I want marine cream but am too poor

(21 Posts)

I've been using Elemis Pro Collagen Marine Cream since about November (I'm 46 with pretty well behaved skin) .
I buy from QVC, again I'm a bit distustful of Ebay and I know I've got their 30 day guarentee.

But I don't want all the extra bits (I've got plenty of the 'add-ons' ).

The April edition of Cosmopolitan has got a freebie Elemis-
I picked one with a 25ml of freshskin skin clear mattifying moisturiser to keep me going until I find a PCMC offer.

Cosmo is £3.60 so even if I went to John Lewis to buy Elemis, the price of getting there is petrol + £4 for the Dartford Crossing & Tunnel.

Seems like a bargain grin

JemimaPuddle Mon 11-Mar-13 10:03:38

I've never had a problem buying on eBay but could understand you'd be nervous. There are lots of people that buy the kits from QVC & sell on the bits they don't want. The cheapest QVC kit with it in at the moment has 15ml marine cream, 15ml night cream & a 30ml cleanser at about £30 including p&p.

munchkinmaster Sun 10-Mar-13 23:39:23

I looked qvc about list price. The splitting up sets thing might work but could backfire and I am lazy. I assume that's what the eBay seller walnut cake linked to did but I'd be nervous buying on eBay.

I think I need to give a cheaper brand a whirl.

LynetteScavo Sun 10-Mar-13 19:45:15

Eww, no soap and glory is all packaging, great for teenagers, etc.....I agree with those who have mentioned QVC and Liz Earl. Or go to TK Maxx and see what they have got in.

JemimaPuddle Sun 10-Mar-13 19:38:28

You can always get marine cream on eBay at around £20. Cheapest way, other than eBay is QVC.

Walnutcakelover Sun 10-Mar-13 19:17:47
Jammygal Sun 10-Mar-13 18:59:55

If you are REALLY desperate you could get
this

Flog all other items on ebay and get the marine cream cheap or free...quite a bit of hassle but if needs must wink

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Sun 10-Mar-13 17:53:16
StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Sun 10-Mar-13 17:52:52

check out http://www.bravuralondon.com/ I have had lots of stuff from here recently and my skin is transfomed.

ponyandpotatopie Sun 10-Mar-13 17:45:25

I was going to recommend steam cream as well. very similar texture to marine cream but without the amazing fragrance.
Latest in beauty do boxes for about £20 and one has steam cream in amongst other stuff.

munchkinmaster Sun 10-Mar-13 17:12:39

So no links for marine cream for £20. I didn't really expect so. Thank you for all suggestions - I will test some of the cheaper creams. I really can't justify £150 on facial stuff (and even before I'd never have bought them all at once). It's partly psychological as I miss affording stuff like this, having facials, the gym, as I am such a 'mum' now. Realistically no one needs an £70 cream.

I also had to give up my elemis habit, until I discovered qvc do some sets where you can pay over 3 or 4 months, marine cream is usually included.

If that's still out with your budget, I recommend steam cream, around £12ish.

sh77 Sun 10-Mar-13 15:34:26

I love collagen cream also and have been searching for a cheaper one. Bravura London, which is highly rated on this board for the glycolic stuff have a collagen cream containing marine collagen. It is only a tenner but i cant find any reviews.

pleasethanks Sun 10-Mar-13 15:18:40

I also used to use elemis marine cream, but maternity leave and working part time don't really allow me to splurge on these things anymore!

I starting using this
www.superdrug.com/face/b-active-day-cream-spf-15-50ml/invt/574050

about a month ago and really really like it, does remind me of the marine cream to be honest. I also use the day serum. I also really rate the superdrug vit e hot cloth wash. Suits me far better than the liz earle one.

Bouncey Sun 10-Mar-13 15:09:07

I've used all of those products and agree they are lovely. As for alternatives, try browsing Sali Hughes' column in the guardian. She reviews lots of products and usually has a cheaper alternative.

I agree that liz Earle cleanser is lovely. For moisturiser, the boots time delay range is very good and around £10 for a moisturiser. I honestly can't tell the difference between it and more expensive brands, and I know it came out very highly in some consumer reviews.

I love Dermalogica too, but after hearing positive things about their products on S&B, thinking of trying La Roche Posay.

lottieandmia Sun 10-Mar-13 12:19:14

Sorry, just realised Beauty Bay don't do those brands.

BellaVita Sun 10-Mar-13 12:17:57

I do also like Liz Earle which I think is a good sub for Elemis.

lottieandmia Sun 10-Mar-13 12:14:26

Beauty Bay is good. If I'm ever too broke to buy my favourite brand (MD formulations) I get Nivea Q10 - I think that is quite good for what it is.

BellaVita Sun 10-Mar-13 12:11:39

I have bought from here before always seem to have some sort of offer on.

munchkinmaster Sun 10-Mar-13 12:08:43

Hi. I'm on mat leave at the moment and having to forgo my luxuries. I usually use dermatologica cleanser and daily microfiant and elemis marine cream. I'm out of them all and been using soap and glory I bought on offer.

But I look old and my skin looks grey. I'm sad.

Does anyone know any bargain websites or good alternatives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now