GRACE Greyhound Rescue need your help!

(37 Posts)
D0oinMeCleanin Mon 14-Jan-13 10:09:55

We are having trouble raising enough awareness about dogs. Please, if you have a minute, like and share our FB page Here

The more people who know about our dogs, the more chance they have to find their very own forever sofa smile

sooperdooper Tue 15-Jan-13 14:41:42

(unless it's raining or snowing, in which case they will look at you like you are some kind of murderer if you try and make them go outside)

grin I know that look, I got it this morning when it was snowing!!! 'You want me to go where?' hmm

CooEeeEldridge Tue 15-Jan-13 14:50:45

I love greyhounds! I would need one to be ok around horses though, and it would be good if it could be off the lead whilst down stables. People tell me this isnt possible with greyhounds though as they will be off after rabbits etc? Is that the case?

D0oinMeCleanin Tue 15-Jan-13 15:00:26

Horse friendly is a new one grin. There's a stables and brindle track just up the road from me, so we could definitely horse test any of the dogs and let you know how they get on, the ones I foster/have fostered all meet horses on their walks

Off lead really depends upon the dog. Most, but not all, will try and chase, however some can be trained to recall and some don't chase at all. Shadow was great off lead and is fine with horses, I know that, as for the rest you would have to contact Tracy at GRACE and she'd let you know.

CooEeeEldridge Tue 15-Jan-13 17:54:37

Thank you!!! I've liked the Facebook page anyway do will get in touch!

cq Tue 15-Jan-13 17:58:54

Thanks for the info. Isn't it funny how such a fast breed can also be lazy?! I love seeing them out on walks, always so elegant and well behaved on a lead.

greyhoundgrace Wed 16-Jan-13 00:27:54

Hi I'm the rehoming co-ordinator for GRACE we have lots of greyhounds and lurchers awaiting a forever home, each with their own personality. I walk the dogs in my care on land next to a horses field most are fine it's about the introduction to another animal if done carefully there wont be any problems. Most have good recall but some don't, you would need a greyhound who has good recall and providing there are not busy roads around they will be fine off lead.
I can be contacted on 07840771583 if you want any further information on any of our lovely greys and lurchers Tracy smile

CooEeeEldridge Wed 16-Jan-13 12:44:42

Thank you so much for getting in touch Tracy, that does sound good about some of them having good recall. That's never really been said to me before, fields are away from roads. Our farrier always brings her lovely lurcher down who just porters about, wasn't sure if they were very different to grey hounds though? Will get in touch anyway!!

sooperdooper Wed 16-Jan-13 14:16:39

I know they're all different but our Greyhound isn't great with recall if there was anything he spotted he wanted to chase (cat, rabbit, squirrells he is most confused by!)

We're working on it, but he was 8 when we got him, so not sure how far we'll get, but we're trying

spudballoo Wed 16-Jan-13 21:10:27

Have liked. And, disasterous, looked at all the dogs. Why? I'm in Suffolk. I have a labradoodle who, at 11 mths, is consuming all of my energy. Am so longing for another dog and I really really really want a hound. Ssssshhhh now.

spudballoo Wed 16-Jan-13 21:14:55

Oh, um, and Shadow would be mine. In my imaginary world. Or Pippa. Or both? Crap, I should never ever look at rescue sites. Ever.

D0oinMeCleanin Wed 16-Jan-13 22:32:39

Shadow is now reserved pending a homecheck, sorry all. Great news for Shadow though.

Sasha is still available, she's like a mini female Shadow. Pippa is still available too Spud grin

greyhoundgrace Wed 16-Jan-13 22:33:21

spudballoo we don't have a restriction on distance - it's the home that counts smile you need a Blue to keep a labradoodle busy lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now