Car Insurance for teenage boys - any advice?

(34 Posts)
fortyplus Wed 28-Nov-12 23:43:52

My son is nearly 19 and passed his test about 18 months ago. He's lucky enough to be able to drive my husband's company car so costs us nothing provided he doesn't have an accident.

He has just bought a 1.2 Fiesta from a relative for next to nothing. It's W reg which is 12 years old. He's got a temporary job lined up for about 3 weeks which he had hoped would fund his insurance. He'll be starting work at 6am so it would be handy if he could get insured beforehand.

He's been looking online for quotes and the cheapest he's found is about £2500.

Does anyone have any top tips for getting the cost down?

Thanks smile

We went with Admiral . My son is 19 and got his first car ( an ancient pug 106) last month.
Online the quote was 1600 but when I rang they suggested a multi car policy..and it brought his down to 1100 and decreased mine and dh's too! No fronting and they are adding my car and dh's as our old policies end. I have been very happy with it. Ds1 is paying me monthly by standing order as I took out a new ( no interest for 16 months) credit card to pay it up front.

HappyJoyful Fri 30-Nov-12 01:53:02

get the tracking box..saved a friend nearly five hundred quid.. sorry not being reading fully(late night insomnia induced MNing!)
Anyways, yes box - there's been threads on here recently about it but think it way forward

lljkk Fri 30-Nov-12 07:30:22

doesn't the price depend a lot on age, too? I thought 19 was cheaper than 18 cheaper than 17 to insure.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Fri 30-Nov-12 07:40:18

Definitely consider cancelling and replacing in December whatever you do (if you tell your insurer at the time that you're about to do that then they may be prepared to haggle).

Maslotte Fri 30-Nov-12 21:55:52

My son, who was 18 in Nov & passed his test a few days before, has just bought his first car today. It's a 53 plate 1.2 Corsa and he's insured it with himself as the main driver (as he is the registered owner of the car and so he builds up his own NCB) and myself and my husband as additional drivers. He's gone with CoOp Young Drivers as a few of his friends recommended them.....they fit a "Smartbox" to the car which monitors the driving, your insurance is reviewed after 3 months and can go down if your driving has been good. Note tho, they do warn it could also go up if the driving is bad. I think it works on some sort of point system, all explained on the website.
The quote was for about £1700, and as I said it is reviewed quarterly.

I used to work in insurance and even things like your postcode area, job title, where the vehicle is parked overnight, mileage, things you would class as small points can make a difference to a quote.

Hope that helps a little smile

fortyplus Sat 01-Dec-12 01:17:57

Horsemad yes he's done passplus. Funnily enough it seems that more expensive premiums are charged for old cars!! The rationale is that a newer car will be driven more carefully.

Horsemad Sat 01-Dec-12 15:55:11

Probably by the time they've paid the enormous premium they can't actually afford to drive it, so the risk lessens immensely! grin

fortyplus Sat 01-Dec-12 23:37:51

Well... I took the car down for 2 new tyres and an exhaust system today. Turns out it's a Zetec model so really nippy - alloy wheels/low profile tyres etc. So I suppose hardly surprising that the premium is rather high. Cheapest we've found is £2k so he's sent off a SORN and will wait a month, by which time he will have had a birthday and the new rules re: not discriminating against boys will be in force. And hopefully he'll have found himself a better job!

Thank you for all your help smile

HRHLadyG Mon 04-Mar-13 14:53:41

Probably too late ! Black Box AND put yourself and/husband on his ploicy as named drivers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now