Ask a Teenage Girl anything

(133 Posts)
HipsterTeen Sun 02-Dec-12 16:53:35

Hey guys, I'm a fairly average teenage girl. If you want a teenagers view on something then feel free to ask. Sometimes its better to get a teenagers point if view on something to see what its like for them. So feel free to ask.

ladybugged Thu 17-Jan-13 16:15:41

My dd is a massive duck facer! Talking of pics - which they are all obsessed by taking,of themselves obvs - what about this charming new thing ( or maybe its not that new - I dunno!) of sending text pics to boys of bits of thier bodies they dont normally show? Tits mainly! Its most disturbing. I think boys do it too - if theyre phit(sic) of the torso or I have heard they are quite fond of sharing pics of thier willies. I'm alarmed as Im talking about 13 year olds here! Its pretty common / popular isnt it? Is it called sexting?

sleepymum50 Tue 04-Dec-12 11:09:25

Hi, hipster teen, may I ask how old you are?

I have a (just) 16 year old DD who goes to an all girls school. She's pretty normal, loves make up, clothes, facebooketc. Hasn't got a boyfriend yet. Has done some supervised drinking ( and probably some secret drinking too)

She seems a sensible girl, and I'm pretty sure her head is screwed on well. But what in this day and age do I need to know about, and is there any thing I should be warning her about. By this I mean drugs, sex etc.

In my day, nice girls wouldn't shag a boy they had just met. The shame of being called a slag would outweigh that, and perhaps you'd go heavy petting and missionary position after some time. So should I worry that standards have changed so much - whats the norm these days?

musicposy Tue 04-Dec-12 09:21:07

Oh, and HipsterTeen, do you actually find teen boys who look as though they are staring through a windblown hedge attractive?

I was on the train the other day and this teen boy sat down. I had trouble not laughing. I could barely see his face as his very big hair was swept entirely over to the front and side. Bed hair gone ridiculous.

If I think DD1 looks absurd with her combover, I just need to look at the teenage boys she hangs out with. My fingers itch to grab a comb for all of them grin

CheerfulYank Tue 04-Dec-12 08:03:55

Oh, and we all occasionally got frostnip, which is like frostbite but not so bad.

CheerfulYank Tue 04-Dec-12 08:02:12

No, because if you're going to be out long you MUST cover up. But I remember whipping off my coat and hat as soon as possible and only wearing them when absolutely necessary.

And I remember the neighbor boy getting quite bad frostbite on his ear. And I had hypothermia, twice actually. So yeah, wear a coat! grin

flow4 Tue 04-Dec-12 06:50:23

Wow. Minus 40?! Is that much cold even possible?! Don't your fingers and toes drop off or something?!

CheerfulYank Tue 04-Dec-12 05:50:50

I remember hating coats and hats! I live in fecking Minnesota.

It was -40. hmm

Of course I am 30 now so very old and sensible indeed. grin

FellatioBellsOn Tue 04-Dec-12 05:43:00

of course I meant side parting, not middle. confused

VivaLeBeaver Mon 03-Dec-12 21:57:38

Combovers are terrible and so unflattering. I want to grab random teenagers and sort their hair out. My pre teen still has an untrendy middle parting!

musicposy Mon 03-Dec-12 21:55:56

And why do you all start your middle partings immediately above one ear? Don't you realise it looks silly?

FellatioNelson grin

I keep asking my DD why she has a combover. She says it's not a combover but a side parting (which seems to get nearer her ear each month!). I told her that when she is my age her children will shriek with laughter at the photos.

Hipster teen, do you have a combover? And if so do you realise you are just creating hysterical photos for the next generation?

flow4 Mon 03-Dec-12 20:02:10

Thank you Roffle. smile I have just reported myself btw... I think I should take up knitting or yoga or something... These evenings do seem to stre-e-e-e-e-etch sometimes!

RoffleCopter Mon 03-Dec-12 19:58:36

Trolls are banned on all of MN, flow

flow4 Mon 03-Dec-12 19:52:25

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

HipsterTteen Mon 03-Dec-12 18:59:21

Sorry what did you ask?

I have been ignored by Hipster sad

My street cred is shot.

BeataNoxPotter Mon 03-Dec-12 18:44:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HipsterTteen Mon 03-Dec-12 18:41:00

erm...Thank you

BeataNoxPotter Mon 03-Dec-12 18:40:01

RoffleCopter Mon 03-Dec-12 18:36:19

Your password didn't work? How curious

eyeroll

HipsterTteen Mon 03-Dec-12 16:48:55

My password didn't work for some reason so I had to start a new account and obviously HipsterTeen was already taken

BeataNoxPotter Mon 03-Dec-12 16:45:23

HipsterTteen Mon 03-Dec-12 16:40:51

TessGoesDirectToBethlehem Thank you. Is that a good thing? I find acting mature earns you more adult respect and less tutting and eye rolling.

Marriedinwhite I guess its because we kind of thing we are responsible enough to do things on our own and we don't like being told to do thing. Sometimes we just can't be bothered. We're very lazy people.

ohcluttergotme Oh I know plenty of girls who are like this. It’ll change when they realise how ridiculous they look. Some girls aren’t really interested in boys at the moment because boy our age are really immature.

FellatioNelson Haha, no I’m a virgin :3 and I agree with you it does look stupid

flow4 I have a group of friend mainly girls but a few boys. The boys can get very ‘friendly’ they try and your bum and grope you but normally they get a slap. A few people I know get very friendly but usually only if they are in a relationship

GreatUncleEddie Thank you smile It takes them hours it really does but hair needs to look perfect. And I think curly hair is nice but straight hair is in fashion for a moment. I have a friend who had very naturally curly hair but she straightened it and now its all dry and broken.

flow4 Mon 03-Dec-12 09:53:54

Empress and RedZ, I realise I'm not a 'hipster' teenager, but I think I know the answer... grin I went to a certain 'trendy' school 30-35 years ago where there was no school uniform, the number of holes in a girl's clothes was directly proportionate to her family's income (more holes=more money) and carrier bags were all the rage... It's a Double-bluff Conspicuous Consumption thing: "I'm so cool, I don't even have to try... (But if my scruffy carrier bag is a designer brand I can signal my coolness TWICE)"! grin

EmpressOfTheNorthPole Mon 03-Dec-12 09:42:25

Hi Hipster. I'm still not entirely clear why you decided to come on but I'd like an answer to the same question as RedZombie. Why DOES DD insist on taking her stuff to school in a tatty carrier? Especially when she has a perfectly good Twilight rucksack which she chose herself?

TheOriginalSteamingNit Mon 03-Dec-12 09:27:51

I didn't realise any of them self-identified as hipsters - I thought it was a perjorative term! My dds explained it that if you call things 'mainstream' you are usually a hipster, and are actually mainstream yourself. And you like moustaches.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now