Dog with the runs - help!

(8 Posts)
ClaimedByMe Sat 19-Jan-13 10:08:07

My mnstaff has the runs, we are still quite new dog owners, she went twice last night and has been twice this morning, do we feed her, starve her, feed her small amounts, when do you phone the vet, this dog only likes going to the vet at the weekend confused

She seems happy in herself has already chased a cat and tried to get my toast, dp has fed her a handful of barking heads, why can't they be like kids who moan and make it clear whats wrong?

As far as I am aware she hasnt been given any new foods, she is on a bit of a diet so isnt really getting any treats, it is a possibility she has eaten something the kids have dropped or shes picked something up outside.

Any advice welcome.

mrsjay Sat 19-Jan-13 11:24:42

My dog had the unexplained runs last week for a few days we still fed him as normal as he didn't seem ill dogs sometimes just get a bit of an upset stomach, our old dog had a really sensitive stomach we used to give her rice or pasta if she was bad

ClaimedByMe Sat 19-Jan-13 11:39:55

Thanks, will maybe try rice or pasta, dp has just had a feel of her tummy and she just laid back enjoying it, her tum is making funny noises not if thats because its empty or because shes brewing another poo!

Whatnameforme Sat 19-Jan-13 11:43:20

Feed them chicken and rice for 24 hours, not too much rice as its really fattening for them.
If its really bad or doesn't clear up with chicken and rice you can starve them for 24 hours. It helps them clear their system out. There is a school of thought that says you should only feed dogs six days out of seven for exactly that reasons. Hope it clears up soon, my two do it all the time!!

tabulahrasa Sat 19-Jan-13 11:54:19

I always just skip a meal, then give them chicken and rice for the next one or two - that usually gives them a chance to settle down and go to the vets if it gets worse or if it hasn't cleared after 48 hours.

Our routine for this is the same as whatnameforme - try chicken and rice first, then starve if that doesn't work. We get this a lot with our girl as she's a terrible scavenger and eats all sorts of rubbish! We usually find it helpful to feed more smaller meals of the chicken and rice, too.

If it keeps up, dog starts to seem unwell, or you notice blood in the stools take to the vet - last time our girl had an infection so needed a course of anti-biotics to clear it up.

ClaimedByMe Sat 19-Jan-13 16:31:37

Thanks, she hasn't pooped since about 10am and seems fine, we gave her a wee drop chappie at lunchtime as thats what my mums dog eats as he has a sensitive tum and she has been fine after that, I have chicken breasts in the fridge and will try them if she has another runny poo!

sookiesucksvamps Sun 20-Jan-13 19:21:33

My morkie gets occasional bouts of d and v I recommend johnsons diarrhoea tabs from pets at home stops it instantly they also sell some food for very sensitive stomaches I can't remember the brand have you changed food recently that's what usually sets ours off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now