dog has bitten me hard (end of my tether)

(20 Posts)
EasyToEatTiger Sun 30-Dec-12 18:51:05

We were taught a method of pressure/release. I can't proclaim to understanding it, but our horror dog is a changed beast. Although he has no job of work to do, we still have to treat him as though he does. If he is a working dog, give him something to do, even if it as simple as stopping in the middle of a field, finding a toy... coming back to you...
The pressure release method works by rewarding the positive and reducing the options for getting it wrong.

countrykitten Fri 28-Dec-12 21:20:34

Good luck with him - he is only a baby and is finding his way. Agree about Wiccaweys they are the collie EXPERTS! Give them a call. And give your pup loads of exercise.

1230Boo Fri 28-Dec-12 20:44:35

My collie used to do this but I solved it by using a small water pistol when he jumped to nip clothes etc.

mrsjay Fri 28-Dec-12 12:41:45

hi I am in a much better frame of mind today and he has been an absolute angel over christmas , yes we have had collies before charlie or Xs I have had 6 dogs and never had a biter he is our first I just think it will be an uphill challenge with him , we have started bedding him down for an hour or 2 in the afternoon( sounds like a toddler nap ) and he has been so much calmer , over the last few days

Charliefox Tue 25-Dec-12 20:35:20

Have you had border collies before? They can be a very challenging breed and I would never recommend them for a family home. They are best suited to an outdoor environment with a job to do. I am generalising massively, I know that, but they don't tend to be particularly fussed about cuddles and love. They need stimulation and hard work to keep them occupied. That said, the rescue centres are bursting at the seams and I would do anything before I handed a dog over to them.

Jingleallthejay Mon 24-Dec-12 18:22:52

thanks for the link appreciated

QuietTiger Mon 24-Dec-12 18:21:39

Speak to Wiccaweys Here They are very experienced and will be able to advise you how to handle things. 9 months is a "Kevin teenager" stage. Would write more, but DH is on at me to go out, so may not get back until tomorrow.

suffice to say, ring Wiccs.

Jingleallthejay Mon 24-Dec-12 17:26:27

oh floral least you love him If jaydog was just naughty id be fine it is the nipping that i can't cope with,

Floralnomad Mon 24-Dec-12 15:45:29

Thing is my husband took 20 + years to agree to getting a dog so even if floral hound was a complete nightmare I'd have to say he was fabulous ! Luckily I don't have to lie and the DH loves him as well ,although he won't admit it.

Jingleallthejay Mon 24-Dec-12 15:35:40

I will contact them again after christmas eeek at nearly 3 shock

Snusmumriken Mon 24-Dec-12 15:31:57

Could you contact the rescue and ask for advice?

Floralnomad Mon 24-Dec-12 15:31:46

I'd like to say it gets better but mine is 2.7 and still like it ! We got him from Battersea at about 14 weeks and apart from his little moments we've been very lucky as he is generally really good .

Jingleallthejay Mon 24-Dec-12 15:24:05

I just tell him no then shut him outside of whatever room I'm in for 5 minutes ,works every time here.

yes we put him out for 5 it does calm him, he just caught me today he is such hard work rescue did say he was stubborn and bossy ,

Jingleallthejay Mon 24-Dec-12 15:22:09

s your dog getting enough stimulation?

he is walked and then goes for a play and i do training at home with him and he is coming along great when i do all that with him it is just the rest of the time,

dd2 has put him in his crate for a nap

Floralnomad Mon 24-Dec-12 15:07:35

My terrier has mad moments when he will grab and bite (really hard) and oddly it usually happens when we come in from a walk .I just tell him no then shut him outside of whatever room I'm in for 5 minutes ,works every time here.

Snusmumriken Mon 24-Dec-12 14:49:21

I am not an expert on dog behaviour, but my JRT is a nightmare unless she has had a long run. At least 5k a day. Is your dog getting enough stimulation?

Jingleallthejay Mon 24-Dec-12 14:44:13

I don't want to muzzle him I think i got a fright tbh

Jingleallthejay Mon 24-Dec-12 14:43:49

thanks for replying yes we do do leave it yes he thinks its a game and we have tried are doing the distraction methods I wasn't even doing anything earlier . I did stop the pulling games, Oh he is such hard work it wasn't the biting as such but how hard he did it, as if he is getting stronger and it is harder,

Jinglemyalanbells Mon 24-Dec-12 14:37:44

Hmm I can sympathise, my 6 month old has snapped at my daughter and drawn blood recently. I was near to giving her up. However, her issues are fear though.
Does your dog wag his tail, does he think its a game? Do you wear loose fitting clothes?
Have you tried teaching him the command " leave it"?
If you google teaching a dog leave it, it will give you an idea of how to start. Also, look into clicker training as this has positive reinforcement and clear results if you are consistent.
For now, I would stop playing all tugging and pulling games and if he starts to nip, turn your back and stand still, if he still carries on I would distract him by throwing a treat on the floor so he lets go of you! You can then quickly grab a dog toy for some fetch type games. Also make sure he has an alternative to chew instead of you!

Jingleallthejay Mon 24-Dec-12 14:25:42

my collie pup (9 months) has bitten meI really dont know how to handle him anymore we have been to see a behaviourist and we are doing everything she recommended but he is still ragging at clothes I can get him off if he isn't to excited but this last bite was really sore , i just did his off training in a quiet voice and he bit my leg,

I was thinking of muzziling him until he grows out of it or is better trained we are trying really hard with him but if it wasn't christmas eve I would be calling the rescue to come and get him sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now