Are you a Greyhound, Whippet or Lurcher owner? Come and have a seat on the new Pointy Hounds cushion!

(997 Posts)
TheCunnyFunt Wed 29-Aug-12 18:39:36

Pointy hounds include-
Greyhounds (Grunds)
Whippets (Whippys)
Lurchers
Italian Greyhounds (Iggys)
Salukis
Afghans
And any others I have forgotten. If you are a new pointy hound owner, an old and experienced owner or looking into getting one of these fabulous creatures, come and have a seat (that's not taken up with a hound).

Share advice, stories and shopping tips!
AK Creations
Bonnie dogs
GRWE shop
Our very own Scuttle's Milgi coats
Silver Peacock

Jake
I didn’t really want you,
I wasn’t really sure,
And I’ll admit I had my doubts,
When you first came through that door.

Not small, or cute, or fluffy,
With big, soft puppy eyes,
But tall, and thin, and bony,
With bald, pink, bulging thighs.

You weren’t the kind I had in mind,
Not in any way,
“Perhaps it would be better if I took you back today,
Before we know each other,
It really won’t be kind,
To keep you here for one more day,
And then to change my mind.”

But against my better judgement, I decided you could stay,
And quickly I discovered you were kind in every way,
Your gentleness and patience, they really stole the show,
“Why these dogs are wonderful, I must let others know!”

For you’re my gentle giant,
Who just needed the chance,
To show us all what you could be,
To wipe away that history,
And dispel our preconceptions, which put us all to shame,
And so we come to know and love,
What lies beneath that frame.

And now I’ve come to understand,
What I missed right at the start,
That greyhounds need that great deep chest,
To house their great big hearts!
By Denise Dubarbier
smile

mistlethrush Wed 05-Dec-12 22:31:39

we should do a mn pointy dog-sitting-service.... [grin}

MagratGarlik Thu 06-Dec-12 21:15:35

I'm sure he'll be fine, Cunny. Better to have him in a kennel than left alone. Go out and enjoy yourself it is almost Christmas after all!

WhenSantaGotStuckUpACunnyFunt Sat 08-Dec-12 07:43:37

I know he'll be fine. But he is my PFD grin I was recommended the kennels by someone who will only send her greyhounds there. The woman that runs them is also a Dachshund breeder.

Sprockets whippy friend split her leg open the other day shock she severed an artery and tendons. She's on complete bedrest for 4 weeks and to stop her trying to jump on the furniture her owners have turned their sofas and chairs around to face the wall, they've blocked off the stairs and brought the mattress down off their spare bed. They're sleeping downstairs too (whippy sleeps on the bed), the only reason tge go upstairs is to use the bathroom. And she has to have 24/7 supervision so she doesn't chew her bandage off. I've not seen her yet but we're allowed to visit next week. Poor thing sad

tennesseyhennessey Sat 08-Dec-12 07:49:46

hi, i joined this thread a while ago in sept when we got our whippet. i have started anew thread called 'limping whippet' in this section and was wondering if any of you experienced owners could take a look?!

TisILeclerc Sat 08-Dec-12 09:25:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WhenSantaGotStuckUpACunnyFunt Sat 08-Dec-12 10:20:23

Are you adamant that you have to have a puppy? If not, look at Scruples Whippet rescue.

TisILeclerc Sat 08-Dec-12 10:22:44

WhenSantaGotStuckUpACunnyFunt Sat 08-Dec-12 10:28:31

There are a few ar Scruples who say they are great with children. If you don't ask you don't get smile

Fwiw the rescue where we got Sprocket (greyhound) from rehome to anyone, DD was 7.5mo when we got him, she's now 17.5mo.

TisILeclerc Sat 08-Dec-12 10:39:44

MagratGarlik Sat 08-Dec-12 14:30:05

Hi TislLeClerc - probably a rescue would be better than a pup, given you already have one dog. I do sooner if a whippy might find a collie companion a bit full on though. Our whippy likes very calm dogs and gets a bit freaked out by very energetic ones. From what I understand this is quite typical of whippys. A rescue would be better able to assess the two dogs together. Also have you thought about a lurcher which might be more energetic and intelligent companion for your collie?(depending on the mix).

TisILeclerc Sat 08-Dec-12 15:50:18

TisILeclerc Sat 08-Dec-12 15:52:55

One of the Scruples rescue team is definitely a MNetter - she might see this. They are a highly reputable charity and very well thought of - if you do decide to go with them you will be in very safe hands.

Lurchers vary considerably in size, but a surprising amount of pups come through rescues. Try Lurcher Link and i'd also recommend Evesham Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue - here - they often have pups, and have some lovely young dogs at the moment.

poweredbytoast Sat 08-Dec-12 18:22:22

Evening all. I've put a couple of photos of Toastydog on my profile - it only took a week! Regarding questions about lurcher suitability with children I can only add that he is great but perhaps loves them a little too much and wants to join in all their games. Does anyone have any tips on recall training with this type? When he's playing with other dogs he ignores me completely, which can be difficult when the other dog's owner doesn't understand that despite his size, he's a puppy and has less than perfect manners. My ' serious voice' was all I needed for my GSD but has no currency now!

MagratGarlik Sat 08-Dec-12 19:58:14

Don't know if it is right, but our dog trainer told us not to let the dogs off until they had perfect recall. She said otherwise another dog sooner our later would take exception to him if he hadn't learned some manners yet and he could end up in a fight. We still now only let them both off in secure areas or on the beach as whilst Woody's recall is great, Jessie's is not very reliable.

Have you tried liver cake as an incentive to come back? It worked wonders for Woody.

mistlethrush Sat 08-Dec-12 21:05:08

We would never get round to letting ours off then I think if we left it to that!

Tis - we've just got ours from LurcherLink - and she's wonderful with children, and would love playing with a collie. She's that much more robust than whippets. Based on what I've seen on IG sites (ie need to check gardens for opportunities to break legs etc) we decided that IGs were definitely not robust enough for us! There's a gorgeous little lurcher pup currently looking for a home - his sister has just found one - and a nice black looking one has just come in looking for a foster initially whilst he gets some weight on (fostering might be a way to see how the house adjusts to a lurcher, your dog gets on with a lurcher, and whether that lurcher is the right one for you!!!). Good luck resisting for a year or so grin

Tis - lots of lurchers have some collie in their mix. Ours has rough collie in the mix - which is unusual but does mean he is an exceptionally pretty boy - not that I am biased.

On recall - I don't know how you know it is perfect until you test it. But Mr P's is pretty good - except when he is going full tilt with another dog. I've learnt to pop him onto the lead when I have any doubts that the owner/dog will be OK with his antics (which means he is on and off all the time). We also work on recall all the time. Lots of highest value treats and call him back to us every couple of mins ie not just when he has to go onto the lead. It's now excellent - but we have to keep our eyes on the horizon too.

TisILeclerc Sun 09-Dec-12 17:16:07

Funnily enough, I am making Onyx a housecoat - his foster home doesn't have central heating and he's a bit chilly at night. He is having a lovely purple fleece one to keep him toasty and snuggly until he finds his forever sofa. smile

TisILeclerc Sun 09-Dec-12 18:58:49

MagratGarlik Mon 10-Dec-12 20:00:31

Christmas shopping for the hounds. I just ordered a lovely orange flowery housecoat for our tigger-stripped grin.

WhenSantaGotStuckUpACunnyFunt Mon 10-Dec-12 20:15:12

Ooh lovely Magrat, I bet she'll look gorgeous! Hmmm orange and flowery you say? Sounds rather familiar. . . .

Ooh, this is so exciting! grin I got back a little while ago from picking up orders from the embroiderer (lots of gorgeous stocking cuffs) and one of our machinists. Now I am like a little Christmas elf, busily wrapping and packing, including a stocking for the wonderfully named "Bertie Pickle". smile Then DH phoned and said I should put down the sticky tape and look at the computer as we'd had a flurry of orders. And I saw a very familiar name and address wink

MagratGarlik Mon 10-Dec-12 21:14:40

I think it's a girls right to look her best at Christmas time of course.

WhenSantaGotStuckUpACunnyFunt Mon 10-Dec-12 21:28:20

grin Bertie Pickle!?! That is an awesome name! Sprocket used to be called Bertie but was officially Brett on paper. He also has a brother called Bertie (possibly Andy's brother too) smile

You sound like you're very busy Scuttle, I take it the stickings are a big hit?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now