Remember I was looking for a ceramic hot-brush..found a good one!

(14 Posts)
BeJayKayven Wed 10-Aug-16 15:41:57

I made a thread a while back about this. I have GHDs which straighten the hell out my hair and I needed something as quick and easy but not quite so harsh/bullying iykwim.
So I got these and fully expected them to be shit, but they're really good!

EmpressTomatoKetchup Wed 10-Aug-16 18:39:18

Ohh I think I posted in that thread. I would like some too. What type of hair do you have OP?

BeJayKayven Wed 10-Aug-16 19:11:03

Thickish hair, long layers with a fringe. Its annoyingly kinky, neither straight or curly. By slowly turning this straightener brush I've managed to get a straight shape a bit turned under at the ends but it's still got body.

BoysRule Wed 10-Aug-16 20:03:30

I have similar hair to you - how do you use these? You can put hair in the clasp but then what do you do with the bristle brush?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 10-Aug-16 20:36:52

Oooooooooh I like the look of that. I was moaning about the fact Braun gas hot brushes are no longer sold but that looks a great replacement and so many good reviews!

EmpressTomatoKetchup Wed 10-Aug-16 21:08:00

I really want a DAFNi uk.dafni.life but they cost over a hundred quid! I might go for the cheaper Asa Vea www.asavea.com

Does anyone have one? Would you recommend it?

BeJayKayven Thu 11-Aug-16 00:01:21

boys it's hard to explain, the outside of it gets hot under the bristles as well so you run your hair through the straightener as normal, but turning it at the same time and the hair comes out straight and round. I've only had it a few days and just getting used to it at the mo. I'm hesitant to recommend things on here but so far so good.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 11-Aug-16 07:39:56

It's like a Babyliss Big Hair then, but better? I have one but it just doesn't last on my hair, it holds the shape for about ten minutes then drops.

BeJayKayven Thu 11-Aug-16 18:08:42

It doesn't blow air, does the BBH do that? It just heats like tongs.

TheWombat Thu 11-Aug-16 18:13:01

Gah, you've all just made me buy an Asavea off Amazon! I will test it out on my fine but frizzy, bra strap length hair and report back...

oigetoffmycheese Thu 11-Aug-16 19:40:01

Marking my place. Awaiting report.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 11-Aug-16 20:45:31

Yes the BBH blows hot air.

EmpressTomatoKetchup Fri 12-Aug-16 12:46:30

I spent the evening watching/reading loads of you tube vids/reviews of these things and bought an acevivi anion brush, I've just used it for the 1st time and I'm quite pleased. It heats up in under a minute and I didn't need to faff around sectioning my hair.

TheWombat Tue 16-Aug-16 09:44:50

ASAVEA UPDATE grin

I tried this out a couple of days ago - on freshly washed and air dried hair. My hair is fine but there's a LOT of it. It's prone to splitting, dry, needs careful treatment. Straightening it with GHDs takes the hairdresser about an hour (longer if I do it myself) and ruins my hair after one or two goes. Ugh. I've had a kerasilk treatment which hasn't completely removed the frizz but has made it way easier to blow dry smooth and style (recommend this, totally life changing). So what I'm after is a way to style my hair that's quick and easy and doesn't damage my hair.

Well, this is certainly quick and easy. It heats up in about 5 minutes, you can vary the temperature. It feels sturdy and well made and came really beautifully presented - in a thick card box, with a velvet pouch inside that you can keep the brush in. So far, so good..

I brushed it fairly quickly through my hair (in sections) as I was in a rush - and it probably took 3-5 minutes to do all of it! It does smooth and straighten, but not poker straight: I don't get the glass-like effect of GHDs or of a really good blow dry. I suspect it doesn't damage in the way of GHDs but over time I'm sure it will cause my hair to split more than a normal round brush blow dry on roughly dried hair would. My hair did stay frizz free over a few days (lasting from Sat until today), but a few waves/kinks crept in today.

The other things to be aware of are:

1) The plate where the bristles are embedded gets REALLY hot - I burned my finger (doh, what a nob!).

2) The temperature buttons are on the side of the handle - which is v annoying as it's easy to accidentally press them when you're using the brush, and there's no sound or beep to tell you the temp has changed.

I will use it as it's so so quick, but I probably would still do a blow dry with a round brush if I had time (or stick some Velcro rollers in nearly-dry hair if I wanted to avoid heat). It's good to have more options if you're in a rush though. I suspect that the more expensive DAFNI option doesnt really add anything more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now