my highlights always fade and go darker.

(10 Posts)
ThatVikRinA22 Fri 15-Mar-13 23:27:46

i spend a fortune on highlights - blonde suits me way more than my natural colour - but the problem is that no matter what hairdresser uses my hair wants to go back to warmer tones....

at min i have 3 shades of blonde and one darker slice through to disguise my roots when they regrow....im naturally very dark, yet im pale with green eyes. i have dark eyebrows and dark eye lashes.

my hair looks fab for a couple of weeks after highlights, but then goes brassy. This happens even when she uses peroxide on some highlights.

im using sheer blonde 'go blonder' shampoo and conditioner - should i be using one of these purple shampoos? would it help keep my colour fresh for longer?

ive tried every colour under the sun - natural, black, red and blonde and blonde is the one that really suits my colouring. i just dont know how to convince my hair of that!

anonymosity Sat 16-Mar-13 00:35:05

I would try the purple shampoo - but also I'd mix it up a bit - sometimes the fading colour is linked to shampoo / conditioner build up. If you change brands around maybe once a week or so, that may help. Hair sounds nice, btw.

ThatVikRinA22 Sat 16-Mar-13 00:44:51

thank you. !

i do like the colours and its all very subtle....i do love my hairdresser and i give her free reign to do what she likes, i go to the mark hill salon. not cheap (but actually not that pricey either - comparable to local salons) but nor do i look it !! despite being a brunette who should be blonde...it never looks tacky, but it just fades fast and wants to go "warmer" so goes brassy.

will try a purple shampoo once or twice a week - anyone got any suggestions?

kerstina Sat 16-Mar-13 08:58:25

Yes try the purple shampoo also I like L'oreal chroma care conditioner in gold. It seems to refresh colour and its a really nice conditioner. Is gold too warm for you though?

Glimpers Sat 16-Mar-13 09:38:26

Vicarina, I used the 'go blonder' shampoo/ conditioner and found my hair took on a distinctly yellowy orange tone! I use a colour restore one now (in iced blonde I think) once a week and leave it on for the 25 minutes it states. Gets rid of the warm tones and colour looks lovely and bright again.
Sorry I can't link (on phone!) but I got it from Boots, in the hair colour section.

JumpHerWho Sat 16-Mar-13 10:21:54

I have the exact same issues Vicar! I've given up having several colours now and just have bleach highlights. Even they do go orangey after a while though. My hairdresser's advice was to get them done more frequently but it's so bloody expensive!

I think product build-up can cause brassiness too, so I use a clarifying shampoo weekly and try to avoid silicones during the week, saving them for when I straighten it at the weekend. I did have a purple shampoo before - well a dark bright blue one - it was a Loreal one in a silver bottle from hairdresser, they'll advise you best.

kaumana Sat 16-Mar-13 12:39:17

I use Touch of Silver by Pro-voke twice a week brightening shampoo and it really makes a difference. You can buy it from Amazon for cheaper than Boots normally.

iclaudius Sat 16-Mar-13 12:58:45

Glimper what is the colour restore product called please ?

LadyApricot Sun 17-Mar-13 10:16:29

Clairol shimmer lights. Get it on amazon. It is INCREDIBLE!
Leave it on for 5 minutes and it looks like you've just had your highlights done again!

ThatVikRinA22 Sun 17-Mar-13 22:58:45

thank you. will try the shimmer lights one. at hairdressers on friday for roots doing - 12 slices. will let you know what i think!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now