locks on doors..

(44 Posts)
gabyjane Wed 02-Jan-13 08:29:30

Iv'e noticed on a few threads now that parents having locks on their doors is quite a common thing. I have spoke to my partner about this and we are going to do it as soon as we move.
We have had issues for a while now and dd thinks because i take something off her it gives her a right to go rooting through my bedroom and take what she wants. I took her straightners as she keeps leaving them switched on at times on the carpet and has no care that she may burn the house down or damage a carpet that ide have to replace. We rent so have explained she needs to try a bit harder, At first i got quite cross about it and it was a bit of a battle, now however i take her stuff and if i find things of mine in her room i simply take them out and dont say a word..is this the right thing to do?

Another reason to do it is to put some other bits on. She takes ALL my phone chargers. think most end up down at her dads which annoys me as i never see them again. Our home phones have to be hidden as she runs huge bills up. Keys for certain things..list goes on! I find my days quite tiresome at times looking for my own stuff and know if it was all in our room ide at least know where it was! yesterday i hunted around for ages looking for the phone to call someone and find it annoying.

Maryz Fri 11-Jan-13 20:24:04

So you haven't got a single positive alternative to locks, laughing?

And thanks for your complete lack of sympathy, by the way. "I feel for you but..." followed by "I don't think so".

You are condemning me. Thanks.

And for what it's worth, the lock stopped him sticking a knife into me, and stopped him destroying absolutely everything I value. Which now that he has grown out of some of his behaviour he is probably also glad of.

And locks on the bedroom doors stopped his "friends" getting into my teenage dd's room when she was asleep. Was that also unnecessary?

Would it have been better for me to throw him out onto the street and not let him in the house at all? Because that was my only alternative. And if I had done that he would more than likely be dead.

laughinglikeadrain Fri 11-Jan-13 20:32:02

Just as my point of view offends you yours does to me.

I don't have answers,but then I don't have those problems either.

I never intended to be unsupportive, but how on earth can I support something I disagree with.

There must be alternatives.... When we did our fostering course we were told that we weren't allowed to use locks like this.

So I don't understand the double standards there either.....

Once again. I don't agree with locks on internal doors. There must be a better way.

flow4 Fri 11-Jan-13 20:57:16

Well, when you think of it laughing, let us know. hmm

crkm Fri 11-Jan-13 21:20:47

I have just put a lock on my bedroom door as dd (19!!) keeps helping herself to my things - and her siblings money boxes, which i hid in a drawer in my room - . she hasnt mentioned the lock - and now everything is where i left it!

cory Fri 11-Jan-13 21:22:02

Aha, what about physical restraint, then, laughing? Was that me taking control or was it just my muscles? Should I just have let dd beat us up?

Of course, there are often other things that can and should be done- such as counselling, mental health investigations, perhaps even medication. But those things *take a long time*: there is a long waiting list, it takes a long time to find the right treatment, and even when the right treatment has been found (if it can be) it takes a long time for it to work.

In the meantime you still have the responsibility to keep life and (even to some extent) property safe- you can't put that on a waiting list.

As a foster carer, you can ask to have a child passed onto another carer if the placement doesn't work our or isn't safe for the other children already present. Harder with your own child.

This board also contains numerous parents of children with severe SN who have to use locks because their children have no sense of danger and would be likely to put themselves in danger if access to dangerous parts of the house was not denied. They often have very erratic sleeping patterns, so to keep them safe the parent would literally never be able to sleep.

Maryz Fri 11-Jan-13 22:51:08

I'm sure there must be a better way. Why not find out and tell us?

If you had a foster child who attacked you (or a younger child) with a knife what would you do?

If you had a child in your house who continually went into your bedroom and took all your belongings - your clothes, your money, your credit cards, your passport - and used, sold or destroyed them, what would you do?

Oh, I know hmm. Yours is a foster child. You would move him or her on to another house. And probably blame the parents for bringing him or her up to behave like this.

Whereas when I rang ss for help with my child, I was told to put up and shut up. The only alternative was to take my younger children into care for their own safety, or to offer ds a place in an adult homeless hostel full of addicts.

A lock on the door was a massive help to contain behaviour, to keep me safe, to enable us to mark time as a family until things improved, which thankfully they have.

I must say, I avoid most threads like this as I fail to understand how someone with no experience of a certain type of behaviour can simply rock up and say "you are all doing it wrong; I have no idea how you could do it right, but I'm 100% certain you are wrong".

I find it offensive, tbh, as well as absolutely baffling.

When I don't have solutions to people's problems, I tend to either stay quiet or be supportive, not condemning of their attempts at solutions.

laughinglikeadrain Sat 12-Jan-13 08:44:19

i wasnt offering solutions, i never claimed to. my post was merely to show another side of the issue.

you are all entitled to your opionion, and your expereinces. it affects the way you parent.
i am entitled to my experience and my opinon it. it affects the way i parent.

flow4 Sat 12-Jan-13 09:20:53

Yes of course. But you went further than that, and came here to tell gaby she was wrong, and made a few comments that were judgemental and frankly unkind.

You were clearly badly affected by being locked out of your parents' bedroom when you were 'tiny'. Of course it is colouring your perspective. But before you criticise gaby, you need to understand that locking a door to keep a thieving teen away from money and personal possessions is not the same as locking a tiny child away from mummy and daddy.

You obviously don't need solutions, because you are not in this situation. But those of us who are or have been, do need solutions. And in this situation, we know from experience, putting a lock on a door is a practical solution to horrible situation.

NettoHoHoHoSuperstar Sat 12-Jan-13 09:27:58

I have a thieving 11yr old, it's been going on for years, I'm still trying to get help and get to the bottom of it.
I've just moved, and will probably fit a lock to my door in the next few days.
I'll also be taking DD's door off it's hinges.
She either can't or won't behave, I'm open to can't, and want to help her, but in the meantime the stealing and ruining of her room needs to stop.

She won't be locked away from me, my door will be locked from the outside, so never when I'm in there.

laughinglikeadrain Sat 12-Jan-13 12:47:34

no i didnt tell her she was wrong... i expressed an opinion

flow it seems to me like you are looking for a fight....... I've stated my opionion and it is a valid opinion based on experience, the same as your opinion to fit locks is based on your experience.

laughinglikeadrain Sat 12-Jan-13 12:52:40

oh... and for the record... the locks on my parents doors DIDNT prevent my elder sibling stealing. it just intensified her rage.

her problems were NOT solved by a lock on a door.
SHe went on to have a kid at 16, followed by 7 more kids, never had a job in her life. Her eldest 3 boys have spent lots of time in Jail for various things and two of her daughters also got pregnant while still in thier teens.

No i'm not stertyping here. This is my sister, my experience and is just as valid as anyone elses.

A lock didnt solve ( and didnt cause) any of these problems... she is a problem child.

izzyishappilybusy Sat 12-Jan-13 12:57:23

I wouldn't allow locks because I thought it was wrong and I could find better ways to deal with things.

Turns out one sibling was abusing another - oh how I wish I had allowed that lock now.

zamantha Sat 12-Jan-13 14:43:25

We all have locks on our bedroom doors for privacy reasons - has been a godsend for my husband and I for private moments.

We can unlock our DCs doors if we need to but their locks tell us they want some private, quiet time.

If sadly, as posted here, teens start to steal, you need to manage that and a lock seems sensible - certainly not from young children but rebellious teens have to be stopped from stealing, parents must take charge of that and they must see action has been taken.

I was desperately sad to hear of a boy setting fire to childhood mementoes - some teens get dark angst and clearly need a lot of tender, loving , understanding as well as boundaries. We for example have to take our DS1 's phone at nights so he doesn't watch videos until late - can cause a stink, has to be done. Even at 16 bedtime for school is sacrosanct. There have to be some rules for teens - locls don't affect my kids, happy , well adjusted, well bejaved - usually wink.

put locks on - won't harm them and sends a message - also lots of compassion as to why they want to take what is not theres - some emotional turmoil going on I imagine.

gabyjane Sat 12-Jan-13 17:21:48

Thanks for the replies. I never wanted to start a fight! Well i still think we need to get the lock fitted on our door and thats' that. I appreciate some agree and some dont and thats fine. Over the last couple of days dd's been really hard work again. My partner left some money in a pot of his and it's gone, shes said it wasnt her but no one else can get to it so? She also told me only this morning that if i dared touch any of her stuff again she would take mine away and ide never saee it again so? like i said constantly looking for things, wondering where stuff has gone and its not fair.

flow4 Sat 12-Jan-13 18:17:07

Yup, get a lock fitted gaby. It'll cost about £40, and save you that amount or more very quickly. It'll also save you a lot of angst - and your DDwill probably be relieved you've stopped her from this particular bit of bad behaviour.

emmac52000 Sat 12-Jan-13 18:57:06

I remember I was a naughty teen. Stealing stuff etc. taking away the temptation and the constant rows etc relaxed everything. Mum put in a lock to their room and spare room which had pc. Much better relationship now. 31 and have no children and am not a psychopath. You have to do what works!!

lemonstartree Tue 22-Jan-13 17:17:23

laughing I hope you never are faced with the situation where you HAVE to find an alternative to the 'lock'

Don't judge me, or Maryz or Flow4 or Gaby till you have walked a mile in our shoes.

A thieving child/teenager destroys trust and wrecks families - as described above. I couldn't agree more that a lock is by far the least worst option.

The lock on our bedroom door is used when we are OUT. If we are IN the bedroom (eg at night) the door is open for the younger sibs to come in if they want to.

singledadof2 Wed 05-Mar-14 09:59:00

Sorry to re-animate this thread but It was one I wanted to comment on and the only one I could find on the subject matter at short notice.
I've been putting off fixing a lock to my bedroom door for a couple of years now but I've finally given up all hope of my 16yr old dd ever keeping her thieving hands off my girlfriend clothing/underwear and other stuff.

2 years ago my girlfriends sex toys went missing even though they were well hidden and they turned up in my dd's bed side drawers.( They went in the bin).
Since then despite sitting down and talking under wear has periodically gone missing and turned up in dd's room.
She treats my bedroom as her very own free boutique and won't have any of it when confronted. The usual excuse is it's her cousins stuff and not her fault it's the same as my girlfriends.
I hope the original poster followed through with her fixing a lock and maybe she could update us on how things went after she first did so with her daughter.
I'm about to install mine today and envisage a huge argument over it.

Claybury Wed 05-Mar-14 14:19:59

My DC's never go in my room, my clothes are not worth it. However it would drive me CRAZY if my stuff went missing, even small things like tweezers missing out of the bathroom drive me nuts. I would have no hesitation in fitting locks on my bedroom if it gave me peace of mind. You are entitled to some privacy ! After all, you don't have to use a lock once it's on if you don't feel the need, but at least it's there. I have on occasions hidden my wallet to remove temptation from DS, because it's easier than wondering if cash has gone and getting stressed.
It's helping the teen to resist temptation and removing stress from the home which is only good.
A lock on your bedroom door is a very small deal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now