Sali Hughes' Top 50 Beauty Products

(81 Posts)
Hassled Sat 09-Mar-13 15:50:59

I can't believe I'm starting a S&B thread, given my lack of either, but I thought it was interesting - here. Sudacrem features, and I'm delighted to see Elnett (my grandmother swore by it!). Has anyone used a Revlon Lip Butter?

domesticslattern Sat 09-Mar-13 23:45:42

I bought the lanolips stuff. Nuffink special tbh. I ordered it in a tint (rhubarb) and it's much like other lip balms tbh, like Kiehls and the rest. Does the job but not some wonder product imho.

BanoffeeSplitz Sun 10-Mar-13 00:30:43

I like the look of the Elizabeth Arden smoky eye pencil & I'm intrigued by the Clinique bottom lash mascara - I wear so little that I reckon this would do for my top lashes as well - if it really is smudgeproof.

I did wonder if perhaps she bought some much gentler body wash and used a lot less of it (she buys Palmolive shower cream by the dozen) perhaps she wouldn't have such dreadfully dehydrated skin. The reviews for the shower cream and the Neutrogena Deep Moisture Body Lotion are almost next to each other on the page - make the bloody connection woman!

I go to the gym or swim most days so I shower a lot - I still barely get through a bottle of shower gel in a year confused what's she doing with it all?

I really really want a Clarisonic now but they are a silly price! Has anyone got one and found it good for acne prone, congested skin?

squoosh Sun 10-Mar-13 01:26:42

You don't get through one bottle of shower gel in a year??????

Re. the Clairsonic, No 7 do a resonable dupe for approx £20.

AlisonMoyet Sun 10-Mar-13 07:28:26

The Clinique bottom lash mascara is AMAZING although will just use brush in other mascara when it finishes

AlisonMoyet Sun 10-Mar-13 07:32:36

I have an Arden pencil on graphite. The only eye pencil I've bought three times. Apart from mac PowerPoint in Prussian.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 10-Mar-13 08:02:34

I've found the palmers cocoa butter lip balm to be the best, it's whatever suits your skin. Others might hate it.

Doublebase do a shower gel, pricey but I bet the skins like satin when you dry it.

lurkingaround Sun 10-Mar-13 10:36:50

So, Sali Hughes. Is this just her opinion or based on surveys/sales/anything? Or is it because she landed on the beauty desk one day?
Agree, far to much shower gel!!! Washing herself down the drain!

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 10-Mar-13 10:44:41

Newby Hands was beauty editor for Harpers & Queen, she never put me wrong. She looks great for her age too.

I think she's on twitter now.

GinAndSlimlinePlease Sun 10-Mar-13 10:53:51

I love the Laura mercier tinted moisturiser, and the smash box primer has transformed my make up.

I'm intrigued by the revlon lip butter. my lips are too dry to wear normal lipstick, does it really work?

armagh Sun 10-Mar-13 11:19:03

Agree with Fluffy- Newby Hands is a great beauty journo

BagWoman Sun 10-Mar-13 16:11:58

Thanks for the link to the lip butter- looked in a large Boots today they had pink truffle but certainly not all the shades- maybe around 8 of them?

The thing is with all these articles- how much of the stuff has she been plied with on the basis she will give it a mention?

I know writers who go to press functions and come away with armfuls of stuff they are supposed to be unbiased in their reviews- but you never know, do you?

I am sure she will be given boxes of whatever she endorses- it's worth a fortune to the companies given the readership she has.

AlisonMoyet Sun 10-Mar-13 16:36:42

I think it's based on advertising spend ;)

squoosh Sun 10-Mar-13 16:57:23

I don't always rate the same products she does but I'm pretty sure her reviews are unbiased. Can't say for the same about the glossies which are unable to give a critical review of something for fear of pissing off the advertisers.

thank you squoosh, I will check it outsmile oh, and anyone who is acne prone, avoid the smashbox primer- broke me out something shocking.

thank you squoosh, I will check it outsmile oh, and anyone who is acne prone, avoid the smashbox primer- broke me out something shocking.

OneLittleToddleTerror Mon 11-Mar-13 10:51:59

I've had got some really good stuff based on her reviews. The revlon lip butters are one. I have very dry lips and can't wear lipsticks. They are a revelation.

Boots in store has a very limited range, but their website has a good selection. I use the pink truffle as a neutral lipstick. Shipping to store is free if you buy over £20.

CareerGirl01 Mon 11-Mar-13 10:55:01

I like Sali Hughes column but as someone who has worked alongside beauty editors and occasionally been asked to test stuff for features I would be wary. Personally I don't see how anyone can recommend so many products; how can you use them all and know what exactly is making your skin glow etc?

GetOrf Mon 11-Mar-13 11:05:54

I do like her webcasts and I would agree with a lot of those (especially the By Terry concealer and the revlon lipsticks).

She is far better than that ghastly woman with bad hair from the Times.

MonaLotte Mon 11-Mar-13 15:11:48

I've just ordered Macaroon Lip Butter and the new Wild Watermelon one. They are buy one get one half price in boots at the moment. Hope they are good. Getting fed up of Clinique Black Honey another Sali Hughes recommendation blush

armagh Tue 12-Mar-13 07:43:17

Get Orf which Times? Sunday times or The Times(daily).

armagh Tue 12-Mar-13 17:50:21

Get Orf who is 'that ghastly woman from the T imes with the awful hair' ?

BanoffeeSplitz Tue 12-Mar-13 18:51:28

Well I have ordered a mini version of the Clinique bottom lash mascara, doubled with a mini mascara (looks like it was overstock from a magazine freebie but they are usually a good size for me), and a Smoky Eye pencil for £5.95 with free delivery from FragranceMadsmile. Worth a punt at that price I reckon.

MonaLotte Wed 13-Mar-13 12:47:50

The lip butters arrived and the watermelon one is lovely but not sure about the macaroon it is very sparkly, maybe better for evening?

PuffPants Wed 13-Mar-13 12:54:35

I don't rate Salli Hughes at all. I watched an online clip of her applying make-up once and was shocked at how bad her finished look was.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now