Had to have my dog PTS today - am beyond heartbroken - please hug me

(62 Posts)
lovemydogs Mon 25-Feb-13 14:49:56

my gorgeous girl, Foxy, a fawn greyhound, who literally changed my life 6 years ago, had a fall yesterday and after a terrible night spent lying on the floor next to her, I had to ring the vet at 4am who said that there was no hope as she had been trying unsuccessfully to get up for 12 hours. To be fair she was 13 - so a grand age - but I am not being dramatic when I say I do not know how I will live without her. I did speak to the vet yesterday when it happened and she said to see how Foxy went overnight.
She was my best friend and she adored me too. She was my first dog that I had in my own right as an adult.
I have a greyhound boy who is bereft. It was just me and the dogs. No OH or kids.
I cannot stop crying. Or rather wailing.
I have lost my mum and my dad - my dad a year ago. My dogs are my life. This feels like a bereavement of similar magnitude to me.
thanks for reading xxxx

gymmummy64 Mon 25-Feb-13 17:38:54

So very sorry for your loss. I remember thinking the same when my childhood dog was PTS when I was in my 20s. It does get better I promise and the way you feel now just shows what a wonderful life you gave her as her owner for her last 6 years.

Thinking of you, big hugs

Greydog Mon 25-Feb-13 17:41:34

oh, I am so, so sorry for you. A friend is a friend, and I have wept more over my animal pals than anyone else. Hold on to the thought that you gave her a really good life. Big hugs to you

So sorry for your loss. I know how heartbreaking it is to lose a beloved pet xx

So sorry for your loss. sad

cocolepew Mon 25-Feb-13 17:56:50

I'm so sorry for your loss sad

Grunzlewheek Mon 25-Feb-13 19:49:31

So sorry, hugs.

bassetfeet Mon 25-Feb-13 21:55:25

So sorry to read this lovemydogs Foxy had a lovely life with you bless her
Hug her dog greyhound companion to your heart tonight and cuddle in .

You have had a lot of grief to deal with recently so no wonder you feel so devastated .

Channel your heartache into finding some lovely plant or spring flower to celebrate her/his life . If you have no garden then plant something on a well trodded walk . my snowdrops are still blooming in the most unlikely place xx
take care and you did the right thing .

herladyship Mon 25-Feb-13 21:58:14

so sad to read this & hear of your loss hmm xx

You poor poor thing. Foxy sounds like she was an enormous part of your life , no wonder you are bereft. We lost our old collie cross in August last year and our lurcher didn't cope very well at all and we had to get a new puppy much sooner than we'd have liked.
He's not filled the Old Boy shaped hole in our life, that will always be there, but he has filled the generic dog shaped hole that we had.
I hope your grief is not too painful for longer than you can bear.

MrsDucklips Mon 25-Feb-13 22:16:18

This IS a bereavement - not like a bereavement. I am so sorry for your loss - cry as much as you need. Sending you big hugs.

I am so so sorry, big hugs and love to you and greyhound boy, it's a devastating time for you xxx

serin Mon 25-Feb-13 22:21:11

Your post made me cry, your love for her comes across so powerfully.

She was lucky to have you and you were lucky to have her for those six beautiful years.

So sorry x

CatelynStark Mon 25-Feb-13 22:25:11

Oh I'm so sorry. It's just heartbreaking. Please take care of yourself and your lovely boy.

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Mon 25-Feb-13 22:27:25

I am so very sorry for your loss sad Big hugs.

tabulahrasa Mon 25-Feb-13 23:44:57

I was so devastated when my last dog died that it took me two years to consider getting another dog... You've lost a member of your family, just because it was furry - that doesn't make it any less painful.

lovemydogs Tue 26-Feb-13 05:11:43

thank you everyone - slept downstairs cuddled up with my boy and that was nice xxxx

1MitchellMum Tue 26-Feb-13 06:55:04

So very sorry. Yes she was a grand old age but it's hard to say goodbye at any age (I've done it with a nearly 13 year old and a 6 year old). Ignatia may help your boy (given it to my remaining dogs after they lost their companion) - they did get better, who knows whether it was time or the ignatia? You will feel better in time but it does take ages and you'll never forget her. I found it helps to write out a list of all the little quirks and events that will make you smile when you read it in years to come. x

fortheloveofahorse Tue 26-Feb-13 07:13:43

Hello "lovemydogs" i am so very sorry you have lost your beautiful girl Foxy -i have Greyhound girl and to imagine a life without her would truly break my heart,i am sending you a virtual hug xx So sorry for your boy who will be grieveing for the loss of his special friend too xx

poweredbytoast Tue 26-Feb-13 12:52:22

I had to have my beautiful GSD pts last spring; I wasn't ready for her to go and it took me a long time to get through the bereavement. But time does help. I can still put myself back to snuggling my face into her neck, and I will still cry at losing her, but the raw emotions have passed. Let yourself howl as much as you need to and in time the happy memories will outway the sad.

So sorry for your loss. <big hug>

lovemydogs Tue 26-Feb-13 13:17:28

My boy dog is very subdued and withdrawn - I got him second so he always had a pal - I will almost certainly get a second female greyhound asap for both of us - BF won't be happy although we do not live together - but he isn't into pets and sees them as a tie and I suspect he resents that I have to factor them in to my day and evening and weekend plans but they are part of my life - they are my therapy - I sometimes wonder if being with someone who feels like this is pointless.................
Thank you so much for all your kind comments xx

mistlethrush Tue 26-Feb-13 13:49:22

lovemydogs, just remember that you will never replace her - but getting another dog for you and your boy may help to fill some of the gap she has left (and it certainly could be a distraction from the void you currently feel). The new dog won't be a replacement, it will be a totally different dog and hopefully, in time will also be really important to you. You're not being remotely unfaithful to her memory or anything like that if you do get a dog soon. Just make sure its not a rushed decision and is the right dog to fit in with your and your boy.

(I'm not saying anyone that has struggled with getting another dog quickly is doing anything wrong either, just that this is one option)

(((Hugs))) to you, so sorry for your lossthanks xx

TrinityRhino Tue 26-Feb-13 13:58:42

<hugs> lovemydogs

it is a bereavement, take care of yourself

my dp is going to have to do this fairly soon to his right hand dog
he will be beside himself with grief and he only lost his mum last month

please be kind to yourself its an awful thing to go through

lovemydogs Tue 26-Feb-13 13:58:54

yes the greyhound trust let you take a dog to try it for a week or weekend before deciding whether to adopt and you can try a different one if the first one doesn't seem right - they are so flexible so by the time you adopt you are really certain xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now