Please help me find a dress

(23 Posts)
catgirl1976 Thu 28-Nov-13 21:41:34

I need to find a dress. Smart enough to wear on a night out but not overly dressy.

I don't mind colour too much but I tend to wear black, red, dark green, grey or purples.

I would like something that accentuates my cleavage but hides my tummy and bum. Not too short, just above the knee would be great and it needs sleeves or some sort to hide bingo wings

I just can't find anything that is right

I am 5 ft 7 and a size 12 (on a good day, 14 on a bad). I have an hourglass type figure (big bottom)

I love the Joan, Mad Men look so maybe some sort of v neck pencil dress, but the ones I see either have random bits cut out (why?!?) ) or I am too frightened they will make my arse look huge.

Sorry if that seems like an impossible task....am hoping one the amazingly stylish MNers on here can help

Thank you!

catgirl1976 Thu 28-Nov-13 21:43:15

Forgot to mention, it needs to have a fair bit a vavavoom for the occasion

Laska42 Thu 28-Nov-13 21:51:39

this? not V neck but very flattering , however only in Black in your size right now though

catgirl1976 Thu 28-Nov-13 21:54:11

I do like that

It is a little pricey though

I like the shape but I have short legs and I think the length wouldn't suit me

Thank you though thanks

tethersend Thu 28-Nov-13 22:49:12

What's your budget?

How about this?

tethersend Thu 28-Nov-13 22:51:54

Or this- there's a 50% off code somewhere...

HyvaPaiva Thu 28-Nov-13 23:19:40

This is perfection. It flatters the torso and arms, has a not-too-low v-neck for some voluptuous chic, it isn't bodycon tight but rather skimming. It's timeless.

I got it for £30 in the ASOS sale (now sold out) but you could perhaps look around the department store websites/use promo codes to bring the price down.

catgirl1976 Fri 29-Nov-13 10:23:25

I love the retro site smile

Really like the first dress tethers

Hyva that is stunning - I love it smile

tethersend Fri 29-Nov-13 10:44:39

Hyva's link won't work for me... Which coast dress is it? Am nosy grin

It calls itself "Olivia sleeved jersey dress"

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Sat 30-Nov-13 15:40:25

look at Lady V london if you like the vintage style

catgirl1976 Sat 30-Nov-13 16:51:36

Oh god - I love some of the dresses on the Lady V site

Not for the night out I posted about but I think I might have to buy a few of those - I love them - thanks Eccles

catgirl1976 Sun 01-Dec-13 13:52:03

I've gone for this in black

Do you think it loos ok? It's way off what I thought I wanted but I think I like it

Also - bit worried about my arms - what would be a good cardigan / shrug / jacket to hide them

tethersend Sun 01-Dec-13 13:58:32

That's a nice dress- but if you want to cover your arms it seems an odd choice, as it would be a shame to cover the dress with a cardigan.

Cardigans are rarely vavavoom grin

If you need a cover up for outside, I'd go for a fake fur cropped jacket.

What shoes/tights are you planning?

catgirl1976 Sun 01-Dec-13 14:16:38

I know sad I might have to brave my arms

I do have a fake fur cropped jacket though which might look ok

Shoes-wise I have a pair a black, very high heeled round toed shoes or knee high black wedge boots - would either of those look ok do you think?

Tights-wise I tend to go for black opaques in hope they are slimming but think it might be too much black and maybe I should go for flesh coloured?

tethersend Sun 01-Dec-13 14:27:23

I'd do flesh coloured tights and red shoes... The high black ones also sound good

catgirl1976 Sun 01-Dec-13 14:31:46

Fab

I don't have any red shoes but I will have a look

If not I will go with the black

Thank you thanks

BurnThisDiscoDown Sun 01-Dec-13 19:11:07

Sorry to crash your thread Catgirl, but do you think that dress would work for an evening wedding reception? Haven't a clue what to wear.

catgirl1976 Sun 01-Dec-13 19:23:14

Crash away smile But Tethers is waaay better to answer your question than me!

I think in the green rather than the black it would be nice for an evening reception

BurnThisDiscoDown Sun 01-Dec-13 19:45:48

I was thinking that Catgirl (about the green, not Tethers! grin), could use it for the works christmas do too.

catgirl1976 Sun 01-Dec-13 20:30:15

I think it would be great for both smile

I might re-wear for my works xmas do as well

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Mon 02-Dec-13 11:18:19

cargirl that dress is lovely, very sophisticated. You are so stunning though it will need dressing up with accessories, with your colouring I secong red shoes and clutch bag with chunky jewellry?

catgirl1976 Mon 02-Dec-13 20:05:34

Eccles blush I'm not but thank you

It has arrived - I've not had chance to try it on yet but I am pleased with it so far - it's nice material and it doesn't look too clingy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now