Teens are normal people

(54 Posts)
Gee0908 Mon 14-Jan-13 00:52:41

I have a 15&16 yrs old teens, and they are enjoyable. Yours too can be enjoyable. I will give you more info if you interested in my secret.

cory Wed 30-Jan-13 19:04:10

I assume even the OP would see the absurdity in a thread headed All Adults Are Normal People or All Humans Are Normal People.

Even s/he would realise instantly that no, they are not: some are psychopaths, some are severely disturbed, some are mentally ill, some are quite simply deeply unpleasant.

So what does s/he think is different about teens? Are they not real people, but some kind of Build A Bear that you can stuff and dress into whatever character you want?

tattoosarenotallowed Wed 30-Jan-13 19:06:36

Cory that's a good point.

I have no wish to be normal, which to me equates to dull and boring. I'm quite happy with DD being fiesty, and opinionated, and too tall, and lazy at times, and beautiful, and untidy, and kind in ways that shock me. She is just HERSELF.

cory Wed 30-Jan-13 20:02:04

I would be happy if dd was normal in the sense of without mental health problems. I can even see that she could conceivably keep the same personality, the same essential her, just without the crippling anxiety and depression. In the same way as I don't think her personality would be spoiled in any way if her joint disorder could be cured.

But wishing for this isn't going to magically make it happen. The joint problems are genetically determined and there is good evidence to suggest that the same gene may be causing at least some of her mh issues.

Maryz Wed 30-Jan-13 20:31:39

Yes, I agree with that cory. I know ds would be different if he didn't have Asperger's, but I would put up with a little bit of difference if I could make him "normally" happy, iyswim.

Unfortunately we (and they) have to play the hand we are dealt.

Do you think she will improve joint-wise as she gets older? Because there is a lot of evidence the mh issues tend to even out when they grow out of the hormonal stage (though it can be later for kids with mh issues than for others), so hopefully a lot of the depression/anxiety will ease as she hits 18 or so - you just have to tread water until then hmm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now