Choose me a new hairstyle please!

(21 Posts)
TheOnlySevenSleighbells Sun 08-Dec-13 13:50:49

My hair is really thick and generally difficult to look after. I have no time with two little ones and an older disabled child. I want it cut short so it's easier to manage (have an appointment booked for this week) but I really don't know what I want or what will suit me, please help!

I'm quite fancying getting mine all chopped off too

MissMiniTheMinx Sun 08-Dec-13 13:57:21

Your hair looks lovely. I have thick wavy hair and after DS2 was born had it cut to shoulder length which was ok but short...oh dear, far too much hassle. I find it easier when its longer because when its short it bounces up more, or needs blow drying, sticks out if left to its own devices, has waves in the wrong places, or needs straightening to look half sensible and you can't just tie it up in a pony tail on a bad hair day. Having said all that a long bob works quiet well.

KnockMeDown Sun 08-Dec-13 13:58:08

Would you consider something like this? You have quite a high forehead, like me, and I find no fringe can look harsh. If you go for a short style, but still soft and fringey on the forehead, it will look very feminine. Perhaps try scraping all your hair off your face in front of the mirror, and tease some strands over your forehead, to get an idea of what it might look like?

Bear in mind long - short is much more time intensive than you'd imagine.
You need to wash or tame it daily.
And don't forget the regular upkeep hairdresser appointments

(And when I had very short hair I had to wear make-up or I looked like a bloke in my eyes but apparently I was the double of her from Mel and Sue)
I have dark hair and glasses. Not sure if I was smile or hmm

TheOnlySevenSleighbells Sun 08-Dec-13 14:06:38

?

birdybear Sun 08-Dec-13 14:13:31

I had medium length hair and recently got it but short in a frankie sandford like style. I really love it. Its easy, quick to do and look good sleek or messy . Will also bring your hair down to your face which is what i wanted to do, but without a fringe as such.

The pics are obviously her, not me !

birdybear Sun 08-Dec-13 14:14:24

It was scary but liberating! Yet have the right face shape too, would look elegant on you!

TheOnlySevenSleighbells Sun 08-Dec-13 14:20:19

Ooh birdy I like it! It can get greasy though, do you think it would still work?

birdybear Sun 08-Dec-13 14:26:53

Yes, i wash mine every two or three days. This style looks good messy too, so if it needs washing, put some wax in and just rustle it up!

birdybear Sun 08-Dec-13 14:28:17

Plus it give yet more height on top, cos you have all the weight cut off the bottom. My hair is really thick like yours, so would hold it well.

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Sun 08-Dec-13 14:31:33

What about something like this.

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Sun 08-Dec-13 14:32:11

Without the glasses. grin

ivykaty44 Sun 08-Dec-13 14:33:40

i would also go with knock me downs photo, have the thickness chopped out and use some styling spray to keep it looking good.

I have short hair and it takes me 15 minutes in the morning to shower, dry my hair and dress. I shower every day without fail though and wash my hair so it is never greasy.

Your hair is lovely - and you are v pretty. I'd be tempted to have about four inches cut off and a long side fringe cut in. Give that a try first and then consider going short if you still find it a pain. Sometimes short hair takes more faffing than long tbh.

I've just gone short though, and am delighted with it!

TheOnlySevenSleighbells Sun 08-Dec-13 14:36:23

lumpy I think my hair would go too bushy

lookatmybutt Mon 09-Dec-13 02:27:21

You have some nice hair there!

I think a short, wavy bob should suit and would be easy to style and look after. Have a look through these:

http://www.thehairstyler.com/hairstyles/casual/short/wavy

You have quite a high forehead so I think a fringe or sideswept long fringe is in order. This one?

http://www.thehairstyler.com/hairstyles/casual/short/wavy/olivia-thirlby?ref=hair_types

TBH a lot of those styles could be adapted to have fringes.

It will look nice and give your hair some extra boing. You won't need to do much to it - even just scrunch drying would leave it looking groovy.

I think you should be prepared for extra boingyness anyway - straightening will be a pain in the arse if you need to do it all the time. You can always smooth it out when you want to.

I don't think the style picked by birdy will work - you will likely always need to heavily style it (it's nice though, if a bit old fashioned).

lookatmybutt Mon 09-Dec-13 02:28:11
TheOnlySevenSleighbells Wed 11-Dec-13 15:36:27

The new cut, I'm so pleased with it. Thanks for all the advice on this thread thanks

Spottycurtains Wed 11-Dec-13 17:04:32

That looks fantastic. Your hair was beautiful before but this looks really current and you look so pretty.

Beaverfeaver Wed 11-Dec-13 21:25:46

I can hardly tecognise the person in the first post to this latest one.

You look great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now