Best UK beauty buys - what would you recommend?

(23 Posts)
BodminPill Thu 23-May-13 07:11:57

Hi ladies,

I am a Brit living in Canada but will be visiting family in a few weeks time. What are your UK beauty must buys so that I can load up my suitcase whilst I'm over.

Already got Neal's Yard Rose facial oil and Waitrose Bottom Butter on my list, what else?

Am late thirties, normal-dry skin, could do with brightening my complexion a bit.

Would also like some recommendations for shower gels

Shame I only have a 23 kg luggage alowance grin

creamsoda Thu 23-May-13 12:41:50

I'm popping over from Oz and was literally going to start a post of the same nature. I miss Boots blush
On my list I have:
Soap & glory foot file
Revlon lip butter
Max factor 2000 calorie mascara
Olbas oil hmm
Stila foundation (tho really want a more 'chemical free' brand?)
And Butter London nail varnish
(Can get some of these over here but so much cheaper in UK!)

I have 30kg, muahaha

starjules Thu 23-May-13 13:00:29

Models own nail polish is great as is the MUA make up and sleek make up both from superdrug. A lot of people rate liz Earle skincare rane, bit it doesn't suit my skin. Also you must head to top shop!

starjules Thu 23-May-13 13:01:14

Doh that should say liz Earle skincare range.

JennySense Thu 23-May-13 13:01:38

Try some Liz Earle products - check online for the Boots stores you can buy from - rec hot cloth polish
Natural Source are my fave shower gels
Check out Lush stores
LilyLolo mineral make up [mail order only I think]
yy to any Neal's Yard really

Trying to think of some more British brands...

JennySense Thu 23-May-13 13:02:28

yy to picking up some Superdrug bargains - the MUA Undressed palettes for eyeshadow.

pocketandsweet Thu 23-May-13 13:17:01

That's funny. I've been living here for 15 years preparing to move back to Canada and trying to think about what things I need to stock up on before we leave.....weirdly Olbas oil also figures on my list. Bodmin Pill you can't buy Olbas oil in Canada now can you?

pocketandsweet Thu 23-May-13 13:22:58

Definitely MUA at Superdrug... Just such a great bargain.

mirai Thu 23-May-13 13:33:05

www.echemist.co.uk is an expat's best friend... Free worldwide delivery too smile

BodminPill Thu 23-May-13 17:08:13

Oh, Olbas Oil, yes thanks for reminder they don't have that in Canada pocket. I always buy Karvol for DC when in the UK, but never remember to get Olbas

Will have to check out MUA

Already use Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish. Any other top products from her line?

jenny i love Source shower gels also, so thanks for reminder

Keep 'em coming, I reckon I can manage a couple more kg yet wink

whosiwhatsit Thu 23-May-13 19:39:08

Anything by Yes to Carrots. Body stuff by Organic Surge. Anything and everything by Arran Aromatics (all their stuff smells divine).

fridgepants Thu 23-May-13 21:56:04

Butter London isn't a British brand - it's American - though given how expensive cosmetics are on Oz, it's probably still cheaper...

fridgepants Thu 23-May-13 21:56:05

Butter London isn't a British brand - it's American - though given how expensive cosmetics are on Oz, it's probably still cheaper...

SundaySimmons Thu 23-May-13 22:34:26

www.boots.com/en/Vaseline-Lip-Therapy-Pink-Bubbly-Limited-Edition_1283320/

Can you get that in Canada?

Also Weleda products are really good.

Wiggy29 Thu 23-May-13 23:07:19

Not sure if you can get them where you are but regular brands i live are:
Soap & glory products (don't bother with their cosmetics) (boots)
Barry m (ESP nail varnish)
Urban decay (shadows&eye liners)
Liz Earle
Neal's yard
Barbara daly (I think that's the name) in tesco

creamsoda Fri 24-May-13 13:43:04

Weleda and yes to carrots are v nice, want to check out organic surge too.
I didn't release butter was American, I like the idea of less chemical filled nail polish, but it's $20 here so I get sucked into the $6 Rimmel ones!
Ta for the thread bod
Will defo check out chemist.co.uk, thanks smile
May also have to purchase a perfume in 'duty free' - does that even make much difference these days?!

JennySense Fri 24-May-13 21:23:39

Yes to Carrots is a US brand [which I also love]

Body Shop body butters?
Aromatherapy Associates Deep Relax bath oil
Tangle Teeezer hairbrush

bettycocker Sat 25-May-13 05:22:17

If you like Neal's Yard, you might also like the Weleda stuff.

My favourite are:

Birch cellulite oil
Aknedoron Purifying Lotion

Their deodorants are also really nice. I have the rose one and it smells gorgeous.

ivanapoo Sat 25-May-13 05:38:20

It's pricey but I love Green & Spring and Cowshed shower/bath stuff.

Also Ren Moroccan Rose bath oil. Smells amazing. You can buy them all in Harvey Nics, Space NK etc (Cowshed is everywhere these days).

Batiste dry shampoo, if you use it.

Aldi moisturisers are dirt cheap but contain some more "expensive" ingredients.

Most of the make up I love is probably cheaper in the US! How about Rimmel stuff? I know some people rate their lippies...

I also love Topshop cream blusher.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 25-May-13 09:43:24

Aldi wrinkle stop. It has the exact same active ingredient as an expensive brand but is £5 not £80. I use it around my eyes.

Wheresthepopcornagain Sat 25-May-13 12:55:47

I would get kerestase products like their hair masks (really expensive here in Canada). I also really miss clarins which is reasonable in the UK. I used to love their tonic shower concentrate and body polisher - smells like a spa. welded a you can buy in health shops in Canada. I would also buy cheap makeup brushes - really miss Boots own brand makeup brushes which are about 5 to 8 pounds. I would have to pay 22 canadian dollars for the same brush at shoppers drug mart or 26 dollars at bodyshop.
I also used to like avene and roc which are at boots - avenue is really expensive here.

BodminPill Sat 25-May-13 15:42:21

Some great suggestions, thanks all, lots of things I wouldn't have thought of!

We have Body Shop and Rimmel here and as popcorn says Weleda can be found in Health food stores here - but it's good to have an idea of what products are the best of the range.

Will definitely check out Aldi's skin creams - think I've seen mentioned them on here a few times.

On previous visits I have bought a TangleTeezer (brilliant) and a Leighton Denny nail file (also briliiant) so I'm hoping to come up trumps again!

Any particular Cowshed or Soap and Glory smellies to look out for?

Mirai you evil, evil woman showing me that link wink

mirai Sun 26-May-13 03:30:20

Glad to be of service!! grin

Another good one with free worldwide delivery is Feel Unique, however they don't discount VAT whereas echemist do. However, there are a lot of beauty brands on FU that aren't on echemist, whereas echemist has lots of lovely OTC meds which I can't get here, so it just depends on what you need/fancy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now