I am a total wuss; I will not cope at all

(44 Posts)
KatyMac Sun 10-Feb-13 20:19:24

DD (15) is off to London for half-term to do a course

She has been poorly

She hasn't got her Oyster card but she can navigate the tube; she doesn't know her route yet but we will do it with her before she starts

She is staying with my uncle (who will spoil her)

She will be fine; I am panicking

I am officially a wuss

njaw Sun 10-Feb-13 20:28:04

You aren't a wuss, you are a mum who cares.

Remind yourself that your job is to give them roots and wings. She's off to fly which means you must have given her the confidence in everything that binds her home.

Startail Sun 10-Feb-13 20:31:12

Katy I'm glad she's feeling better.

She will be fine and I'm guessing she'll be dancing and therefore she'll be very happy.

KatyMac Sun 10-Feb-13 20:37:52

She will be dancing - so she will be fine

It's me I'm worried about

Thanks Njaw - that's lovely

flow4 Mon 11-Feb-13 08:14:48

Keep yourself very busy Katy - do nice, relaxing, enjoyable and/or personally-challenging things you wouldn't normally do if she was around. Then next time, you'll associate her going away with treats for you! grin

Theas18 Mon 11-Feb-13 08:31:59

Have a hug. IT's a biggie but she will cope and learn some useful skills on the way ( regardless of the course!). You will learn skills too- a little trial in how to adapt to having her a little further away from you, but she'll still be your chick and you'll both be happy to have her under your wing at the end of the week.

KatyMac Tue 12-Feb-13 07:30:11

It'll be fine, it'll be fine, it'll be fine

I keep telling myself......I might believe it one day (probably when she gets back)

Maryz Tue 12-Feb-13 10:10:31

Katy, think how far you have come with her in the last year or so. You may be a wuss, but you (and she) are doing fucking well!

Congratulations to both of you.

KatyMac Tue 12-Feb-13 16:47:45

Thank you - it seems so long ago now.....

I'm still worried tho'

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 12-Feb-13 16:51:06

My kids are adults. DS (20) lives a long way from me but I still worry about him. Not in a way that means I interfere but in a natural, loving way. I think it is our place to worry, worrying doesn't mean you are a 'wuss', it means you love her.

And yes, it WILL be fine.

KatyMac Tue 12-Feb-13 21:11:46

Oh dear - so I have years if it to come

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 12-Feb-13 21:16:19

It gets easier because their growing independence becomes your normality (and as a trade off you get to do things without having to plan around the children).

Maryz Tue 12-Feb-13 21:19:22

Oh, yes, many years smile. My mum still worries about me if I drive home from her house in the dark. And I'm 50, she is almost 80.

KatyMac Tue 12-Feb-13 22:23:23

Oh God, my mum is the same; that really doesn't bode well for my peace of mind in the future <slaps forehead>

KatyMac Fri 15-Feb-13 20:16:47

it's getting worse sad

Startail Fri 15-Feb-13 22:44:13

My mum is perfectly sensible, my DDad still wants ringing when I get back from their place.

I left home 27 years ago.

Maryz Fri 15-Feb-13 23:49:33

What's up [comforting].

She'll be fine, you know.

ds2 went off on a train to stay with a friend yesterday. He had to change trains in the middle of Dublin, and then get off at the right stop.

I texted him this afternoon to sarcastically say "I presume you got there ok yesterday". He was embarrassed enough to actually ring me and apologise.

He didn't know that I had already rung the mum to make sure he got there, but had to make her swear not to tell him I was checking up.

He is 14, has no health problems, and always falls on his feet - so I really sympathise.

KatyMac Sat 16-Feb-13 13:47:08

My mum just told me she is worried about my uncle as he might not cope

& DD is messing around with packing

Arrggghhh!!

OddBoots Sat 16-Feb-13 13:50:04

It'll be fine, from your posts she is a capable young woman. smile

Maryz Sat 16-Feb-13 13:54:45

Your uncle is a grown man.

He doesn't have to cope. He just has to breathe in and out, while your dd behaves like an angel for him. Because you know that's what's going to happen smile.

KatyMac Sat 16-Feb-13 16:47:21

Do you think £50 is enough - I thought £10 a day

Hopefully we will pay for her travel & I have provided the main bit of lunch everyday & puddings, so snacks and drinks

With £30 left with my uncle in case of emergencies

She will be fine, she will be fine

Maryz Sat 16-Feb-13 16:49:45

£10 a day is loads.

Make her split it - a tenner in her pocket, 20 in her handbag, 20 in her case/gearbag.

The only thing that could possibly go wrong is that she will simultaneously forget to get off at a stop and lose her phone.

In which case I'm sure she can (a) get on the next train back and (b) ask some suitably motherly person if she can borrow a phone.

She will be fine.

KatyMac Sat 16-Feb-13 16:51:06

Good idea about splitting it

Maryz Sat 16-Feb-13 17:02:09

I always make sure they have a fiver and a couple of coins to hand over if mugged. None of them ever have been, by the way.

ds1 used to carry two phones so he could hand over an old broken one. But he was hanging out in very dodgy places with even more dodgy people.

KatyMac Sat 16-Feb-13 17:10:34

Not feeling any better about this........

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now