:11

I am so, so sorry. I really feel for you and truly understand how you're feeling.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Tue 26-Feb-13 14:02:48

Oh lovemydogs I feel for you. I had my Boy before I had human children and he is my adopted first child! Just because they're animal shaped doesn't mean they're not family members. Like others have said just be happy that you had her and she was loved and that she had a happy life with you. Nothing can ever take that away.

I also lost both my parents. Things like this do stir emotions up again and make it all seem worse. Go easy on yourself. You've lost a family member and you need time to grieve. Bollocks to the bf if he so much as suggests that he doesn't understand that.

lovemydogs Tue 26-Feb-13 13:58:54

yes the greyhound trust let you take a dog to try it for a week or weekend before deciding whether to adopt and you can try a different one if the first one doesn't seem right - they are so flexible so by the time you adopt you are really certain xx

TrinityRhino Tue 26-Feb-13 13:58:42

<hugs> lovemydogs

it is a bereavement, take care of yourself

my dp is going to have to do this fairly soon to his right hand dog
he will be beside himself with grief and he only lost his mum last month

please be kind to yourself its an awful thing to go through

(((Hugs))) to you, so sorry for your lossthanks xx

mistlethrush Tue 26-Feb-13 13:49:22

lovemydogs, just remember that you will never replace her - but getting another dog for you and your boy may help to fill some of the gap she has left (and it certainly could be a distraction from the void you currently feel). The new dog won't be a replacement, it will be a totally different dog and hopefully, in time will also be really important to you. You're not being remotely unfaithful to her memory or anything like that if you do get a dog soon. Just make sure its not a rushed decision and is the right dog to fit in with your and your boy.

(I'm not saying anyone that has struggled with getting another dog quickly is doing anything wrong either, just that this is one option)

lovemydogs Tue 26-Feb-13 13:17:28

My boy dog is very subdued and withdrawn - I got him second so he always had a pal - I will almost certainly get a second female greyhound asap for both of us - BF won't be happy although we do not live together - but he isn't into pets and sees them as a tie and I suspect he resents that I have to factor them in to my day and evening and weekend plans but they are part of my life - they are my therapy - I sometimes wonder if being with someone who feels like this is pointless.................
Thank you so much for all your kind comments xx

So sorry for your loss. <big hug>

poweredbytoast Tue 26-Feb-13 12:52:22

I had to have my beautiful GSD pts last spring; I wasn't ready for her to go and it took me a long time to get through the bereavement. But time does help. I can still put myself back to snuggling my face into her neck, and I will still cry at losing her, but the raw emotions have passed. Let yourself howl as much as you need to and in time the happy memories will outway the sad.

fortheloveofahorse Tue 26-Feb-13 07:13:43

Hello "lovemydogs" i am so very sorry you have lost your beautiful girl Foxy -i have Greyhound girl and to imagine a life without her would truly break my heart,i am sending you a virtual hug xx So sorry for your boy who will be grieveing for the loss of his special friend too xx

1MitchellMum Tue 26-Feb-13 06:55:04

So very sorry. Yes she was a grand old age but it's hard to say goodbye at any age (I've done it with a nearly 13 year old and a 6 year old). Ignatia may help your boy (given it to my remaining dogs after they lost their companion) - they did get better, who knows whether it was time or the ignatia? You will feel better in time but it does take ages and you'll never forget her. I found it helps to write out a list of all the little quirks and events that will make you smile when you read it in years to come. x

lovemydogs Tue 26-Feb-13 05:11:43

thank you everyone - slept downstairs cuddled up with my boy and that was nice xxxx

tabulahrasa Mon 25-Feb-13 23:44:57

I was so devastated when my last dog died that it took me two years to consider getting another dog... You've lost a member of your family, just because it was furry - that doesn't make it any less painful.

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Mon 25-Feb-13 22:27:25

I am so very sorry for your loss sad Big hugs.

CatelynStark Mon 25-Feb-13 22:25:11

Oh I'm so sorry. It's just heartbreaking. Please take care of yourself and your lovely boy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now