HD brows? Anyone had this, how is it different from a wax and tint?

(26 Posts)
Foosyerdoos Fri 07-Jun-13 21:38:22

My eyebrows are a bit shit.
Is it worth going for HD Brows at £30 a pop or will I get similar effect from an eyebrow wax and tint fit £12.50.

FrantasticO Fri 07-Jun-13 22:16:23

Bumping as I would love to know too.

BuntyCollocks Fri 07-Jun-13 22:26:48

Hd brows vastly superior. Great tint, and they wax, thread and pluck them into submission. I always get positive comments on my brows. Which is weird, but nice.

chinley Fri 07-Jun-13 22:27:47

I don't think it's really worth the money tbh. I used to get mine done every 6 weeks but now I tint and wax my own and I get a similar result. You will notice a slight difference as they thread and trim as well, it's just up to you how much extra you're willing to pay for that. The 7th step where they put make up on and around your brows is utterly pointless.

chinley Fri 07-Jun-13 22:29:16

And the tint doesn't last more than a week. It's much better to buy your own and learn to do it yourself.

Panzee Fri 07-Jun-13 22:32:52

I had it because my eyebrows are sparse. She told me they were too sparse to do properly and basically drew all over them and put eyeshadow on them . I looked like a twat.

Foosyerdoos Fri 07-Jun-13 22:38:06

I'm pretty sure (I will ask next time I see her) one of the women I work with has had HD brows and they look fab. However I think you need pretty good brows to start off with and mine are a bit over plucked tbh.
People who tint their own brows? How is this accomplished?

chinley Fri 07-Jun-13 22:44:15

I trained in beauty therapy but tbh it's so easy and simple to tint, anyone could do it. You buy the kit off a beauty supplier, which basically consists of the colour paste and the solution which you mix together, to the correct specifications, paste it on, leave 2-5 min and wipe off with a damp cotton pad. The most important part is to apply it in the correct shape because the tint will take instantly to any skin it comes in contact with. This is where your vaseline comes in handy - mark out the area you want to dye with the vaseline so you can't make any mistakes. It's really easy once you get the hang of it.

ItsAllTLAsToMe Fri 07-Jun-13 22:50:39

chinley, I don't understand - is the aim to tint your eyebrows, your skin, or both? And you say that you get the hang if it pretty quickly, but that means you look like a twat the first couple of times that you try it grin?

I might give it a miss.

chinley Fri 07-Jun-13 23:10:58

Both, it's the dyeing of the skin that really evens out the look of the brows and conceals any patchiness. But, like I said, the dye on the skin only lasts about a week so the initial effect you get wont last long, whether you pay £30 or DIY!

If you use the vaseline trick it's pretty much foolproof and you'll save a fortune! smile

TheCraicDealer Fri 07-Jun-13 23:17:17

You can get a tinting kit from Boots for 7 or 8 quid (beside false eyelashes!) and you get about 15 goes out of it. Would recommend for the sparse of brow.

RiffyWammal Fri 07-Jun-13 23:29:43

I had HD brows once and I too was made to look like a beetle-browed twat. I couldn't wait to get home to scrub off the make-up, it looked ridiculous. Way too dark and thick. DH picked me up from the salon and even though he is lovely and ever complimentary about my appearance, even he could not hide his alarm when I walked out having transformed into Noel Gallagher!

I think apart from the make-up element, HD brows are good if you have thick eyebrows and the beautician has a lot to work with in the first place to achieve a nice shape. Mine are quite sparse so it wasn't really worth it, and now I tint them myself with a kit I got from Amazon and occasionally get them threaded.

I would love to get mine tattooed.

HeyLuciani Sat 08-Jun-13 01:01:11

I use the Godefroy tint which you can get on Amazon. As mentioned though, it does tint the skin so be careful. If you're worried about leaving it on too long, you can always remove it and check how much it has worked, then reapply if necessary. Give yourself enough time - the first time I did it was about an hour before I left to go on holiday (idiot) - I was a bit sla

HeyLuciani Sat 08-Jun-13 01:03:58

....sorry, bloody phone.

Was a bit slapdash with my application so I went to the airport looking quite angry and a little bit crazy. it does not scrub off easily! - had to try and cover then with my hair for first couple of days until it wore off a bit blush

Foosyerdoos Sat 08-Jun-13 13:52:57

Thanks for all the comments, I think I will just go a normal wax and tint, but I think I will also purchase some good eyebrow make up.
I too would like to have my brows tattooed.

Jerri23 Wed 22-Jul-15 07:35:48

I'm not sure if it's helpful but I've recently added a post about HD Brows to my blog. I'd had them done a while ago and the results were quite different to my most recent treatment. The steps seemed to have changed this time and they included threading. You can find it at www.northeastlifestyle.co.uk/2015/07/what-are-hd-brows.html?m=1.

WeeBoobs Fri 24-Jul-15 13:40:36

I had this done yesterday (booked it after reading this thread grin). It was £30 and took an hour.

Loved it! I have very long eyebrow hairs and she trimmed them into looking beautiful. She also waxed and tweezed the brows into a perfect shape and gave them a bit of a tint (although they are almost black anyway). And she threaded all the fluffy fair hairs around to make them more defined.

I'm over the moon with the results. Booked myself in for 8 weeks' time.

Littlepumpkinpie Fri 24-Jul-15 14:51:58

I have mine done and love them always look natural. Well worth the money. In the past I've had them threaded my threader was great then she stopped. Found another good threader then she stopped doing them as good. So the search went on found currant place through a friend who's eyebrows looked amazing asked her where she had them done and now go there too.

aec87 Fri 05-Feb-16 20:56:45

Or you could have semi permanent makeup done and save yourself £30 a month and regular visits to the salon.

I like HD if done on a full brow but since training in PMU I would always recommend that over HD. After all HD is just great marketing really.

These are some of the brows I have done. They last about a year and then you just have them topped up as and when needed smile

Turquoiseskies Thu 18-Feb-16 17:11:31

Where in the country are you aec?

aec87 Thu 18-Feb-16 17:30:13

I'm in East Anglia (Lowestoft is my main salon) but I also float around salons in - Diss, Poringland and Norwich.

If you are thinking about having PMU, let me know. If I can't do it I can definitely recommend someone good in your area smile

BunnyTyler Thu 18-Feb-16 17:53:21

If you've over plucked and have ended up with misshapen brows then I think HD Brows are worth the spend for a few visits.

You just have to hand control of your eyebrows over to the beautician and leave them well alone, they bring back a lovely shape which is individual toy your face/taste.
Mine took 3 visits (every 5 weeks) to get back to a lovely shape and then I was able to maintain that myself.
Once you get a good shape back you can go to cheaper places just for a tint and thread.

I wasn't ever a fan of the make-up that they put in at the end as it was too dark and fake for my taste, but I loved the shape and tint colour when I washed the makeup off.

I would def recommend them.

(I have semi permanent brows now, so don't need tints at all anymore).

Turquoiseskies Thu 18-Feb-16 18:04:31

I'm in the north west.

aec87 Thu 18-Feb-16 20:02:19

Yeh I agree. HD is fine if you are able to grow the hair but then again your therapist would suggest this anyway (or ought to). For a lot of older women who can't grow any brow hair I would always suggest they save the monthly visits and have pmu. How have you found yours? Was it recent?

Turquoiseskies - try larra.co.uk/ She is a lovely women and extremely talented. Her salons are hygienic and licensed.

Turquoiseskies Fri 19-Feb-16 10:37:06

Thanks will take a look

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now