HELP dog has 'sticky spikes' things stuck in his coat

(12 Posts)

Luckily my girlie isn't too bothered about fox poo, although she has rolled in various forms of shit over the years on the odd occasion.

RustyBear Fri 08-Feb-13 15:14:01

chickens - yours are probably goose-grass burrs - much smaller.

HelgatheHairy Fri 08-Feb-13 13:42:29

Yes furminator!!!

Can't believe it's my first time coming across these. For me, I can live with mud it's the fox poo that he loves to roll in that I hate.

Furminator? Yes that helps!

I find if I hold the fur next to the body & pull away the teazel comes out without too much pulling.

Downside of living in the country for me ( oh and the mud <rolls eyes>)

HelgatheHairy Fri 08-Feb-13 13:11:06

Thanks all. bossy mine is a goodie too! I've got the worst out with the grooming comb, forget what it's called, the undercoat remover one?

flowery Fri 08-Feb-13 13:09:38

Our Cavalier used to pick them up daily in his legs, undercarriage and tail, despite keeping his feet and lower legs trimmed quite close. He got very good at standing/lying patiently for them to be teased out.

We have a Springer now, and it's a bit less of an issue as he's higher off the ground and slightly less hairy. He did get one in his ear yesterday though, then shook his head which promptly attached it to his shoulder as well grin

Thems the buggers flowery my goldie is always coming home with them, usually pulls them out herself but we have to frisk her most days & cut them out if really bad.

I keep her undercarriage trimmed quite short to help the problem but her lovely plumey tail I have to leave or she'd look like the Specsavers dog! grin

Don't worry OP they're a nuisance but aren't too bad once you've worked out the best way to remove them.

flowery Fri 08-Feb-13 12:59:20

I just googled for an image and this article came up. Might help OP?

The sie of a chestnut?! That's huge! Burrs around here are just a few mm's across. I just brush them out.

flowery Fri 08-Feb-13 12:52:00

We get these loads where we are. We find just gently teasing them out when dry is easiest, although it can take ages. Sooner the better though, to avoid them getting tangled in even more.

RustyBear Fri 08-Feb-13 12:47:44

They are called burrs - if you google 'remove burrs from a dog's coat' you will find advice - though I've already found one that says bathe the dog with conditioner and another that says don't get the dog wet before removing them, so you might want to read a few to find a reputable source.

HelgatheHairy Fri 08-Feb-13 12:38:25

Just got back with dog from walk and thought he seemed a bit more manic than usual. Went to wipe him and he has lots of sticky spikey things stuck in his coat, mostly around his bum/tail. They're about the size of a chestnut and have spikes 'leaves' they then to fall apart when I brush them. Have resorted to cutting a few of them out but he still has some and is obv uncomfortable. I can't bath him till OH gets home at 4.30.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now