Did anyone else get taken in by the promise of a barbeque summer?

(9 Posts)
Dorothyredboots Wed 16-Sep-09 10:08:40

I bought three dresses and matching cardis which I have only worn a couple of times, a pair of cropped trousers and some casual linen trousers. A pair of wedge sandals and so on...

Just starting to pack it all away now, mostly unworn..Why do I bother??

macherie Wed 16-Sep-09 10:16:40

I have a fabulous wardrobe of barely warn pretty summer dresses. I did wear some of them this year, but layered with long sleeve tops and cardigans, not really the look I was hoping for this summer.

Every sping I have that niave optimism that this summer will be different, full of picnics and garden parties, and that I will get lots of wear from all the pretty dresses tempting me in the shops. Dream on....

claricebeansmum Wed 16-Sep-09 10:19:42

Oh yes. I too am contemplating putting away hardly worn summer dresses.

Am quite cross.

pleasechange Wed 16-Sep-09 10:56:01

Me too - I have loads of lovely summer stuff but no actual practical British weather stuff! Don't know why I've not learnt by now

bigchris Wed 16-Sep-09 10:57:16

can't you wear them with tights and boots with a long sleeved top underneath?

TheBalladofGayTony Wed 16-Sep-09 11:00:19

wear them next year

tulpe Wed 16-Sep-09 15:01:48

Agree with Big Chris. Glamour magazine this month had an article on how to make your wardrobe work harder for you and not have to spend a fortune. One of the suggestions was wearing floaty summer dresses with tights/leggings and layering with long sleeve tees etc.

As for cropped trousers, have you considered wearing them with boots (not white crops obviously). I really wanted some red skinnies for the winter but have decided to wear my red skinny crops with boots instead to save money

Dorothyredboots Thu 17-Sep-09 09:56:04

I understand where you are all coming from with the layering thing. However two of the dresses are Boden floral jobbies with a white background - I would feel odd in them with boots and my office is freezing...Also I'm 53 and have to be a bit careful...the dress and leggings thing is a bit risky..I can't look at anyone wearing crops with boots without thinking 'Principal boy' in a Panto! Sorry. I favour a more tailored look and so the layering thing is a bit tricky.I work in a solicitors so dress code is quite formal and I wear a jacket and skirt in Winter.
I just kick myself as at my age I should know better!

seeker Thu 17-Sep-09 09:58:14

We had a "barbecue summer" here in Kent!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now