Are you a Greyhound, Whippet or Lurcher owner? Come and have a seat on the new Pointy Hounds cushion!

(997 Posts)
TheCunnyFunt Wed 29-Aug-12 18:39:36

Pointy hounds include-
Greyhounds (Grunds)
Whippets (Whippys)
Lurchers
Italian Greyhounds (Iggys)
Salukis
Afghans
And any others I have forgotten. If you are a new pointy hound owner, an old and experienced owner or looking into getting one of these fabulous creatures, come and have a seat (that's not taken up with a hound).

Share advice, stories and shopping tips!
AK Creations
Bonnie dogs
GRWE shop
Our very own Scuttle's Milgi coats
Silver Peacock

Jake
I didn’t really want you,
I wasn’t really sure,
And I’ll admit I had my doubts,
When you first came through that door.

Not small, or cute, or fluffy,
With big, soft puppy eyes,
But tall, and thin, and bony,
With bald, pink, bulging thighs.

You weren’t the kind I had in mind,
Not in any way,
“Perhaps it would be better if I took you back today,
Before we know each other,
It really won’t be kind,
To keep you here for one more day,
And then to change my mind.”

But against my better judgement, I decided you could stay,
And quickly I discovered you were kind in every way,
Your gentleness and patience, they really stole the show,
“Why these dogs are wonderful, I must let others know!”

For you’re my gentle giant,
Who just needed the chance,
To show us all what you could be,
To wipe away that history,
And dispel our preconceptions, which put us all to shame,
And so we come to know and love,
What lies beneath that frame.

And now I’ve come to understand,
What I missed right at the start,
That greyhounds need that great deep chest,
To house their great big hearts!
By Denise Dubarbier
smile

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Sun 03-Feb-13 22:17:50
mistlethrush Sun 03-Feb-13 22:05:15

we've got a cuddly sighthound too - that was one of the requirements! She's currently sitting next to me on the sofa - she doesn't sit 'on' you, but likes to sit next to you or leaning against you. Mind you, on her first night, she did end up going to sleep on my lap becaus eshe wasn't settling... and then I gave up and we moved up to the bedroom and managed to keep her on the floor most of the time - although within touching distance.

She did turn into rather a daddy's dog... because DH is currently working at home. However, despite that, she's now gradually swapping to being a Mummy's dog... I don't know why - apart from perhaps the fact that I give her lots of attention in the evenings whilst DH ignores her and works most of the day.....

We got home this afternoon and I had to put her in the bath - and DS in the shower. She smelt of eau de bog and DS was very muddy (he was wearning shorts (his choice, permitted by DH on Sat so I didn't object too much))

This dog, like our last, won't be going into kennels and we'll find someone to look after her for us (normally my parents, but others also available). Last dog would have thought that she had been abandoned again.

Is there anyone in the eastish midlands / Yorkshire that's free on Sat for a touch of lurcher racing?

LostInWales Sun 03-Feb-13 21:36:23

Did he go straight for your knee TicTac? I love the idea of soft lovely sighthounds getting a new forever home where they get love and cuddles. You'll have to share a picture of him somewhere. I've just found out that when I was away DH let whippety sleep under the duvet with him shock. (grin)

TicTacSir Sun 03-Feb-13 21:12:13

Oh dear... Im new here but have big stories to tell.
My new rescue whippy (4) is curled up on me. I love him so much. I also have a nutty cockapoo (4).
I've lost two ex racing greyhounds in recent years; cancer and lupus.
Im a mum of two - 5 & almost-2. My kids love my dogs more than me!
Xxx

LostInWales Sun 03-Feb-13 21:00:07

Mr P looks absolutely gorgeous! I love watching them run, I normally meet up with at least one other whippet owner on the beach just so we can watch them go flat out, always leaves me with a big smile.

Love the idea of waddling Sprocket grin.

Scuttle, your nephews sound ace.

I had a weekend away and I think whippety boy was more excited to see me than the children!

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Sun 03-Feb-13 20:25:52

If it's an ex racer then they're used to living in kennels, they've lived in kennels all their lives. Houndy will be fine smile

Lesbeadiva Sun 03-Feb-13 19:51:44

We are on our way to adopting a greyhound!need to arrange a home check. Can I ask grey owners a question? If you go away on holiday and can't take the dog, do they go ok in kennels? I may have the option of someone looking after said (imaginary at the moment) dog, but that's not definite. I don't imagine they would like kennels you see.

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Sat 02-Feb-13 21:27:45

Haha! Brilliant grin did he take a bow?

Sprocket was that insistant that he didn't want to get off the sofa that when he did eventually stand up it was blatantly obvious that he was desperate for a poo, he was waddling along trying to keep it in hmm

Mr P got a round of applause down the park today! Apparently he was going as fast as dh has ever seen him doing round zoomies and weavies on the big field. So fast that a couple of passing walkers gave him a clap. grin

mistlethrush Fri 01-Feb-13 14:38:52

East of England Lurcher club might have something to do with it - last year it was held at the East of England Showground in Peterborough on 13/14th October. Its clearly been there before. There were lots of other events taking place at the same time as the lurcher stuff - various classes for sheep, pigs, cows etc, hens, pigeons, doves, ducks.... some horses in an outdoor ring, some jumping, a 'traditional' (ie no lurchers dashing around wildly) agility competition in a different part etc etc etc.

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Fri 01-Feb-13 14:21:41

Mistle what is the Peterborough one called? When is it? Might see if I can get there, it sounds fun!

mistlethrush Fri 01-Feb-13 13:15:10

Ooooh I already have a friend that's a member! I have applied to join.... (I'm in Yorkshire)

DH was rather hmm about me taking mistlehound racing... I took her once on my own, then took DS along - and DH also came last time. I think that he actually enjoyed it - and he also instigated the purchase of a martingale collar!!!! grin She does love going though - and hopefully it will help with the simulated coursing if we manage to go to any of that over the summer.

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Fri 01-Feb-13 12:35:02

Ooh nearly time for a new fred!

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Fri 01-Feb-13 12:24:38

I can't find it. Stupid phone internet is really slow so it hardly ever loads everything that it should do hmm

It's called Sighthound Meets, Walks, Shows and Events..... and I commend it the house... grin

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Fri 01-Feb-13 10:05:49

Btw Scuttle what is the name of that FB page?

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Fri 01-Feb-13 10:03:30

Mistle that doesn't matter, I know it's called Greyhound gathering and it is mostly greys there, but there's also loads of other breeds, lurchers included smile This is the class list from last year.

Mistle, we are going to loads! Obviously the Tent of Destiny will be popping up at quite a few, but we enjoy going to some anyway. There's a very good FB page set up for Sighthounds Walks and Events which lists all the nice things that pointies can do. Thinking about it, our dogs have a better social life than we do! Walks, playgroups, classes, shows etc.... grin

Roughly whereabouts in the UK are you?

mistlethrush Fri 01-Feb-13 09:31:16

But mistlehound isn't a Greyhound.. so I'm not sure that she'll be appropriate there! A bit too scruffy perhaps?

We will, however, definitely be aiming for Peterborough - we went, dogless, last time and it looked really fun (if you had a dog) - they do simulated coursing and have races and fun agility etc...

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Fri 01-Feb-13 09:11:12

Boys are gross grin

Mistle I will be going to the Great Greyhound Gathering, it's in Nottingham and me and Sprocket went last year, that's where we met Scuttle, her DH, one of her hounds and the Tent Of Destiny. It's also where Sprocket won his first rosette, he won 4th place in the black greyhound dogs class smile the judge was a crufts judge too <proud>

GGG is worth going just for the shopping grin

i'll probably go to a little local show in June too, it clashed with mine and DDs birthdays last year so we couldn't go.

mistlethrush Fri 01-Feb-13 08:59:01

Anyone going to any events with their hounds this year? I was contemplating going with mistlehound and letting DS take her in for junior handler... She'll just try to lick the judge and if he's really lucky, she'll sit for him (it takes A LOT of brainpower to do that). But we certainly won't be doing anything highbrow...

I will see if I can find a pic of Boola's feet. God this is as bad as talking about poo all the time - deformed toenails!! They'd probably find the chicken's feet awesome as my SIL is a veggie so they could wave them at her. They are coming to stay for a dog show visit in April - they will be interested to hear about other people's collections of strange bits. Occasionally one of the dogs will shed the outer layer of their dewclaw - they liked that so much they put it under their microscope and sent pics to their grandparents!

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Thu 31-Jan-13 22:32:27

Oh good, I'm glad it's probably nothing to worry about. I'd be more than happy to send the nail on if they wanted to extend their collection grin maybe send them a couple of gross chickens feet too grin

Darling Boola used to have one like that. It grew at a funny angle and never looked healthy, and regularly used to fall off. Bizarrely, our nephews were fascinated, and regularly would take nails home with them. confused

We asked the vet - damage to nail beds is a very common racing injury and though the nail grows back it is wonky and stunted and will fall out easily. Nothing you can do, and just one of those things that is a legacy of their working lives.

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Thu 31-Jan-13 22:20:11

One of Sprockets claws came off today! DD handed it to me, I thought it was a piece of wood at first until I realised what it was.

Photo here
And here

When we first got Sprocket, he had a claw missing, and it's been slowly growing back. So I inspected his paws when I realised that it was a claw, and discovered that the claw is the one that was missing/was growing back. The thing is, it was growing upwards, and now it's off, I can see that it hadn't actually formed properly at all, it appears to have a chunk missing and it doesn't look like a healthy claw (it looks like a piece of dried rotten wood!). I poked and prodded his toe and he doesn't appear to be in any pain at all, he didn't flinch. Just looked at me like I was barking (grin)

As it isn't causing him any pain, is it worth a trip to the vets?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now