I am a total wuss; I will not cope at all

(44 Posts)
KatyMac Sun 10-Feb-13 20:19:24

DD (15) is off to London for half-term to do a course

She has been poorly

She hasn't got her Oyster card but she can navigate the tube; she doesn't know her route yet but we will do it with her before she starts

She is staying with my uncle (who will spoil her)

She will be fine; I am panicking

I am officially a wuss

KatyMac Fri 22-Feb-13 20:31:29

She is home

She survived
I survived

She thinks she is too young to go away yet (yippee)

KatyMac Mon 18-Feb-13 22:56:54

simultaneously scary and wonderful to see them growing up that is so true

Maryz Mon 18-Feb-13 22:06:28

At least she rang you to tell you that grin.

She didn't leave you sleepless and worrying for the week! Seriously, though, that's great, it's simultaneously scary and wonderful to see them growing up and becoming independent.

KatyMac Mon 18-Feb-13 19:37:26

Well as predicted she loves it!

It is amazing

mrsjay Mon 18-Feb-13 09:29:16

dd1 went to london twice at 15 from scotland on the train with her friend for a youth conference thing I was a wreck I feel your pain

KatyMac Sun 17-Feb-13 22:52:45

I think I was so wound up in the practicalities of it all I forgot the emotionssad

Plus it's the first time we have ever left her, rather than her leaving us

Yep. DD1 did this when she left for Uni. She phoned my niece after we left her at halls and was giving her the full trembly lip treatment and saying that she missed us. My niece then told my sister, who then phoned me to tell me angry

I tried to contact DD to see if she was OK, but no reply (poor mobile signal). She called the next day and was full of how wonderful everything was - the previous evening she would have been too busy making friends with her flat mates to take my call. I, however, had spent a sleepless night, worried that she would be unhappy.

Your DD will be fine, I'm sure. She is doing something that she loves and gaining a little bit of independence at the same time. It will look great on her CV too.

KatyMac Sun 17-Feb-13 22:26:20

Yep that sounds about right

Maryz Sun 17-Feb-13 22:24:43

She is fine.

She's just wibbling.

So she has done what dd does - she has transferred all her wibbling to you, so you can do the staying awake all night while she sleeps like a baby grin.

KatyMac Sun 17-Feb-13 22:22:14

My Uncle says she is fine & I think she is asleep now

But it really isn't what I expected

Maryz Sun 17-Feb-13 22:10:10

Oh, bummer.

The thing is, she will manage - and the one thing I have learned about teenagers and phone calls is that they only call when they are miserable. They never call to say "actually I've calmed down a bit and I'm fine now" hmm.

I learned my lesson one night when dd rang me sounding as though it was the end of the world. She sobbed down the phone at me about something someone had said. I calmed her down, and said goodbye and she forgot to switch her phone off.

Within 30 seconds I could here her calling out to some other girl and laughing shock.

Whereas I was at home sobbing because I felt so worried about her.

Your dd will be fine tomorrow. Once she has done the journey once, and faced the new people, she will be fine.

((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))

KatyMac Sun 17-Feb-13 22:03:55

But poor DD isn't - I've had a phone call in tears; she is having Colly-wobbles about going in by herself tomorrow!!

<sigh>

But I'm OK (or I was until the call)

KatyMac Sun 17-Feb-13 18:16:31

Left her in London & on my way home

I think I'm OK now...

KatyMac Sat 16-Feb-13 21:56:55

All packed & ready to go

Thanks guys - sorry I'm such a pain

mumblechum1 Sat 16-Feb-13 17:37:24

grin at Maryz

Maryz Sat 16-Feb-13 17:32:57

No, I said that despite their best efforts, none of mine had managed to be mugged grin.

KatyMac Sat 16-Feb-13 17:30:29

I'll be fine by Monday (I hope)

But Mary you said....."mugged"

<gulp>

Maryz Sat 16-Feb-13 17:25:58

Now Katy [firm stare], I have been very tolerant and understanding so far [sigh] but I'm now going to put my foot down [stamp] and tell you to buck the fuck up [stern glare]

Otherwise I'm going to start laughing at you and you won't like that

eatyourveg Sat 16-Feb-13 17:23:30

Skype? Seeing her might reassure you

KatyMac Sat 16-Feb-13 17:10:34

Not feeling any better about this........

Maryz Sat 16-Feb-13 17:02:09

I always make sure they have a fiver and a couple of coins to hand over if mugged. None of them ever have been, by the way.

ds1 used to carry two phones so he could hand over an old broken one. But he was hanging out in very dodgy places with even more dodgy people.

KatyMac Sat 16-Feb-13 16:51:06

Good idea about splitting it

Maryz Sat 16-Feb-13 16:49:45

£10 a day is loads.

Make her split it - a tenner in her pocket, 20 in her handbag, 20 in her case/gearbag.

The only thing that could possibly go wrong is that she will simultaneously forget to get off at a stop and lose her phone.

In which case I'm sure she can (a) get on the next train back and (b) ask some suitably motherly person if she can borrow a phone.

She will be fine.

KatyMac Sat 16-Feb-13 16:47:21

Do you think £50 is enough - I thought £10 a day

Hopefully we will pay for her travel & I have provided the main bit of lunch everyday & puddings, so snacks and drinks

With £30 left with my uncle in case of emergencies

She will be fine, she will be fine

Maryz Sat 16-Feb-13 13:54:45

Your uncle is a grown man.

He doesn't have to cope. He just has to breathe in and out, while your dd behaves like an angel for him. Because you know that's what's going to happen smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now