Why do dogs drag their arse along the carpet?

(32 Posts)
Jinglemyalanbells Mon 07-Jan-13 21:56:27

Does Alan dog need worming? Last one was end of oct?

Steth Mon 07-Jan-13 21:57:47

Itchy bum because of worms

gemma4d Mon 07-Jan-13 21:59:06

blocked adrenal glands?

Mutt Mon 07-Jan-13 22:00:15

Could be worms. Or glands.

WhoWhatWhereWhen Mon 07-Jan-13 22:01:54

Anal glands, not a pleasant job to empty them............

Mutt Mon 07-Jan-13 22:02:29

<scratches arse>

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Mon 07-Jan-13 22:06:45

Blocked anal glands, not a pleasant job.

HousewifeFromHeaven Mon 07-Jan-13 22:07:30

Yes anal glands. Smaller dogs are more prone to this. Sometimes there is a 'fishy' smell too. The vet does my pugs glands every 6 months or so, I know they need doing cos of the arse drag and sniffing. Disgusting.

WhoWhatWhereWhen Mon 07-Jan-13 22:08:48
Abigail9580 Mon 07-Jan-13 22:13:45

Definitely anal glands ( am a vet nurse) get them emptied at the vets, then increase your dogs fibre in his diet. I normally recommend one tablespoon of wheat germ or Alban on his good very couple of days. That normally stops them from getting full so often.

Our puppy has done this a few times so I mentioned it at his last 4 weekly weigh and worm check. They said anal glands and but said they were reluctant to manually do them without increasing fibre first. They recommended a little weetabix.

HoneyDragon Tue 08-Jan-13 00:10:21

Deffo try fibre first.

Anal glands are like very evil Pringles, once you pop you can't stop.

You will have to keep doing them

diddl Germany Tue 08-Jan-13 09:12:45

Ooh!

Our dog did this once & we thought it was that he´d got poo round his bum & was wiping it offblush

We cleaned his bum & the carpethmm & he hasn´t done it since.

So that´s once in 2yrs!

SpicyPear Tue 08-Jan-13 09:16:41

Puppy tried to scoot across my naice footstool the other day. Really hoping he isn't one of those dogs with gland issues <boak> so fibre it is!

Marne Tue 08-Jan-13 09:24:10

My dog does this but she is wormed (so doesn't have worms), i think its just an itchy bum (we all get an itchy bum now and then) grin, we use toilet roll to wipe are asses and dogs use carpet/rugs smile.

My older jack russle does this occasionally and it looks hilarious as she doesn't go across the carpet she does it on the spot in a circle as if she's break dancing with her nose pointing towards the ceiling in a mightier than thou pose...

FellatioNelson Tue 08-Jan-13 09:38:31

Could be worms, could be that they have a little bit of something still attached from their previous poo, like a long bit of grass, that they can't get out.

Sorry, TMI and sad on behalf of your carpet. grin

<makes grand exit involving feather fans and trumpets>

Anal glands. Itchy, uncomfortable arse caused by over full bum juice holders. You can go to the vet and be shown how to do it at home. I recommend surgical gloves, aiming the offending arse away from you and having an empty stomach.

Imsosorryalan Tue 08-Jan-13 14:01:53

Oh dear, still laughing at 2tireds doggrin
Weetabix first I think, god I hope it isn't the other! Don't fancy any bum squeezing..

Aquelven Tue 08-Jan-13 20:22:55

Definitely analysts glands usually.
If you don't know how to empty them get the vet to do it & watch. It's dimple once you get the knack, save a vet bill.
Letting them have a whole, raw carrot to chew helps keep them clear.

Aquelven Tue 08-Jan-13 20:24:20

Anal glands......wouldn't really fancy squeezing an analysts ones grin mind you, suppose it depends on the analyst.

Aquelven Tue 08-Jan-13 20:25:29

SIMPLE...dimple, never looked if my lot have dimples, bit hairy to see.

mrsjay Tue 08-Jan-13 21:05:09

why would anybody want to do anal glands JUST WHY <faints> that is what vets are for .

Inthepotty Tue 08-Jan-13 21:49:50

Chickens'll be along soon!!

Inthepotty Tue 08-Jan-13 21:52:07

Sorry x post!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now