French pharmacy beauty brands

(13 Posts)
Tedder Fri 13-Sep-13 07:12:36

I'm living in France and keep seeing mention of how fabulous the French pharmacy beauty brands are. I've taken a look and there is a large, and bewildering, choice. I feel like I'm missing a trick(am still having Elemis sent over from the UK) so what are your must-use recommendations? I have normal skin with an oily T-zone. And currently a spotty forehead due to post-childbirth hormones. Thanks.

SundaySimmons Fri 13-Sep-13 07:19:15

I am using a lovely Avene moisturiser at the moment.

SorrelForbes Fri 13-Sep-13 07:21:31

La Roche Posay do some lovely products especially for skin prone to breakouts.

SundaySimmons Fri 13-Sep-13 07:23:36

http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10052&productId=1002759

It is very nice. I bought it after a reaction to using retin-a use it on my crows feet area. It doesn't break me out, is effective at moisturising and has a silky feel when applying.

SundaySimmons Fri 13-Sep-13 07:23:51

http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10052&productId=1002759

It is very nice. I bought it after a reaction to using retin-a use it on my crows feet area. It doesn't break me out, is effective at moisturising and has a silky feel when applying.

VillaVillekulla Fri 13-Sep-13 08:38:41

La Roche Posay, Vichy, RoC, Bioderma, and Avene are all lovely and will be much cheaper than having Elemis sent over.

Kezztrel Fri 13-Sep-13 09:14:36

I used to stock up on Embryolisse moisturiser when I visited friends in France - it was 9 euro rather than the ~£20 it cost over here! It's worth a try, v gentle and can be used a moisturising mask or make up remover as well.

Vintagebeads Fri 13-Sep-13 09:30:32

La Roche Posay, thanks to here I have now really nice skin.

I use the cleanser and moisturiser CICAPLAST. It is so good.It's higher priced than basic ranges but not stupid expensive that makes it a treat product.
The good thing about La Roche is the range, they cover all those skin types that no one else seems to,my skin is dry and vvvv sensitive I would not even be able to have E45. It's such a great range.

AwkwardSquad Fri 13-Sep-13 09:34:57

La Roche Posay has done wonders for my skin. I use a combination depending on what myskin needs from the Effacler range, the light hydrating one for dehydrated skin, occasionally Cicaplast, and just started the Vit C range. Best skincare I've ever used including Dermalogica, Clarins, ROC.

callamia Fri 13-Sep-13 09:35:43

I love Avene. I'm using their cold cream cleanser, their serum and one of their moisturisers. They're super gentle and my dreadful skin has steadily improved.

Tedder Fri 13-Sep-13 10:36:31

Great recommendations! Thanks, I'll be off to the Parapharmacie later. Looks as though Avene and La Roche Posay are the favourites.

Vibbe Fri 13-Sep-13 10:51:28

La Roche-Posay's Cicaplast creams are good, but should not be used every day. They are barrier creams for damaged skin, not a moisturiser.

I don't really rate the Effaclar range from LRP, but their mascaras are good.

Avene is quite similar to LRP. I love the Akerat 30 cream. The cold cream range is great too - it's the only hand cream my dad (who has psoriasis on his hands) can use.

Vichy is great too - I really like the Dermablend liquid foundation (which I use as a concealer).

Nuxe is very nice - their lip balms and hand cream are lovely and the oil is great too.

I really like Uriage too. And Garancia.
Dermophil lipbalm and hand cream are amazing - during the cold winters here, it's all we use - and I've had to send the lipbalms to my family as well.

If the supermarkets have Essence and Catrice, they are worth getting - it's cheap makeup, but the nail polishes are very good, and some of the other products are great too.

Kneipp, which should also be found in the pharmacies and parapharmacies, is great too. It's aromatherapy/natural/healing stuff, I think, but the showergels are very nice if you like the scents. I love the lavender ones.

Klorane dryshampoos are very nice too. I'm less keen on the shampoos and conditioners, only because I don't like the scents.

If you need new makeup brushes, I recommend the ones from Marionnaud. They are really good (I think the foundation brush, powder brushes and blush brushes are as good as Mac brushes and the smaller ones such as concealer, eyeshadow brushes and brow brush are very good too)

Tedder Fri 13-Sep-13 11:14:16

Thanks Vibbe! You sound like an expert!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now