Ungrateful daughter tweeted her "crap" christmas presents

(75 Posts)
Fatcontroller1 Wed 26-Dec-12 21:31:26

Anyone else had an ungrateful outburst from dd?

I'm not sure what I'd do, but certainly something. It's a great opportunity to show her that when you post something on the Internet anyone can read it and there might be negative consequences.

Important life lesson!

BluelightsAndSirens Sat 29-Dec-12 16:36:07

Were they crap presents?

BendyBobsBrusselsSprouts Sat 29-Dec-12 16:36:13

Also confirming this isn't what happens. My dd is 14 and nothing, absolutely nothing like that.

MrsDeVere Sat 29-Dec-12 16:36:20

No it doesn't always happen. DD wasn't like that.
Some kids are like that, some are like that for a little while whilst they learn not 'to be like that'.
Some are like that from a young age.

Children have personality traits.

InNeedOfBrandy Sat 29-Dec-12 16:39:33

I was disappointed with my Christmas presents off my nan tbh, she completely forgot to buy me one apart from the scarf I picked out of the charity shop to give to me and a key ring of kids in their gymnastic clothes. She bought my brother and cousin £40 odd Xbox game each and my sister got a steam iron, we had said before that she was going to get me a purse but before Christmas she said she had already got me mine and it was a surprise. She properly hyped it up where I thought oo something really good an it turned out my charity shop scarf was in her head my main present.

Even though on here it sounds totally spoilt of me to be disappointed I would never let her know I was disappointed.

MrsDeVere Sat 29-Dec-12 16:45:49

I was disappointed with the 'hair removal system' that my OH bought me. I am practically hairless, being the palest person on the planet.

But I liked the Clarins stuff he got me. I just wish he wouldn't try and branch out. I suspect he bought it because it was all pink and stuff.
Bless.

RailRoaded Sat 29-Dec-12 16:48:50

I remember being a tom boyish 12 and getting a doll from my nan and a polyester under skirt slip from my great aunt. I think if twitter had been around then I might have been tempted.

pookamoo Sat 29-Dec-12 16:49:39

If you are feeling really, really angry, there's always this as an option! wink

GoodKingWenSOLOslas Sat 29-Dec-12 16:58:11

My 14 year old Ds was much the same; ungrateful, upset etc. I had been warning both Dc's that there would be very little this year and ensuring they really knew and understood it. Dd was fine (she's much younger), but Ds was a sulky little sod. Doesn't 'like' the toiletries (Ted Baker and Fat Face (?)) only got two sets of books and a single book and a onesie and a second hand laptop (how dare I?!). He asked for money from the few relatives that do give gifts, so he got a further £60 from them and £10 from me (because he made me feel so crap).

He has suddenly realised though, that he is now in the final few years where he will get quite a few gifts for Christmas. He realises that at 18 you are an adult and you get one gift from Mum. I think it hit home when I asked him how many gifts I got...

For the first time ever, Ds used money he'd earned and bought me and Dd gifts, which was lovely smile (Rod Stewart CD's).

I hope that Ds has not publicly embarrassed me (will check his fb). I hope that he starts to understand the real value of what he gets, but teenagers are horrid creatures a lot of the time and I do think it's because they get far too much and it becomes a competition for them and for their parents to get and give as much as possible. How sad is that.

InNeedOfBrandy Sat 29-Dec-12 17:46:04

My mum said this year was the last big Christmas, she didn't stop at 18 (lovely lovely lovely) she bought me the most wonderful coat from top shop and perfume and socks and gloves and a throw for my sofa another scarf (I like scarfs) some pot purri however you spell it and bought my dc loads and loads and loads. She always spoils us at Christmas and we always have a good haul of stuff. I realise in very lucky with a mum who goes all out on Christmas though and we all do spoil her back.

MaryChristmaZEverybody Sat 29-Dec-12 18:19:39

I forgot to buy my 14 year old a main present.

I did get him lots of little santa stocking presents, but entirely forgot to get him something big, I have no idea how.

He was very nice about it grin

flow4 Sat 29-Dec-12 19:12:59

Oh Mary! grin grin

My DS2's present didn't arrive until Christmas Eve, which was so uncomfortably close that I had spoken to him about how he'd feel if he didn't get it until after The Big Day...

And I deliberately failed to buy DS1 a birthday present this year because I thought he'd sell it to buy drugs so buying him a prezzie this Christmas and believing it was safe felt pretty good smile

crypes Sat 29-Dec-12 19:23:00

When I was ayoung teenager I told my friends my parents didnt celebrate Christmas because I was so ashamed of the one bottle of bubble bath and hotwater bottle they would only buy me. My friends had clothes and jewellery and handbags etc.

MaryChristmaZEverybody Sat 29-Dec-12 19:32:53

I went to get him a guitar case, but they didn't have one to fit his guitar, so I was going to buy him something else but forgot blush.

I always give mine bags of crap (pj's, toiletries, books, edibles), and luckily had given ds1 CoD, so ds2's been happily playing that.

flow, I managed to stop my parents giving ds1 any money this year - so all the grandchildren got a tenner instead of the usual 50. They were not impressed. Oh dear. They did get presents instead though, and I was most impressed that all my children were grateful and polite, whereas their cousins were more obviously hmm.

crypes, that's terrible sad

flow4 Sun 30-Dec-12 06:36:50

You just reminded me DS2 needs a guitar case... He's borrowed a guitar to start to learn on but it has no case... Actually, he probably needs a guitar of his own, too... Birthday coming up...

I'm glad we have no family habit of giving cash... Mind you, other presents just got sold... For a while... Fingers crossed that has stopped now.

mrsjay Mon 31-Dec-12 08:53:21

my dd put on facebook last night that her new laptop is stupid and windows 8 is a PITA and she was going to throw it against the wall if she couldn't get it to work properly, now she was probably just annoyed she couldn't do something but it wasn't a cheap laptop she got it for college I felt really sad at her moaning about it ,

mathanxiety Tue 01-Jan-13 06:58:03

Sorry, dailymail here but how abut this as a response?

I stopped giving exH anything he could lose or break and anything that cost more than a token amount of money really. Too many things lost, left on trains, ruined when he washed them. I knew when I started thinking he was doing it on purpose it was time to give him chocolates.

Fatcontroller1 Tue 01-Jan-13 08:32:39

I like that idea!

Fatcontroller1 Tue 01-Jan-13 08:34:16

No but did not include PS3 or iPhone5!

Fatcontroller1 Tue 01-Jan-13 08:38:19

I have seen that! Fantastic! I was tempted to tweet under her name the list of all presents and cash she did get ....but felt it would be wrong.

LovesBeingAtHomeForChristmas Tue 01-Jan-13 08:39:46

Reply saying you have removed al the offensive gifts and sent them to a children's charity.

Fatcontroller1 Tue 01-Jan-13 08:41:48

Thank you all for your responses: DD is quite repentant and feels awful. Was overcome by envy as everyone else was FBing their presents and she had nothing of bragging value it seems.

Fatcontroller1 Tue 01-Jan-13 08:43:01

Yes - there have been consequences and you are right - a life lesson hopefully learnt.

mrsjay Tue 01-Jan-13 09:27:54

there have been consequences and you are right - a life lesson hopefully learnt.

you know sometimes teens think the grass is always greener hmm they cant help themselves dd had a huge arguement about bloody windows 8 i said well you can take it back to the shop and get a refund blah bla blush

chocoluvva Tue 08-Jan-13 14:00:50

Maybe she didn't REALLY mean it. Teenage girls tend to be over-dramatic. And they don't think of the consequences of their actions.

I would let her know you've seen the tweet and briskly and matter-of-factly point out consequences of posting rude comments on the internet. Don't make a big deal of it but do mention that you don't feel disposed to be generous to her at the moment.

Once, my then 15YO DD was complaining so much to me while I was driving her to a shop just to buy things she 'urgently' needed that I made her get out of the car and walk home. Afterwards I explained that there's only so much even a mum will put up with before she just doesn't feel like being kind and nice to her DD. DD usually says thankyou for lifts now. I think flow4's advice about witholding the next tenner is good.

IME 14 is a gruesome stage.

(Though 15 was even worse..... grin but so far 16 is better - only 3 months in though!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now