Am I going to look like mutton in these jeans?

(21 Posts)
Snowgirl1 Mon 20-May-13 22:57:15

Gap 1969 destroyed sexy boyfriend jeans

I'm 42.

I am aren't I? I've ordered them on-line - I did want them in this denim but they don't have them in my size and today's 20% discount was too much to resist!

I prefer them darker myself. I think looking mutton will depend on what you wear them with. If they don't suit, send them back, don't hang on to them if you know you can't/won't wear them!

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Mon 20-May-13 23:09:44

I prefer the second pair, don't think I'd wear the first because of the tears but I am almost 50.

Snowgirl1 Mon 20-May-13 23:17:58

I'd probably wear them with something like this?

If the Gap ones are too mutton when I get them, I will definitely return them. But where can I get some tapered boyfriend jeans?? For about £40?

New Look had some in recently. A lot less than £40 as well. Not quite so distressed as the gap ones though

Snowgirl1 Mon 20-May-13 23:44:59

Thanks OneLittleLady, I don't want something as distressed as the Gap ones. Might try to pop into New Look in my lunch hour tomorrow and have a look.

Mutton is one of those words, like mumsy it ought to die a death and be gone! Set yourselves free from the dreaded M words ladies.

I don't like ripped jeans much myself but can see them (yes on a 40 something) looking great with decent black heels, a plain white tee and cropped blazer. I would be tempted to dress them up, gorgeous jewellery, etc....if you see what I mean.

.....style them to your age and style. For instance, they would look less appealing (in my opinion only) teamed with multicolour Dunks and a spangly bomber jacket.

It's how you wear them.
And if you have great hair - you have already won the battle of all battles.

(my hair is currently shit)

Startail Tue 21-May-13 00:49:56

£45 for worn out jeans?

I've never understood, even as a teen, why you would buy clothes with holes in them.

I always feel the urge to patch them, just as DM did our childhood jeans.

Perhaps thets why, having had not a lot of money and having to patch things nakes destroyed denim just wrong.

Snowgirl1 Tue 21-May-13 13:06:04

Startail I didn't want the destroyed denim - it was just a bit of an impulse purchase as they didn't have the style in the non-destroyed denim that I wanted!

ToastedTeacakes you might not like the word mutton - but you obviously knew what I meant, so it served it's purpose grin. I don't even know what "Dunks" are, so hopefully I'm safe from that fashion faux pas!

blibblibs Tue 21-May-13 13:52:33

I'm only a couple of years off 40 and I have the sexy boyfriend jean. They do have some destruction but not quite as much as those. Not online at the moment but I did get them last week in the sale for £10!
I would wear those jeans aswell though.

bulletproofgerbil Tue 21-May-13 15:55:59

I wouldn't wear them, but I'm now 52 and even though a young looking 52, I'd not be comfortable. Definitely would have 10 years ago. Though I like a bit less destruction. As other posters have said, I think a lot would depend on what you wore with them. If you had 6" studded stilletos and a racer-back vest with side boobage, then I'd probably say that was too young a look, but tastefully accessorised, I don't see why not.

finlaysmum12 Tue 21-May-13 16:17:30

I'm ......44 ! and have some Next Tapered Jeans, they look very similar to those GAP ones,but much less distressed. about £30 I think

finlaysmum12 Tue 21-May-13 16:22:03

and tesco ( !!) had some tapered boyfriends- £14, but not distressed at all.

tungthai Tue 21-May-13 16:22:08

They are awful. Age is not the issue.

CointreauVersial Tue 21-May-13 18:51:57

I'm with Startail - I don't get the ripped clothing thing at all.

And I do think, now I'm in my mid-40s, I want to look a bit more....groomed than that.

But the non-ripped type are OK.

usualsuspect Tue 21-May-13 18:56:12

Oooh thanks for the Tesco tip.

I love the style of boyfriend jeans but not the holey ones.

HandMini Tue 21-May-13 19:03:14

No, I wouldn't buy them, not because they're "mutton" or whatever (and agree that's a dreadful term) but because I think they look too "stylised" and try hard.

nilbyname Tue 21-May-13 19:12:11

I have some lovely ones from river island, which I wear with an oversized slinky top, and leopard print court shoes.

finlaysmum12 Tue 21-May-13 21:12:52
cocolepew Tue 21-May-13 21:16:02

The Next ones are really nice on. I got a pair of Falmers, from Matalan, the turn ups are a greeny colour. They aren't too low on the waist and I get loads of compliments about them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now