help me decide, should i buy 3 month old puppy a coat? perhaps this quesetion should be in the weather section?

(15 Posts)
youfhearted Sun 10-Feb-13 21:50:02

they dont need walks do you say? shock
only started yesterday - in training really, so i agree not a real proper walk as such. just a lesson in walking

My border terrier has one but to be honest I use it sparingly and for my benefit rather than his.

I only use it on the wetest of days (like today is here) when it saves on a little of the mess we bring back in from the woods. I think he has worn it 4 or 5 times all winter.

Muddy!!!

I refuse to buy our 16 week old springer puppy one, regardless of how much he shivers!! He's a working breed though and has a penchant for muddle puddles. Only starts to shiver at the very end of our walks or if he's chucked himself in a lake!

I would vary my decision depending in size and breed, yes with a small JRT.

digerd Sun 10-Feb-13 14:05:55

OP at 3 months and being a small JR, I would not take him for walks in this weather, and he doesn't need walks at his age. Wait until he is older and is Spring, then he'll love it. I know lots of JRs as adults and they never wear a coat, even in this weather as so active.
Met a 2 year-old recently and owner said she loves playing rough with large dogs and once she and the labrador fell into the canal while playing on its banks - so beware!

youfhearted Sun 10-Feb-13 08:48:57

she is a jack russell and i read that thye dont grow their adultcoat til7 months. the weather forecast for this weeks seemsto be wet.

LittleChimneyDroppings Sun 10-Feb-13 02:51:44

Meh, they seem to be cosseted wimps these days! <old gimmer>

UterusUterusGhali Sun 10-Feb-13 02:32:24

So do I, Chimney. grin

Most dogs are cosseted wimps though, surely? Like mine

LittleChimneyDroppings Sun 10-Feb-13 02:06:49

What sort of dog? If it was a chinese crested, i would say yes. But most dogs grow a winter coat anywy.

UterusUterusGhali Sun 10-Feb-13 01:48:14

My 2yo Staffie really feels the cold.
Watching with interest, as I've never had such a soft dog and wonder if a coat will be silly.
She doesn't like her harness.

youfhearted Sat 09-Feb-13 21:58:15

is 3 months now,
i think i will wait a while

digerd Sat 09-Feb-13 18:14:20

Depends on the age of the pup and the breed, size. Up to 3 months my pups didn't go out of the garden, but they were small breed and tiny.

welliesplease Sat 09-Feb-13 12:10:08

Every dog I ever got a coat for chewed them off. Made me think they don't really like them.hmm

Floralnomad Sat 09-Feb-13 12:06:22

My Patterdale has a Equafleece coat and an Equafleece jumper . We use the jumper mainly . He wears it in the rain as it is water repellant and when its cold if he has just had his hair cut . It's also very good when its muddy as its only his legs that need dealing with and his body is clean/ dry . So I'd say yes if only for convenience . Wet dog 3X a day is no fun !

youfhearted Sat 09-Feb-13 12:00:55

it is cold today but i dont think the forecast is too bad.
and she is a puppy and will grow, and is due to go out for a walk from about now but probably wont walk for long. Well she should nt walk for long.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now