Come and look at my pics and help me decide what to wear. Please be gentle with me!!

(48 Posts)
mawbroon Fri 08-Mar-13 22:00:01

We are going to an 80th birthday party on Sunday afternoon.

I am pretty clueless about style and beauty and there are only males in the house who have given me three different opinions on the outfits!!

Which one should I wear?

Stripey or flowery? Boots or pumps?

Fallenangle Sat 09-Mar-13 14:54:01

Another one who thinks the clothes are for someone bigger than you. What size are the clothes, and what size are you? I'll bet there are at least two sizes different? The stripey will look like you have just thrown on what you wear around the house because it is so big on you. A belt with the flowery perhaps. Definitely tights, not leggings, and some black heels. You need to go out and do some shopping - retail therapy is good for convalesents.

AgathaF Sat 09-Mar-13 14:51:25

Flowery and pumps but tights not leggings - thick tights preferably.

Enjoy the party.

Flowery and pumps - opaques not leggings. A little fitted cardigan or jacket over it would pull you in at the waist a bit. Ditch the leggings altogether - the stripes would be fine with skinnies and ankle boots or ballet pumps for weekend casual, just not for a party.

Hope you're better now.

bishboschone Sat 09-Mar-13 13:34:34

Flowery and pumps . Blue and black leggings doesn't go IMO . Boots are too heavy for short sleeves .

Flowery and pumps, but wear tights not leggings, they're too casual IMO. smile

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Sat 09-Mar-13 11:15:24

You could get some thick tights rather than leggings maybe in a colour from the dress, rather than black yes I agree the leggings and pumps draw attention to your ankles slim fitting trousers and a shorter to would be nice or flowery tunic with tights rather than leggings. I too think that you should ditch the baggiy stuff and go for fitted stuff.

Tyranasaurus Sat 09-Mar-13 07:43:35

flowery. You could get some thick tights rather than leggings maybe in a colour from the dress, rather than black

flowery and boots
maybe a belt ?a wide one

Bluelightsandsirens Fri 08-Mar-13 22:59:21

Another vote for flowery and pumps - enjoy

mawbroon Fri 08-Mar-13 22:58:57

Ok flowery and pumps it is. Thanks so much everybody! I was lacking a bit of confidence after being ill, so it's nice to know that I won't look like a fashion disaster at the party!

I'm off to bed now, thanks again smile

Coconutty Costa Rica Fri 08-Mar-13 22:52:52

Flowery and pumps 100%

Flowery & pumps!

mawbroon Fri 08-Mar-13 22:52:14

hippoCritt my sister gave me it a couple of years ago, I don't know where she got it from, but the label says pussycatlondon.com

rookie cafe grande sounds like a wild night out in my book too! We should do it smile

theoriginalandbestrookie Fri 08-Mar-13 22:49:44

Ha Ha I would offer to take you out on the town, but my idea of a wild night out involves a decaff coffee at Cafe Grande - maybe a cappucinno if I'm feeling frisky, which can be done in jeans.

TheSecondComing Fri 08-Mar-13 22:49:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hippoCritt Fri 08-Mar-13 22:47:07

I really like the flower one, may I ask where it's from?

If you can take the striped one back, It looks fine but I think you could fine one more flattering

mawbroon Fri 08-Mar-13 22:40:04

Like your new name rookie smile

Going to DH's uncle's 80th birthday party. Haven't been to any social occasions for what seems like years (probably because it has been bloody years!!)

theoriginalandbestrookie Fri 08-Mar-13 22:36:51

Yes tis me. Flowery one is really nice, realised after I posted that perhaps my second last remark wasn't helpful. Where are you off to?

mawbroon Fri 08-Mar-13 22:26:28

Grockle yes there is black in the flowery top.

Rookie (are you the rookie that I think you are??) that was the smallest size they had of the stripey jumper. The flowery one is a couple of years old so no option of another size.

pourmeanotherglass Fri 08-Mar-13 22:24:08

Another vote for flowery/pumps.

stripy is nice but not very party-ish.

theoriginalandbestrookie Fri 08-Mar-13 22:22:49

Hi there, hope you are going somewhere nice.

I think they both look good - I like the stripy one as its something you would get more daytime wear out of the jumper.

Did you try them a size smaller as the jumper could maybe do with being a bit tighter?
But overall both very nice and good to see you treating yourself.

hugoagogo Fri 08-Mar-13 22:22:32

How pleasing.

I answered without reading the rest of the thread and most people agree. grin

I would also agree that you could get away with something less cover uppy.

Grockle Fri 08-Mar-13 22:20:37

Flowery and pumps. But not black leggings unless the top has black in it too. If not, I'd try to get leggings/ tights in a colour that complements the dress.

QuickLookBusy Fri 08-Mar-13 22:19:18

Hope you are on the mend now mawbroon.

I think you should take the stripy one back and buy something a bit shorter and more fitted. If you've got it flaunt it!

mawbroon Fri 08-Mar-13 22:17:02

So, is the stripey one just wrong then? Will I take it back to the shop for a refund or does it have potential?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now