My dog died today.

(40 Posts)
Lifeisontheup Thu 27-Dec-12 22:14:36

My darling Springer spaniel died today. She was 14 and we knew she didn't have long, yesterday she had her usual half hour walk, snaffled some left over turkey then this morning I let her out at 5.00am and went to work, DH came down at 5.30 and thought she was sleeping, tried to wake her for a walk but she had died. sad

So sad but glad that she died peacefully and painlessly on her own hearth rug. A moment I've been dreading, there is an empty space in all our life's today, hopefully she is catching all those rabbits which eluded her in life.

theodorakisses Wed 02-Jan-13 11:02:31

I am so sorry, I lost my old boy recently and there is nothing to say except to send you love and sympathy.

Paddlinglikehell Sat 29-Dec-12 23:57:55

So sorry, we lost our old girl 2 weeks ago. Sadly she was put to sleep and it was hard, I always hoped we may find her one morning in her bed just gone, but it wasn't to be.

Sound like you gave just as much as she gave you. Remember the good times. X

doglover Sat 29-Dec-12 15:54:15

So, so sorry to hear about your loss. We'll be facing this very soon and know how heartbreaking it is. xxxx

kid Sat 29-Dec-12 15:39:13

I'm so sorry to hear about your lovely springer life' they are such wonderful companions. I got my first springer a couple of years ago, sadly he died at 7 months old. I didn't think I would ever get over losing him, but I did and now have a 2 1/2 year old springer.

SuoceraBlues Sat 29-Dec-12 10:31:30

Oh sweetheart, I am so sorry. It leaves such a big empty space where a long time companion used to be.

I'm glad the end was gentle. But feel for you, becuase your pain is anything but.

<huge big fat hug>

countrykitten Sat 29-Dec-12 10:26:03

I am so terribly sorry. Springers are the greatest dogs in the world - such loyalty, soppiness and beauty (and greediness!) all combined. My two Springer boys are getting on now but if I could choose the manner of their passing it would be that they went in their sleep by the fire at home knowing that they were loved and safe just like your girl. There can be no better way.

You must be hurting so badly now but in time you will be able to think of your cuddles with her and your rainy walks and smile. They never really leave us because we carry their memories with us always. Thinking of you.

LoveDogs Sat 29-Dec-12 10:18:14

So sorry for your loss.

We lost our old girl 4 years ago, she was 13. She died at home, we think she had a heart attack, but we think it was the best way to go rather than having to be PTS, she'd been for a wonderful walk in the afternoon and died in the evening, she was happy till the end. We just hope our other old girl dies at home too as she's now 13.

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Fri 28-Dec-12 23:32:31

Life - I am so very sorry, it's so hard when they go sad

I am pleased that she went in such a lovely way though - at home, on her hearth rug, peacefully... you couldn't ask for more than that if it was her time. Of course, you just wish it wasn't her time sad

They leave a big hole in your life, but always stay in your heart
x

judefawley Fri 28-Dec-12 23:25:25

So sorry for you, but if it doesn't sound odd, envious that she had a peaceful death at home, happy and content.

Our 14 year old dog died recently, but we had her put to sleep at the vet's and it was awful, not the peaceful end you describe.

bumpybecky Fri 28-Dec-12 23:21:03

So very sorry sad it sounds like she had a wonderful life with you. Be gentle on yourself for the next few weeks x

biff23 Fri 28-Dec-12 23:05:07

So very sorry hmm

I have a cocker and truly appreciate the loveliness of spaniels. Take comfort from the fact she died peacefully at home, this is what we all ultimately want for our furry companions.

Feel so bad for you.

So very, very sorry. She sounds like such a wonderful dog. I'm glad her passing was so peaceful.

higgle Fri 28-Dec-12 22:14:43

So sorry about your sad news. It is rare, I think, for a dog to die at home like this ( our old PBGV did, aged 16) and you can at least think that she had no idea her time had come.

countrykitten Fri 28-Dec-12 21:46:26

Springers are the very best. We have two who are getting on now and I would wish for my boys the gentle passing that your lovely girl had. There is loyalty and then there is Springer loyalty and once you have had one you are never the same again. It is horribly painful now but I hope that in time you will look back on a life well lived and full of cuddles and rainy walks and smile.

I'm so sorry x

AndARedwingInAPearTree Thu 27-Dec-12 23:22:38

I'm so sorry for your loss sad

gymmummy64 Thu 27-Dec-12 23:21:53

Please don't feel self indulgent up, sounds like the best possible life and the best possible end and you have every reason to grieve xx

Lifeisontheup Thu 27-Dec-12 22:57:32

Give him a hug from me too,Laurie Springers can never have too many hugs or treats. They are fabulous dogs.

So sorry for your loss. My elderly springer is getting hugged tonight.

I've never met a more food obsessed, easy to please breed. And one so tied to his humans.

Sending you love {{{{hugs}}}}

Lifeisontheup Thu 27-Dec-12 22:50:10

Thanks for all your kind comments, I feel self indulgent, so many people have worse things to endure.

Lifeisontheup Thu 27-Dec-12 22:48:13

She spent her last night so close to the fire she nearly set fire to herself just as she always did, the DS's didn't go to bed until just before I got up at 4.30 so she wasn't alone at all in her last hours, so glad that her passing was gentle, just like her.
But I want her back , to walk in the rain, with a dog that loved bad weather, in rain she was in her element and snow turned her into a puppy again. I know that I am being selfish but can't help it today.

AllOverIt Thu 27-Dec-12 22:46:15

So sorry for your loss hmm

QODRestYeMerryGentlemen Thu 27-Dec-12 22:46:09

Ah how sad, but how lovely too x

VicarInaTutuDrankSantasSherry Thu 27-Dec-12 22:45:19

im sorry. it hurts - i still miss my boy. my girl is getting on now too and i dread that day....

bamboozled Thu 27-Dec-12 22:41:57

Thinking of you... We are counting down our time left with my lovely lovely old lab and know how special every week is. How fab that it was peaceful and at home, not that last trip to the vet xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now