how is the easiest way to get a young dog used to travelling in a car?

(4 Posts)
OwlLady Tue 29-Jan-13 09:27:59

her having a meal or me?

I live on a lane and at the end of the lane are woods. If I start with sitting and then driving to the end of the lane to the woods, do you think that would be a good start? It's a minute or two drive tops (but 10 mile an hour)

actually it might be a bit easier if I take both like that anyway. My other border collie has started flipping herding cars again at almost 11 years old - these BC dogs are always one step ahead of you you know

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 29-Jan-13 09:12:58

Start off with just sitting in the car and maybe having a meal in there. Then just round the block and gradually building up the length of journeys. Obviously spend lots of time on each step voice reward when she is good and quiet ignore barking.

lotsofdogshere Tue 29-Jan-13 08:33:38

short trips, followed by something good, like a walk or a run off lead, then home. Build up gradually and it'll be fine.

OwlLady Tue 29-Jan-13 08:24:20

crate trained, so it is just a matter of chucking that in the boot but little dog hates it, barks the whole time and then does this laughing noise when we drive past people, which is amusing but I have to go to wales in august and I would like her barking as little as possible and to curb the laughing grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now