If your 16+ teen has a job as well as a levels what do they do?

(40 Posts)
Theas18 Sun 18-Nov-12 16:42:19

And how much do they earn?

Ds would really like to earn a bit of money. He has tried to utilise his skills- but has failed due to terrible performance anxiety. ( see other posts!) . Had he succeeded he'd have earned 20-25 quid maybe a coupe of times a month for a Sunday morning work.

What do other teens studying a pretty academic A evel commitment manage to do and hoe I'd they manage to get these coveted under 18 jobs?

Theas18 Fri 23-Nov-12 09:19:29

Teaching/tutoring is an interesting option. He's working with yr7 as a " chemistry guru" Within school so has a little experience of younger kids. He's also CRB checked via his voluntary work (I know it means zilch but parents would like it) .

So far I've had a hellish week re work and I've got him a cleaning schedule for tonight as he has 2x free lessons at the end of the day so a " long evening" available. I'll pay him and if it's good cleaning it'll be really helpful (if it isn't he can have anothe go!)

Will care homes pay an untrained un qualified nearly 17yr old? If so that's a really amazing thought...apart from a few £ it'll look really positive for uni applications.

bruffin Sat 24-Nov-12 23:48:23

Ds has worked since year 11. He is a September baby.
Last autumn worked for Comet, then qualified as a lifeguard and has been working on a casual basis at local sports centre and also 2 hours a week at a school pool that has been privately been hired.

mumblechum1 Sat 24-Nov-12 23:50:17

DS is in the Army Reserves. Average earnings about £120 a month, but often more if he's on 48 hour exercises. He's doing A2s at the moment.

bruffin Sat 24-Nov-12 23:53:06

Ds earns £12 for his 2hr shift and £40 - £50 a session at the sports centre.

Where do your teens find these jobs? We live in a small rural community & its now that the economic impact of that is kicking in for us.

Employment is pretty scarce round here & even the supermarkets find that "shelf-stacking" jobs are in big demand by adults wanting FT work but juggling 3 PT jobs to make ends meet. We keepchecking online.

There are NO Saturday jobs everyone is cutting back & although I'm happy to taxiher in & out of town obviously that costs as its a 25 mile round trip twice a day. There are buses but they are unreliable & often at the wrong times to fit in with shift work. She does babysit but no one is going out much at present!

Its demoralising enough being an unemployed adult without a broke teen in the house! grin

Still its coming up towards Christmas party time so we're hoping we can all pick up some more babysitting.

bruffin Sun 25-Nov-12 21:05:49

Ds heard Comet were recruiting, so he applied on the Internet. That was Xmas last year.
We also knew that the leisure centre looses a lot of their casual staff to university every year, so ds took his nplq October half term after he was 16 and put in his cv straight away. They recruit 6 or so staff that time every year.
His school lifeguard job, was word of mouth. The old lifeguard was off to uni, so put out the word that there was a job going. Friends of ds heard about it and recommended ds.

lunchbox Sun 25-Nov-12 22:32:53

I don't have a teen, but I employ 2 16 yr old girls. They work in my coffee shop on alternate Saturdays, 10-5, I pay them £6.50 per hr, which I'm told is really good for a 16 yr old, but I figure they're doing the same work as the full time mon-fri staff so should be paid the same.

BettySuarez Sun 25-Nov-12 22:40:04

DD doing 4 hardcore A Levels.

Has just started doing 6 hours a week at ASDA and hourly rate is £6.74 which I didn't think was too bad.

She just applied for anything she could see online smile

ASDA are a big employer round here too Betty but the jobs get snapped up. When a new branch opened recently they had thousands of applicants & ended up having a jobsfair type evening to process everybody!

A youngster we spoke to who works there on a Saturdya said he'd been trying for a year before he got one. sad

Hey-ho she's 18 in January & has now passed her driving test so that might open up an opportunity for her!

BettySuarez Mon 26-Nov-12 19:34:50

It's so disheartening bossy

My other daughter worked part time at Pizza Hut and was treated terribly. She would turn up for her shift and if it was quiet they wouldn't let her clock in. She was made to wait to see if it picked up again and only then would they let her clock in and start getting paid angry

Milliways Mon 26-Nov-12 19:45:34

DS managed to start his job before his 16th birthday (an oversight by the company as he is an August birthday and they just assumed he was 16 even though DOB was on his CV)

Between him and his friends they work in Supermarkets (Waitrose is popular), Sports shops, John Lewis (pay >£9/hour on a Sunday!), Tutors etc. Some do well as sports referees at weekends.

I work in a GP surgery and we have lots of students working after school, and then they can also have Saturday jobs.

bruffin Mon 26-Nov-12 19:52:56

Ds gf works in John Lewis, her parents get a partners card. Big discounts on shopping including waitrose.

gotateen Sun 02-Dec-12 22:09:55

What about an apprenticeship type of program where a teen can get into a company they are interested in working at for the long term, at the ground level? Sometimes these work-study programs are offered at the college/university level (co-op) and some high school guidance counsellors may know about high school age programs. At least that way the teen is working in a field they may enjoy and gain valuable experience while getting subsidized pay, so the potential employer is happy as well.

Worley Sun 02-Dec-12 22:25:11

Betty - I used to work in a nightclub like that.. we had to turn up at 9 and wouldn't be allowed behind bar to work until it got busy!! I can't believe they got away with that really!! but i loved it though. Got me through my alevels though. I cleaned the bar and nightclub on a Friday and Saturday morning too. it was so easy back then smile

Mine has a You Tube partnership and last month earned £300 through advertising and he doesnt leave his bedroom. So impressed with him. Although I would love him to have more of a social life!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now