Sali Hughes' Top 50 Beauty Products

(81 Posts)
Hassled Sat 09-Mar-13 15:50:59

I can't believe I'm starting a S&B thread, given my lack of either, but I thought it was interesting - here. Sudacrem features, and I'm delighted to see Elnett (my grandmother swore by it!). Has anyone used a Revlon Lip Butter?

HollyBollyBooBoo Fri 22-Mar-13 11:28:51

Just bought a Sonicare toothbrush, half price at Boots plus another 10% off online. To be fair I did need a new electric toothbrush so feel justified in spending the £55!

valiumredhead Thu 21-Mar-13 16:24:08

Oh wow, just had another email thanking me for the feedback on here and a discount as a thank you. They are brilliant, they should give other companies lessons in good service! Can't wait to try them out now.

valiumredhead Thu 21-Mar-13 15:48:27

They are indeed, I just hope the sample kits hurry up!

i got a reply back already. They are wonderful smile

valiumredhead Thu 21-Mar-13 14:57:34

I have used Dermablend before and hated it, it was like dried up chalk.

valiumredhead Thu 21-Mar-13 14:57:09

Oooooo I have just googled - looks interesting! Their tester palette is £20 though <gulp> I wonder how it compares to Keromask?

BinksToEnlightenment Thu 21-Mar-13 14:28:01

I use Dermacolor, which is another type of camouflage concealer. It's absolutely bloody amazing and lasts forever. I got a pot in 2010 which is barely a quarter gone. I use it for under eye bags, spot covering, mix it with moisturiser to make my own tinted moisturiser and even to cover scars, which is what I actually got it for. It makes any blemish invisible.

valiumredhead Thu 21-Mar-13 12:53:48

I would email them, they are super helpful smile

valiumredhead Thu 21-Mar-13 12:53:25

I will do smile

I need a heavy duty concealor for rosacea, my skin is good and clear I just have really sensitive skin and the slightest change in temperature or warm food gives my rosy cheeks which I loathe <sigh>

There are 28 colours so one is bound to be a good match! Also they have setting powders which seem to be essential.

The sample kits will be in again in approx 4 weeks or so.

My cousin has vitiligo too on her arms and hands, would be fab to be able to conceal it.

Valium - Could you please let me know how they are? I also tried to get a sample kit.

Can I ask why you are looking at it? I have vitiligo (I think!) and as we are approaching summer it is going to get more obvious and I am desperate to be able to cover it up when needed.

In fact I may e mail them too.

valiumredhead Thu 21-Mar-13 12:25:13

On the back of this thread I tried to order some Keromask concealor but their sample kits were out of stock. I emailed and they replied almost immediately saying they won't be in for another few weeks but they would send my a colour matching card and then I could choose a sample from there. It only took 2 days for it to arrive and they also included lots of application advice. VERY impressed with their fab customer service. Will let you know how I get on with the concealor smile

MrsRadicchio Sat 16-Mar-13 21:57:59

Just bought pink truffle revlon lip butter today, tried it at home but colour is not me. Anyone interested in it? Pm me if so!

bluebump Sat 16-Mar-13 21:51:12

I have a Sonicare toothbrush and it is heaps better than my old Oral B one. Boots often have them half price, I waited for an offer before I got mine, it's the basic one and was £30 I think.

BanoffeeSplitz Sat 16-Mar-13 20:12:40

Any opinions on the pricier stuff like Sonicare toothbrushes & Corioliss straighteners?

Anyone going to admit to having tried Suqqu foundation grin?

BanoffeeSplitz Sat 16-Mar-13 20:09:55

Oooh - ta for reminding me about the evening primrose oil, I have a tub that I got from Holland & Barrett in the 1p sale before I remembered I don't bother taking it any more.

And for the link to Lisa Eldridge - I knew I'd seen someone showing how to use Clinique Black Honey as blusher, but couldn't remember who.

I now have a Smoky Eye pencil which I love - it's the first time I've had one of those smudgy end pencils that actually works.

And mini versions of Clinique Bottom Lash Mascara & Black Honey. Mascara seems pretty good, though I will have to try & remember to actually use it.
Black Honey is OK - does everything it promised but has an really greasy feel and old-fashioned lipstick smell. Though I am comparing it to Elizabeth Arden 8-Hour coloured lip balm in Plum which I love & is a much nicer (feeling & smelling) version of the same thing. If I hadn't tried that, I'd have been pretty happy with the Black Honey.

kiwigirl42 Sat 16-Mar-13 15:49:05

you can buy the Bioderma cleanser on ebay. In fact, I buy most of my cosmetics from ebay, once I've checked out swatches etc on google. Far cheaper

BinksToEnlightenment Sat 16-Mar-13 13:21:03

Highly recommended!

cornypony Sat 16-Mar-13 12:46:07

I keep meaning to get some evening primrose oil capsule...must write that down!

BinksToEnlightenment Sat 16-Mar-13 12:40:54

I tried her tip to pop an evening primrose oil capsule to use as a nighttime mousturiser.

I'm really impressed. My skin is lovely this morning.

anotheryearolder Fri 15-Mar-13 22:38:00

Jump I found the Clinique stuff really greasy and not particularily nice colours.
The Revlon lip butters are way better - lovely colours and gorgeously moisturising .( and cheaper !!)

cornypony Fri 15-Mar-13 12:34:11

I might get the Nars blusher. I have benetint- I don't rate it at all.

Nigella used to do the Sunday times beauty column- She
Recommended Laura merrier tinted moisturiser years ago and I've used it ever since.

JumpHerWho Fri 15-Mar-13 12:24:50

I prefer Lisa Eldridge, she seems more realistic. I'm sure I read that Sali is genuinely not bought by advertisers though, and I think Lisa is. All Sali's fans on the FB 'get the look' page wear v dramatic makeup with red lippie, which I can't do.

Aren't the Revlon lippies just total rip-offs of the Clinique butter shine ones?

They all copy each other, I got an email from NARS about a new lip crayon thing - that's a Clinique rip-off too.

valiumredhead Fri 15-Mar-13 11:30:05

* PINOT* there you are! <waves> smile

anneriordan Thu 14-Mar-13 18:49:30

Thank you oltt, armagh and pinot , will have a look. And the clinique lib balm, the real one in the opaque green tube, is wonderful. I had a tester yesterday and it lasted 8 hours! pay day soon...

Pinot Thu 14-Mar-13 10:48:00

Poppy King is on QVC now. And SpaceNK.

VitaCitral lip balm is the mutts. Got in France, darlings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now